“Good Central hotel”

Ranked #14 of 64 Hotels in Perth
Sydney, Australia
“Good Central hotel”
Reviewed 11 November 2008

Had to stay in Perth on business for 1 night only and found Perth vitually booked out. Managed to find the Duxton on wotif at the last moment. The hotel certainly can be classed as 5 star and has all amenities. Nothing outstanding, though I only stayed 1 night. Friendly and efficient staff and room could be any Sheraton or Hilton. Shower was exceptional. Bit overpriced but I put that down to the lack of 5 star rooms in the city.

• Liked — Efficient staff, shower
  • Disliked — Price
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Perth
Reviewed 9 November 2008

I stayed here for our wedding night and have to say this is a poor 5 star hotel. Rooms were nice but basic layout, but no toobrush/toopaste, razor blades, tea/coffee making facilities etc. The room was not cheap- cost $260 for a night. The hotel was well aware this was our honeymoon and I certainly would have expected something extra.
My wife unfortunately had her change of clothes mixed up and didnt have them in the morning- breakfast was rushed as the hotel would not let us transfer our buffet breakfast to a room service breakfast.
We didnt use the pool- it was fairly small and in a very shady area.
I certainly would not stay here again- I have no doubt their are better value nicer hotels in the vicinity.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MerlsWA
London
Reviewed 28 August 2008

The Duxton was apparently converted from a government office block and this is pretty obvious in its boxy appearance. It's perfectly adequate as a business hotel, but really nothing special. Once you throw the prices that they are clearly able to get away with due to the mining boom into the mix, it is really poor value for money.

• Liked — Reasonable location
  • Disliked — Poor value for money
Sydney
Reviewed 24 August 2008

I stayed @ the Duxton hotel in Feb for two nights with my mum. I have to say it wasn't too bad. The room was pretty nice and clean, we stayed in a twin room and the beds were comfy. The bar fridge was well stocked and the bathroom was pretty good and clean as well. The hotel wasn't overly busy and overall the stay was pretty quiet. For the first night we had dinner down stars @ the restaurant, the food was pretty bad... I had the duck and let me tell you I nearly puked because it tasted so disgusting.

The daily turnover service was efficient and it was nice to come back to a clean room with fresh towels and bed made.

The guys at the front desk were ok, I requested an early check in and a late check out and they were happy to accomodate my request with out charging me extra.

The hotel pool and spa were a bit of a joke tho, they seriously need to upgrade.

Overall I had a pleasant experience with the Duxton and would stay here again if I return to Perth.

• Liked — Clean Room
  • Disliked — Restaurant
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled on business
Melbourne
Reviewed 21 August 2008

The only reason I booked this hotel is because it is the closest one to our Perth offices. I've stayed here before about a year ago...and thought the hotel might have been upgraded in some way but instead it only seems to have gone (further) downhill. Instead of the king bed room that I'd booked I arrived to find that I'd been given two single beds. Upon calling the receptionist to ask what happened to my king bed, he didn't really have a decent explaination for why I didn't get the room I'd booked a few weeks ago except to say I'd been "upgraded" to a river view room, which to me is hardly a consolation for a small bed.
The rooms are definitely in need of a revamp - the mismatched brown furniture is dated and old....the television is similar to something I owned in the 1980's....both lamps had temperamental switches...and the walls are paper thin.
For some reason the beds only have duvet covers without inners in them, so are in no way cosy or warm - more like sleeping with just a sheet on. And the brown vallances had dodgy white stains all over them.
I can't say the room service food was good either - I ordered fish and chips which arrived luke warm and soggy, as if they'd been sitting around for 20 minutes....I could have bought something of much better quality (and cheaper!) down at the chipper.
There's actually nothing good that I have to say about the Duxton. I will not stay here again....I would rather stay somewhere further from the office if it means a better quality hotel room.

• Liked — Close to work
  • Disliked — Beds, decor, food
3 Thank kunkachoo
New York
Reviewed 11 August 2008

A really disappointing hotel for the price. No frills in every way. Uncomfortable bed and pillows (although I hear I can ask for nicer ones). I can hear the people in the next rooms. My room faces onto another building. It is much more like rooms priced in the $150 - 200 category, not $300 - 350.

2 Thank OzEnigma
Dubai
Reviewed 14 June 2008

I stay in alot of different hotels all over the world, and while I would not consider this the worst or the best of the bunch. It is the first hotel that has ever allocated me a room without a bed inside! After a long flight and feeling very exhuasted I checked into the hotel and on lugging my suitcase to my room, I realized there was not even a bed inside the room!

Worse things have happened I guess, a previous hotel in Holland allocated me and another collegue the same room by accident and there was no chain lock on the door so the collegue walked straight in on me in the bathroom!

Hmmmmm.......... more attention to detail is needed in some of these big hotels. However I accept that everyone makes mistakes.

Stayed March 2008