Duxton Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Travelodge Hotel Perth(Perth)(Great Value!)
US$86
  • Room Service
Fraser Suites Perth(Perth)(Great Value!)
US$146
US$114
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Perth City Centre(Perth)(Great Value!)
US$109
  • Room Service
Mantra on Murray(Perth)(Great Value!)
US$108
US$99
Hotel Northbridge(Perth)
US$152
US$86
  • Restaurant
Miss Maud Hotel(Perth)(Great Value!)
US$109
US$64
US$52
Priceline
1,197 results
All reviewsthe club loungefirewater grilleswan rivervalet parkingclub king roomhigh teaconcert hallpillow menubusiness hotelview of the riverlobby barroom servicebusiness tripcomfortable hotelperth hotelsbuffet breakfastcentral location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed here only as the bridge-and-groom to be for a wedding we'd travelled to Perth for were staying here.

As a business hotel, I'd have complained about the small desk area and the slow check-in. As a tourist with my wife, I am going to complain that it felt like a business hotel.

There was nothing wrong with the service, the room (in fact, we had a huge bathroom), or the restaurants. There was just nothing noteworthy either.

The one thing that did stick in my mind was the restaurant, I recall the steak being good, but the bar staff could not make even the most simple cocktails to save their lives! Being regular travellers, particularly having spent a lot of time in the US where service really is a priority, we send anything back that's not up to scratch. This was to the horror of my Aussie friends (I'm used to that, Kiwi's hate when I do it too) but also seemed to surprise the staff... which begs the questions: has no one every given you feedback before (because you really messed this up), or do you not want to know there is a problem so you can improve?

That said, the staff were very nice and friendly. I like Perth and Western Australians generally, so we had a nice stay. No reason not to stay here, just no reason to stay either.

Room Tip: Ask for one up high (so you can see over the adjacent building) with a view of the harbour.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stayed three nights. With valet parking and 10 -15 minute walk to Hay Street Mall the car wasn't required during the day for shopping.
Staff very friendly.
A little bit stingy on milk, tea and coffee in the room, but that is the only really minor negative to a lovely stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Well , australia is an expensive country , normal as they are at the bottom of the earth and all goods needs ages to be transited , therefore the hotel room price will be expensive. Menu variety is ok but again a pizza for 24$ is too much....breakfast not bad at all very friendly staff specially at the breakfast restaurant. I did not receive a wake up call , the concierge came and knocked at my door , lucky i had my alarm on. Internet not the best....connection keeps cutting. Location perfect walking distance from williams street where you can find all....mini bar available , iron board and machine , tea coffee all in the room. Gym basic nothing special no modern equipments but will do the job completely... The walls are very thin you can here all the conversation next room....that night one lady she was getting laid and sounded did not get some for long time....was bit annoying but funny...at the end i fell asleep.

Room Tip: All are the same i think , i have been 4 times
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank ClimberCanada
Reviewed 12 July 2014

This was the first experience of a 5-star hotel for my wife and me - and we left with mixed feelings, after five nights.

Seems to me that the Duxton is geared toward single-occupancy by the Business community and not the holidaymaker..

To illustrate my point, the hotel knew that we were a couple, but our room was setup for one person, in that the bathroom toiletries included, among others, one, 15ml bottle of shampoo, so that little would remain after my wife shampooed. After shampooing, she would use a second towel to dry her hair.
The room contained only two bath towels, so a call would be needed to Housekeeping to provide more, or else I would have to dry off with a hand-towel. And those dinky little bottles of toiletries by Peter Morrissey were identified in a font so small, that one would have to duck out into the room for spectacles. The short-fall was swiftly rectified, after speaking to Reception.

It seems that the days of expecting a toothbrush and shaving gear in hotel rooms are long gone and the Duxton is no exception. Perhaps to enjoy these basics, one only has to ask. But, for my money, one should not have to ask! Not once were we asked if the room was alright.

Our room was immaculately prepared and we had no complaints about cleanliness and comfort of the king-size bed. The corridors were wallpapered and the very clean carpet appeared in good condition.

Like to watch a little television? The channel list was on-screen, but, as for a tv guide - forget that. And channel selection had to be done by using the channel up/down button, so it took a while to move from a channel with a low number to a high number. And, from memory, there were about 40 channels available. I'm told to blame that on the 'system', which is not controlled by the hotel.Turn up the tv programs from the newspaper, you shout? The Duxton doesn't offer a morning paper. We are talking five-star hotel - aren't we?

Room Service was prompt and the food delicious - and so it should be, with the prices they charge, eg, bangers and mash were a great taste, at $30; a steak sandwich at $26.

And something to make guests without sponsorship suck in their breath - the laundry charge for one handkerchief, ranged from $8 to $10. A trip to Target, anybody? There are guest laundry facilities available, with complimentary washing powder on hand.

The Duxton came across to us as catering for the businessman, who could rely on their company to provide those little necessities/niceties during a hotel stay. The staff attitude seems to be to not speak unless spoken to.

Almost invariably, hotels we've stayed at have catered for tourists, with dedicated desks, racks behind which contained rows of trip and tour brochures - but not the Duxton. Sure, the Concierge desk, manned by the very helpful Michael and Paul (did I get the name correct?) handed out maps of Perth and the four free bus routes around the area, but, it seemed, there was no other tourist material in sight.

Complimentary Wi-Fi was on hand for guests, but in our room poor connection, frequent drop-outs and slow speeds were also complimentary, unless one tried one's luck after the business guests had left in the morning, or late at night Typical hotel, perhaps?.

The hotel is located not far from the major shopping centre, but apart from the awning out front, there's scant protection from the elements, however, the hotel will lend an umbrella, gratis. From what I saw, Perth does not offer a lot of weather protection by way of awnings in the streets, so take a raincoat.

So, there it is - a senior citizen's impressions of the Duxton Hotel. An establishment not for families hell-bent on an economical holiday in Perth. Perhaps my judgement is a little clouded by a dozen stays at Traders Hotel in Penang, where they know how to provide service to business and tourist guests alike.

Room Tip: Go for one at the rear of the hotel, overlooking the beautiful Swan River. Our room offered views to the sides of a large building between hotel and river. Still the views were good. Oh, and a taxi ride from Perth airport to the hotel is indicated, as the shuttle service drops passengers hundreds of metres from the Duxton and no closer.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NOELGORDON
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

As a corporate guest we stayed more often than monthly on average, for over a year and on one occasion for 8 days in a Club room as we were moving house.

During our stays we came to feel very at home at the Duxton. Areas most appreciated were excellent concierge services, efficient reception and comfortable Club rooms. Views from the Club lounge are magnificent. Location is good.

A number of 'not-so-good' features do exist (mostly around restaurant & poor food) but on balance we enjoyed our stays thanks to hard working friendly customer-level staff.

Unfortunately bureacracy reigns supreme at the Duxton! When the company corporate rate ceased this year an approach was made to a lower level (Sales) manager to whom we were referred to discuss a reasonable ongoing rate. Given our future frequent stays, not all of which are work related, our customer loyalty and our long history of positive experience at the hotel we felt this was a reasonable request. We received an insulting and negligible $$ brush off! At the time of discussing this we were actually in the hotel. The person concerned did not have the courtesy to meet face to face but rang the room!?

What had become our home away from home had let us down through pure & simple bad and possibly inexperienced customer service.
This occured some time ago now and left us feeling very underwhelmed & undervalued as a guest.

Time has passed and our city accommodation requirements are now being very well catered for elsewhere no thanks to the Duxton.

Stayed: February 2014