“Good value”
Review of Miss Maud Hotel

Miss Maud Hotel
Ranked #9 of 66 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed 20 December 2006

Decided to give this property a try after reading Tripadvisor reviews. Stayed for 4 nights and then 1more night later - in mid October 2006.
Location is excellent for travellersnot using a car - handy for tour buses and all public transport.
Rooms are small - definitely European rather than Nth American style - but very clean and well maintained. Murals are a bit much and using wallpaper especially in bathrooms can make them look a bit shabby.
Furnishings were adequate - as a tourist I didn't plan on spending much time in a hotel so didn't want lots of "facilities" -spa,gym,pool etc.
The included breakfast was excellent - I paid up to $25 in other hotels on this trip for a breakfast that was not as good.
Service was good - on the second visit I was checking in very late - no problem - and I had to leave early for a flight - breakfast was brought to the room.
Altogether this hotel is excellent value

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled solo
11  Thank Ian-BC

Reviewed 9 December 2006

There was nothing outstanding about this hotel whatsoever.

Although Miss Maud's website showed that the hotel was completely booked out, I booked a room by calling the hotel directly. I am unsure why the website showed no rooms available when their clearly was.

I'm still trying to comprehend what the last reviewer was carrying on about having to admit the hotel had "character". I didn't see anything resembling character in my converted store-room hotel room (literally, I think it was a store room at one stage). I saw tackiness at its best.

The room was virtually the width of the double bed. It had a huge step at the front door with a warning sign displayed. The store room adjacent also had the same step.

The room also featured one of the murals that have been mentioned elsewhere on this site. Simply put, the mural was an extremely tacky image of a waterfall, and was the size of the entire wall. It did not look Swedish whatsoever, but closely resembled something from a 1970's motel room.

The furniture consisted of those "assemble yourself" pine desks, chair and mirror frames you see at furtniture warehouse. I haven't seen anything like this in a hotel room.

Having said that, my room was clean, and oddly had the LARGEST LCD television I have ever seen in a hotel. Talk about a contrast between an awesome television and a run-down hotel room!

The bathroom was quite good and was nice and clean. It appeared to have been recently refurbished - only the corroded shower head suggested it may have been refurbished a few years ago.

Some sort of 1950's public bathroom was opposite my room (why was there even a public bathroom in the hotel area, when each room as ensuite bathrooms?), and another door marked "staff only" which seemed to be frequented by people talking around it early in the morning.

There was also this odd alarm bell which went off for short periods at any time of the day, even when we were sleeping. What was it for? I do not know, but it was annoying.

The hallways are tacky and dated, and fluoro lighting and tired wallpaper throughout them makes the place look very cheap.

The breakfast is a nice inclusion, and isn't too bad. The selection is average, but it certainly does the job. I do not see it as a drawcard to coming back and staying here though.

Be aware though the the hotel does not have ironing boards or irons in the room. I cannot understand why some hotels still do not offer this most basic and fundamental feature. There is a communal laundry room, but a sign in my room stated that it closes at 8pm for some reason - I guess the hotel expects us to skip a day from our holidays to do our washing in the middle of the day. Stupid. Bring a travel iron.

For $119 a night, the hotel was bordering on average. The location is a very short walk to the shopping area, train station and CAT buses. This is its best drawcard.

There are a number of similarly priced hotels in Perth which do not include the breakfast, but offer an enhanced level of quality (and automatic lifts too). I will be considering these next time I am in Perth.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with friends
11  Thank pmc160
Reviewed 17 October 2006

Q: What can you tell from all these reviews? A: Miss Maud's has a real personality. Why does that make some people give the hotel such a low rating? Well, because some people think they like hotels with a personality, but what they're really looking for is something cheap. Like people with a real personality, not everyone is going to like Miss Maud's.

The occasionally miserable girl on the front desk wearing comedy Swedish costume, whole wall photographic murals of woodland scenes in some rooms (not all - don't know how you request a mural room), buffet dinner with hundreds of package trip oldies... surely you can see the appeal...? No?

Oh well, there's the obvious comfort of the place, a truly excellent pie-shop, and breakfast buffet that they tend to hype a bit, but is pretty decent.

Want something that conforms to normal hotel standards in every way? You know where to go - you just have to admit it to yourself. Genuinely like something with a bit of personality? Go for Miss Maud's but don't whine if you find the personality isn't one you like!

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with family
10  Thank mikeeeee
Reviewed 13 October 2006

we have just returned from a 4 night stay at miss mauds and we must say how impressed we were. it suprises me the amount of stick this hotel received. the room was spotlessly clean, and the bathroom lovely. admittadly no balcony just 1 small window, but the fact you are in the heart of the city far outweighs that. we had a great widescreen flatscreen tv with satelite fox sports.
the breakfast and dinner were incredable. the mini bar was refreshing in two senses as we were provided with water ice beer and soft drinks all at very sensible prices. i have never used a mini bar before due to the huge price hike but this was good. the freshly baked biscuits at same price as the shop were great. 10 out of 10 marks from us. we will stay again only cosst 110 dollars a night too. what a bargain.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
8  Thank loobylouuk
Reviewed 14 April 2006

Stayed at Miss Mauds for 2 nights between Feb 18 and Feb 20.

Paid $120 PER ROOM per night (incl taxes) for a Scandinavian Room, which is the more spacious room type.

PROS:
- Central location. 2 minute walk to the day tour pick up point and 5 minute walk to the main city mall.
- Clean rooms (bathroom especially)
- Friendly (not fussy) service
- Included buffet breakfast was nice.

CONS:
None, considering this is a 3 star hotel and made no pretences to be otherwise.

My thoughts:
Unbeatable value for what it offers. Given Miss Maud's (former) high rating on this site I can understand why some reviewers may be disappointed, but one need to realise that the key here is value for money, not luxury for free. Fellow trip advisor readers used to high end 4-5 star hotels should really steer clear of Miss Mauds, no matter what the price.

• Stayed: February 2006
10  Thank tsangers
Reviewed 23 February 2006

I agree with the other reviewers that have recommended that you do not stay here. Having used TA in the past this is the first time that I have been disappointed. The room had no windows, only frosted glass bricks on to a service shaft, from which there was a noise from the generator and a radio all night. The buffet is nothing special.This is probably the worst hotel I have stayed in. Not value for money

• Stayed: February 2006
9  Thank Jakilea
Reviewed 15 February 2006

Booked our stay based on Trip Advisor reviews. Very disappointed. From the moment we arrived up until the time we checked out, we were underwhelmed to say the least. Upon check-in, the tiny lobby was being painted, complete with fumes and dropcloths/ladders everywhere. We tried to step around everything with our luggage but no one offered to help. After checking in, we had the choice to drag our luggage up a short flight of stairs to the elevator or a longer set up to the second floor--again, no help was offered. The room itself was old and shabby with stained wallpaper and furniture. The breakfast buffet was ok, but not outstanding. There are plenty of other places to stay in Perth--skip this one, stay elsewhere and maybe try the breakfast buffet or bakery.

• Stayed: November 2005