“Excellent, Highly Recommended”

Ranked #14 of 64 Hotels in Perth
Perth, Western Australia
“Excellent, Highly Recommended”
Reviewed 14 April 2014

The Duxton was everything that a quality hotel should be. Comfortable, welcoming, sedate, well presented and clean. The staff were efficient, well dressed and pleasant. I would recommend the Duxton unreservedly.

Room Tip: Don't be too enticed by the river views at the back of the hotel although they are great. The fr...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Avogil,

I appreciate your wonderful review and glad that the hotel was everything you expected.

Bruce G. Doig

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Brisbane
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed four nights for a business event. I was very fortunate to be upgraded to a King suite and although I didn't have a view of the Swan River it was a very nice room. My colleagues had other room types and all were pleasantly surprised with the room space. Rooms are very clean and well presented. I had access to the Club lounge and enjoyed breakfast (included in the room rate) with a beautiful view of the river. The scrambled eggs looked dismal but everything else was very good and plentiful. The service in this hotel is above and beyond, all staff were friendly and helpful. The Grill restaurant was excellent as was the event catering.

The hotel location is great, lends itself to some good walks on the river and also walking distance to the main streets of Perth CBD.

Overall I would recommend this hotel, its only negative is the cost per night, however Perth is a very expensive city for accommodation at the best of times.

Dear KarePhilBrisbane,

May I take this opportunity to thankyou for your positive review on the hotel and our facilities and services. I will ensure that the team recieves the praise that they deserve. I have addressed the eggs with our Club Manager and Chef, change has occurred.
Hopefully we are able to be of service to you in the future.

Kind Regards

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 10 April 2014

As far a Perth hotels go this is a good one. I moved from here to the Crown Promenade which was dreadful. Good location, clean, nicely appointed and I had a great view. Staff were extremely helpful with all my questions regarding Perth and the locale.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a good view
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear JW_Melb,

I appreciate your comments on our hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Best Wishes

New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Upon first look, the hotel is quite nice, with its beautiful, spacious lobby and its clean hallways. The choice of window design by the architect is rather unfortunate, as it makes the rooms feel darker and smaller than they actually are (there are 2 thin, long windows standing vertically with seemingly useless wall space in between them, rather than one large window)

I had a "standard room", so while it was facing the river, my main view was the building standing in between the Duxton and the river, from behind which the river peered out. I still preferred this to the other "standard room" option, which was simply facing the city side. The room was clean with nice, wooden closets, and a comfortable bed. The staff was friendly and helpful.

The one big red flag was the terrible WiFi. With these room rates, one would expect better internet connection than what was available. This would very easily be the reason why many business travelers will never stay here again, so I encourage the hotel to fix this issue ASAP.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear kgNY2014,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. In regards to your comments on the windows in the room, unfortunately the building was originally a government taxation office and refurbished to the current hotel in 1994 opened in 1996.
I was glad to read that your room and service was excellent and in regards to our WiFi I agree with you that it is not up to standard as we are experiencing signal pocket but we are currently upgrading our WiFi as a matter of priority, as I agree with you this is vital in any hotels' service.
I apologise for the inconvenience this has caused you. Thank you for selecting our hotel for your stay in Perth.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

Recently stayed for three nights - good location, comfortable rooms, solid wifi service - a good business hotel.

On the last night I had the worst room service I've ever seen - supposed to be fish and chips, but more closely resembled cardboard with a side of shoe leather.

Mentioned it on checkout and it was removed from the bill, but why it went out that way in the first place is beyond me!

1 Thank BH02
Dear BH02,

I appreciate your feedback on the comfort of your room. I have also personally spoken to our Executive Chef and have made the immediate changes to the type of fish being used and the overall presentation of the dish. I apologise that you have experienced this poor standard and wish to reassure you that the quality of the room service Fish & Chips has been rectified.
Thank you for your feedback and the difference that you have made because of your comments.

Washington, DC
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

This is the first really bad review I have ever written on here.

The room itself is just fine. Clean. Basic. Beautiful view. And the location of the hotel is great.

However, the wifi is the single worst wifi I have ever had in any hotel anywhere in the world. How dare they claim to be a business hotel. I lost multiple calls (as in more than a dozen) over the course of 3 nights. Connectivity on my iPhone and laptop would go out regularly in the middle of working on a document. In short it was totally impossible to be productive from this hotel.

Second, the gym is total garbage. For a hotel of this size it's a joke. Given the rates they charge they need to start putting $$ toward new gym facilities.

So frustrated by the whole experience.

2 Thank dcdavid20003
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

Arrived and up graded to the club room and all I can say is why was it better
We had breakfast in the club breakfast room everything was cold and I was left thinking breakfast would have been better in the main area
Cold scrambled egg and cold poached eggs which were totally horrible followed by half cooked bacon
The room with all the old fashion wood paneling didn't do much for me either
The dining area look like a miss match of styles did they just grab left over decor and throw in this room
I would not stay here again and beware of the 40 dollars for them to park your car it may be worth them mentioning this to their patrons

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Dear Motherofluzza,

I appreciate your comments on the room decor and unfortunately everyone has their own personal opinion. The temperature of the Executive Club Lounge Eggs has not been delivered and I apologise this is not our usual high standard, I have rectified the problem immediately.

I fully understand that you have made the decision not to use the hotel again although we have alot of guests that enjoy our hotel and service excellence. Thank you for your valuable comments and most importantly your time to comment on TripAdvisor.