“Location , location, location” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The New Esplanade Hotel

The New Esplanade Hotel
Ranked #75 of 81 Hotels in Perth
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Location , location, location”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

The water is hot, the linen clean and the staff are friendly. As already stated the location cannot be faulted. However the construction starts at 6.30am as they are building Elizabeth quay outside the front door, car parking 30 per day and internet very expensive. They were not interested in extending a late checkout even until 12.00 without further charges..needs to be totally revamped as it has potentially the best aspect in Perth.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank wajela

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Indonesian first
Collie, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

I found the hotel room very basic compared with other hotels in the area at cheaper or similar prices, we actually had to boil the kettle on the floor because there was no other option, the shower curtain was old stained and grotty, the river view was obscured by the filthy windows. We also had to pay $30.00 for parking which also is expensive compared with the Ambassador down the road cost for parking was $15.00. the TV hardly worked and the staff were unhelpful!
Ps the rooms are very stuffy.

Room Tip: don't stay there!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank reliable2013

Travellers are raving about these Perth hotels

Culburra Beach, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2013

This is certainly not a great hotel! The air conditioner in our room did not work; the shower leaked; the TV could not get channels 7, 10 or SBS and their associated channels; the paint was peeling in places. However, at $139 a night in such a BRILLIANT location, I would actually stay here again.....maybe not in Summer as I would want air conditioning then. We had room 208 that actually had two bedrooms - one with a double bed and the other with two singles. (We used the second bedroom as our dressing room which was very nice.) The shower pressure was great, the hot water was hot, the fridge was cold and the bed was comfortable. The view over the "oh my God it's so close I can almost touch it" carpark was not beautiful but what do you expect for such a cheap central-city price? The room did not have a new feel but it was clean. The view was not awe-inspiring (to say the least) but who cares? At $139 a night in such a perfect, brilliant, central location, I feel this tired, dated hotel was good value for money.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank grammark
Wagga Wagga, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

The only thing new about the New Esplanade Hotel is the word in its name. Watch out for the photocopy of your licence when you check in, I asked to see the hotel policy and it did not state a copy was required, just sighting it was enough. Very dodgy practice! I asked for the copy to be returned to me when I left, however if you are unfortunate enough to have to stay at this place I recommend you refuse letting them make a copy of your licence. The room was dirty as was the foyer and the lifts. I had to go away for work and staying in a place like this it made me feel quite sad; a bit like the carpet and sheets! On the plus side it is relatively quiet and close to the city.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the river.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Aaron S
Mandurah, Western Australia, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

Booked a River View room on level 7 the view was great but the actual room smelt musky, the carpet was filthy...we checked the beds to make sure they were alright..my Elderly Mother who has a sore back was in a lot of pain following morning..beds way too soft..and in need of upgrading..Only positive was the aircond worked and it was Not noisy.... and anything else not enought towels I rang housekeeping for extra towels Nobody came...So ..we grab extra towels from a trolly just outside the room...to use inside the shower/bath to prevent slipping....Not worth what I paid for this room , was handy to THe Bell Tower for Sons Wedding & Reception...is the only reason we booked this room...

Room Tip: If its Quality you seek look eslewhere pay a bit more for your Dollar...you can do better than th...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Claire568
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

Ok... Im writing this from inside the hotel. take my advice, if you want to be comfortable, this is not the place. We Walked into the foyer and travel back to the 70's- paint worn off the handles on the front doors that dont close was my first ' oh no this place is a dump' moment. The 'check in clerk' was not busy, but very unfocused, making us wait whilst he processed our ever important credit card incase we eat from the refreshment bar ( which is a wicker basket with three packets of chips, nuts and a couple of unknown dodgy bars) whilst telling others he would arrange wake up calls.... So after four people he gives us a funny look like ' why are you still standing there. Remember we per-booked and paid for this stat on line.
Our Room is on the fourth floor... Air conditioning set on cool.... Pumps out nothing but heat - it's so uncomfortable we are in shorts and very little else.. And it's cold outside. My wife asks if the window opens .. Oh yes... It opens wide with absolutely no safety you could jump out or fall to your death. Might be a better option than staying here.
Fridge is in a rickety closet, but that's a trap. It's got cold water in it.
Toilet basin is cracked and the seat is old black and eww.
Combined shower / bath.. Two rooms one with the smallest double bed I've slept on.
Now the noises from outside with the window ( now a necessity ) opened are quite... LOUD.
Tv works though.
I think the finest way of finishing my review is this: we opened the 'welcome book' and crisp crumbs fell out on the bed.
Is there a cleaner? The chocolate sauce on the table, crumbs and utterly unkempt look of the place makes me wonder.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Mickss
Bunbury, Western Australia, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

Had reservation for a river view room paid $139.for it added an extra family member over the phone and was told they would put me in a family room at no extra cost, Hay I thought awesome only to arrive and be charged an extra $49.Went up to our room only to find we were down graded to the slum side of the building were you had car park noise, lift doors going all hours of the night and below average rooms, very faulty towers style. Sad excuse for a hotel in this area better off staying at a back packers. Only plus was the water pressure. would never recommend this to anyone.

Room Tip: Don't !!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family