“Quirky Lift”
Review of Miss Maud Hotel

Miss Maud Hotel
Ranked #9 of 66 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed 10 January 2012

We recently had a very short stay at this Hotel.

We arrived from the UK in the wee hours and needed somewhere basically to sleep for a few hours. Consequently we were looking for something "cheap and cheerful". When we arrived we were checked in with a smile and the miniscule elevator was explained to us in regards to keeping it open etc. As we were very jetlagged and had a lot of luggage we were not really amused at the time as we had to make two trips up to our floor. However, the room, although dated was fine and the bed quite comfy. We managed to get a few hours sleep and then had a lovely breakfast in the Miss Mauds restaurant - which we thoroughly enjoyed.

In summary, this is a good hotel for a reasonably priced stopover and if you like quirkiness - this is it. The location for walks into the City, nearby sights and public transport is excellent too.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Aussies10
There are newer reviews for Miss Maud Hotel

Reviewed 9 January 2012

Having lived in Perth some time ago, I had heard of Miss Maud's, but not stayed there before the Christmas/New Year week recently. The hotel is well located for the city centre and most transport is a moderate walk away or accessible using the CAT buses (a useful feature of Perth).

Although very smail (not really large enough for two people), the room was spotlessly clean and included all the usual amenities and furnished in '70's chic. A major problem, though, was the lack of sound proofing of the neighboring plumbinig,and I was woken in the middle of the night a number of times by what sounded like someone taking a shower next to my head - very intrusive!!

Breakfast was included in the tariff and it was great, with suitably festive Swedish decorations for the time of year, adding a festive touch. The restaurant staff were particularly friendly.

A major drawback, as mentioned in other reviews were the steps leading up to the ancient lift, which were difficult to negotiate on my own. I also had to drag my bags down from the first floor, when checking out as it appeared that the lift wasn't working. "Oh, the door down here probably wasn't closed", was the comment of the receptionist when I informed her of the issue - not very helpful when I was standing on the first floor lift lobby.

Overall, the good probably equalled the not so good and Miss Maud's suited me for the time I was in Perth this summer.

Room Tip: Look at the room size, if possible, many are very small. Also, see if you can find out which rooms...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Overpriced, very standard room with view on concrete wall. Reception guy unfriendly and helping at all. Way overpriced

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank frebnn
Reviewed 8 January 2012

I share many of the comments of other reviewers, however my Partner and I loved the quirkiness. The lift was something out of a movie and we giggled with holding the door open with cord as we got out our luggage. We are youngish and fit and could understand how for older travels or those with children the self help attitude of the staff may seen frustrating. We had a room on the main road but did not find noise from the street a problem. The breakfast was good and made even more enjoyable by the staff who were friendly and clearly proud of their restaurant. Miss Maud's breakfast restaurant is used by locals and I loved having breakfast with the local community, including Priests and Police Officers. Great location, I would stay again, I am pleases we did not have a car.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lynn262305
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Just ok but in a city like perth which is very expensive can't expect much

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Foodcoffeetravel
Reviewed 26 December 2011

We had chosen this hotel because of the good reviews on the breakfast and location, also taking into consideration that we were not driving during our 2 nights stay here. True enough, we had to carry our luggage up a flight of stairs (about 5 steps to the lift & another 2 steps along the corridor to the rooms) and had to use the antique lift that required us to slide the door. However, it was an experience and the children loved the lift. Since it is a boutique hotel, so the small & cozy receptionist area was within our expectation. No big crowd in the hotel, so check-in and out were within minutes.

The rooms were clean, reasonably size and tastefully decorated, though some rooms were better. Our rooms were away from the lift so noise was not an issue. Two of our connecting rooms even had private corridor.

Breakfast was ok but I guessed the standard was above average by applying the Western standard.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank SGHo
Reviewed 18 December 2011

The location of the hotel is very central on Murray Street. The restaurant attached to the hotel is excellent. That unfortunately are the only really positive things I can say. The hotel reception is small, and once you have checked in you immediately have to negotiate about ten steep steps. There was no offer of help with suitcases, and on a number of occasions I helped other guests lift their suitcases up and down the stairs. You then had a choice of using a very small old fashioned lift or trying to drag your cases up a very narrow steep staircase. The room we had which was a double with balcony was not very big, but it did have a decent sized bed which totally dominated the room. We were there for six nights, and the bed sheets were never changed in that time. Our biggest problem was the street noise. From Tuesday to Friday workmen were renewing the pavements immediately outside the hotel, and started work at 6.45am. We obviously accept that this was out of the hotel's control, but a note advising us of the situation with perhaps an apology for the inconvenience would have been appreciated. The situation at the weekend was even worse. On Friday and Saturday evening the area directly under the balcony becomes a major taxi rank, and the noise went on until 5.30am both nights. There is no parking at the hotel, and parking in the City is expensive as you can imagine, but that was my own fault for not checking that out before I booked. Finally there was never anyone on recepttion whenever you came in or out of the hotel, no welcoming smile or sign of appreciation for your custom. I would definitely not return to this hotel, and can honestly say that without the restaurant I would have struggled to give a two point rating.

Room Tip: Avoid room 133!!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple