“Rip off”
Review of Duxton Hotel

Duxton Hotel
Ranked #15 of 65 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night after attending a conference in Perth. Was asked to pay $300 on my Visa card at check in to cover any potential spending (the room was already paid for $279 for one night, no breakfast included)! Then paid $25 for a baguette a few chips. The room had only two teabags, when I requested an extra two teabags in return from the conference dinner, room service appeared with 6 teapots of English breakfast tea 30 minutes later. When I advised I only wanted teabags the staff remember remarked how busy they were? Really disappointed in the 'customer service' for the price I paid.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Bev J
Write a ReviewReviews (1,174)

Reviewed 10 May 2014

The DUXTON …great alternative to big brands.

I am here in Perth on business & took the opportunity to get away from the “other brand” hotels that I usually stay at. (Got all the Frequent Flyer CARDS) So far a reasonable experience and I would recommend the property. Some pluses:
Location - Literally blocks from the business district so an easy walk or chauffeur car to the office.
Amenities - All the necessities like an …. ok gym & adequate business centre.
Bar - After a couple of visits the bar tender knew my drink …..excellent.
Food - Limited selection in the bar but ample in the main restaurant.

In the neighborhood and especially along Hay Street lots of variety in restaurants. Even a Dome & Indian restaurant just across the street. Or if you prefer Fast Food Sushi or Pub Food (Gosvenor Pub). Great walks along St Georges or along the Swan River.

In the room:
Size – My choice was a king bed as I am here for a month. Surprise ....lots of room.
TV – A flat screen with adequate stations
B-Room – The bathroom is nice and big which I really like in a standard room
Lastly, the fridge is stocked with a few beers in case you get thirsty! Good internet for the laptop & PDA.

My plus is good service. I appreciate a smile & genuine hello as I come out of my room. That continues at the front desk & concierge station. Otherwise, no big wow at the DUXTON, just a great place to “live” for a few weeks.

Safe travels. Hope this was helpful
Drop me a note MikeN

Room Tip: End of the corridor - Pick the Swan River side
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 May 2014

A beautiful, luxury hotel in a great location. We stayed in a King club room with a view of the river. I couldn't fault the room - tasteful furnishings; spacious, very comfortable bed; luxury toiletries. Club lounge nice but gets crowded on a Saturday - arrive on time. Foyer beautiful; valet service, concierge and reception staff were excellent.

The only thing that lets this hotel down is the food. We stayed in the hotel for one week and ordered room service once (very bland and pricey) and had breakfast and canapes every day in the club lounge. Breakfast had all the basics. Canapes were plentiful but quality was very pedestrian. The food just didn't match the level of luxury that the hotel exhibits in every other way.

Despite this, it was a very comfortable stay; great value for money (for the accommodation) and we would stay here again.

Room Tip: Worth getting a room with a view of the river.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OTRA_13
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Stayed here with my two children in April school holidays. I have stayed here before a couple of times prior and was looking forward to the revamped décor and restaurant. I had really enjoyed the restaurant last time. As you enter the foyer it is quite beautiful and clean. I had a really great experience with all the staff (as I had the previous stays) they were all friendly and helpful. My son had an operation whilst we were there and the concierge even put him in the trolley to help escort him to his room. I found the beds to be comfy and we all slept great. The exception was the noisy people on the first night which kept me awake so soundproofing is not a standout feature. Fortunately the noisy people must of checked out the following day so for the next 4 nights we slept lovely. The restaurant has also been revamped and looks fantastic - however the food was (I would like to say crap but seems a bit harsh) not cooked correctly. I had the poached marron which for $24 you got two spoons of marron - which would not have been so bad but it was over cooked and rubbery. I had the mushroom risotto for my main (I love risotto) but there was something hard and chewy in it (a mushy stem?). Thought I'd try the chocolate sponge dessert with pistachio ice cream and a warm choc shot. The choc shot was great. The sponge was over cooked and just plain weird with the pistachio ice cream just didn't work. The kids meals were standard and included ice cream. However it was annoying as we stayed 5 nights and we had to find other places to dine which is an inconvenience with young kids. I had to dine there again and had the fish of the day with potatoes and a bernaise sauce which was actually really nice. I did notice there were different chefs on than the previous disaster. We also ate there on the last night as my son had been in surgery so we ordered room service. Just fish and chips and nuggets and chips. Fish was overcooked, and my daughter received fish and chips instead of nuggets so we had to change that. I was quite disappointed with the restaurant and had a better meal at the Grosvenor down the road which is just a pub. Not sure if I would stay again as it is a nuisance finding somewhere else to eat. I did however love the service. One thing (I know this is standard) but $15.95 for a kids movie is ridiculous.

Room Tip: Ask for a upgrade - for a water view.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Booked a club room for our fifth anniversary, first time back to the Duxton in a few years and very impressed with the changes to the rooms, restaurant and club facilities.
Spoke to staff prior to confirmation of booking to ensure gluten free food would be available in the club lounge for Marie who is Coeliac and were delighted to find that all promises were kept down to the Canapés and other items including desserts in the evening and cereal and bread for breakfast, what a huge relief for both of us.
Staff in the club lounge were excellent and very attentive to all guests, view from the lounge over the river would be best in Perth, valet parking and check in / out, all faultless.

For us, a very memorable visit and one we shall repeat later in the year for a two night weekend
to allow time to relax in the surroundings and explore the city more carefully even though we live and work in Perth.
Duxton is good value for money and provides a level of service which exceeds that of the other two or three 5 star hotels within striking distance down Adelaide terrace and over the river.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the river if available, great to look out late at night all the way to Freo.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Often wondered what this hotel would be like.. And as I was going to a concert nearby decided to stay here. Entrance and valet service excellent. Entrance impressive and have to say it reminded me of the grand continental hotel in KL excellent . Rooms large clean and we'll furnished clean excellent I would stay again. Restaurant downstairs hmm sorry food had no flavor the hamburger meal (yes I know a hamburger) but I was starving and wanted something to fill me.... We'll it read very impressive but a boiled meat patty on cold bun with flavorless ingredients sorry huge let down for such a classy looking restaurant... but a least the small bowl of chips on the side was nice In fact I'd just order them next time so I don't recommends the Burger $30.00 by the way not $8.00 but don't let my experience put you off, as many meals around me looked a lot nicer all down to choice ..... Hot drinks great let down to the coffee snob and hot chocolate lovers.... But not the end of the world because Breakfast in the morning downstairs.... Excellent 5 stars .....and also the hot drinks what happened perfect....so unfortunately I want be dining at there at night only for breakfast ...
All in all if you are from KL you will love this hotel it reminds me of the grand continental hotel and you will love the breakfast very up to date with the worlds standard of travel and what people love so well done... I'd recommend this hotel

Room Tip: Deluxe with breakfast
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I am half way into a four day stay and wish I could cancel the rest of the stay and go to another hotel.

I booked the Duxton because I am familiar with the brand and it has a good reputation in my home country.

My first impression of the Duxton was terrible. The taxi dropped me off at the entrance and I was greeted by a member of the concierge team who watched me struggle to unload my laptop case onto my suitcase then just left me to take care of my luggage. Um, what exactly is your job if you don't help with luggage? As a solo female traveler off a long distance flight late at night, it would be appreciated if the concierge team helped with luggage as they do at every other hotel.

I booked a taxi for the next day on arrival then went back up to my room to check my schedule and found that I needed to change the taxi time by half an hour. I was assured that would be done and yet again the bumbling concierge team wasn't able to do their job and the taxi time was not changed at all.

Yesterday evening I went back to the dreaded concierge desk only to find it empty. I waited for ten minutes along with a couple who commented "It feels like there's never anyone here". I'm not sure what this concierge team actually does, but it's definitely not their jobs.

Thankfully this evening the staff actually attended their desk and assisted with my enquiry. I guess one out of four times ain't bad.

Wifi connection in the bedroom is appalling. It drops off after five minutes which is bad enough but when you try to log on again, you have to re-enter the password every time. The signal is slow when you do manage to get connected.

Breakfast variety is fine and service decent. The room is comfortable but the soundproofing is not great - sound enters from both the front door and adjoining rooms.

The outsourced massage service which is held in room was very good last night. A little expensive but as the quality was good, it was worth it. Have booked another for tonight.

I'd be ok with it if this room was maybe $150 per night. Sadly I think I'm paying over double for service and internet that is better in hotels in third world countries.

Not coming back to stay and feeding back to my workplace that we do not want to hold a conference here.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business