“Good Hotel”

Ranked #25 of 64 Hotels in Perth
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Good Hotel”
Reviewed 12 June 2014

This is an older hotel. The rooms are quite small and could do with a bit of updating. Having said that they are immaculate. The rooms are cleaned every day to a very high standard. There is a lovely outdoor pool, but it even defeated me as the water was so cold I could only manage a couple of lengths . There are also washing and drying facilities at a very reasonable cost. We had breakfast on one day and could not fault the selection for the continental option bar the fact that there were no croissants. The staff are first class and nothing is too much trouble. Reception is staffed 24/7 which was helpful when we had to check out in the early hours. The free Cat Buses that run throughout Perth can be caught from practically outside the hotel so all in all it's a good location and worth staying at if you are visiting Perth

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the hotel have a balcony but it is on a main road but these would have the bes...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christine M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
glasgow
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed here for four nights when we first arrived in Australia.
Great central location and reasonably priced for where it is
Staff were really nice and helpful, We had a million newbie questions and they seemed more than happy to help us
The rooms were clean and spacious
Overall a great hotel

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
albany, WA
Reviewed 2 June 2014

An older hotel with small rooms and ensuite bathrooms. Spotlessly clean and all staff were very friendly and helpful. I stayed here for a conference trip for five nights and with the bus just across the road it was perfect for me. Close enough to the city for a good 20-30min walk to blow the cobwebs after a day of sitting in lectures. If walking is not your thing, the bus will take you in and out of the city for free. Breakfast was pricey for the variety on offer, but fresh and tasty. Dinner was good, but lacked the wow factor. Veges or salad with every meal would have been better, rather than needing to order it extra with some dishes. Overall, a good hotel at a good price considering its location and convenience.

Room Tip: there was a musty smell outside the rooms on the third floor which was quite unpleasant. The managem...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank mumofsix
Quairading, Australia
Reviewed 20 May 2014

This hotel is one of the best ones I have been to since being back in wa and I mean it is fantastic and the staff members are fantastic especially the manager and the beautiful young lady who helped with checking me in. The room was so freaking spacious and clean.
When I go back to Perth for the wwe wrestling event later this year I am definitely going to stay at the sullivans hotel again...
Plus the breakfast was fantastic as well.

Room Tip: You want a great price and room jump onto the sullivans website to book.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank TrevorSampson
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

After a quick check in, I found the room to be adequate but not exceptional however for the price I couldn't complain. The linen was clean and the rooms warm. The toilet seat was flimsy and squeaked every time you sat on it with toilet roll that could cause a serious skin abrasion.
I was slightly disappointed with the location. Not knowing Perth I was lead to believe it was closer to the city Centre than it actually was. I advise taking sensible shoes ! As a female though, I didn't want to be walking the streets at night in a strange place and I couldn't find any restaurants close by so ended up eating in the hotel.
The restaurant was by far the biggest disappointment. I ordered the vegetarian pasta dish (not particularly cheap). When the food arrived, the pasta was swimming in oil. I recognize pesto is made with olive oil however Im not exaggerating when I say the pasta looked as if it was in an oil soup. I couldnt eat the meal and when I mentioned it to a passing waiter I was told that the meal was exactly how it should be. I am no chef but surely the words are 'drizzle of oil' rather than 'pouring of oil'! I even took a photo and sent it out to friends in the catering business who all replied stating it looked gross and the worst dish they had ever seen. I can relate to this as it was honestly the worst dish I have ever tasted! As I was still hungry (after leaving the pasta to swim the Swan River) I decided to try dessert and ordered the homemade crumble. The dish came and appeared to be steaming hot only to find it was stone cold in the middle. The dish was taken away, reheated and returned.
Unfortunately this experience prevented me eating there again. The next evening I paid for a taxi to take me into the city to eat. A far more pleasurable experience.
On check out, I mentioned the pasta dish to the reception desk and let them see the photo. The response I received was 'Oh, I love the pasta. Sorry you didn't enjoy it'. I was left feeling like a grumpy old mare complaining for the sake of complaining. In all fairness, I was given a reduction in the cost of the meal on check out though it would have been nice to have had the offer of an alternative meal on the night.

I am sure other people have had wonderful dining experiences in the hotel. I also appreciate it was probably a 'one off' but I for one will not be returning.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Deb O
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 16 May 2014

There were many things that we enjoyed about the Sullivans Hotel. The location next to Kings Park and close to the city was most convenient. The hotel is close to several bike paths and the hotel supplies good quality bikes, helmets and locks which makes a really convenient way to see the city without the hassle of driving and parking. Bring a backpack to carry a water bottle etc because the bikes don't have luggage racks. The food in the restaurant was very good and the staff were all very friendly and helpful. Free parking is provided at the hotel which is much better than paying for parking in some downtown hotels. Overall we had an enjoyable stay and would stay at the Sullivans again.

Room Tip: The best views are from the front rooms, however Mount Bay Road is busy so if you're a light sle...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 12 May 2014

As far as 'budget' hotels in Perth are concerned, Sullivans is lovely. I travel to Perth at least once a month for business, at least 4-5 days at a time, and after a couple of bad experiences at my 'regular hotel', I decided to give Sullivans a try.

I had booked a standard room but was pleasantly surprised when the clerk at reception informed me that I had been upgraded to a 'Deluxe' room. The check in process was simple and fast and I was in my room within 5 mins of arriving.

The foyer of the hotel is small, but cosy, and the little bar and restaurant is adjoining so everything is in one spot.

The room I was given was facing the front of the hotel. I had no issues with noise from the road at all, despite reading some reviews from people saying they had issues. I had a little balcony which was a nice addition to what I had been used to (hotel rooms with no balcony or opening windows at all!).
This room had a homely feel to it and it was very spacious. I had a massive king bed and it was extremely comfortable. The linen was clean, the room itself - flat screen TV and desk/chair - bathroom was tidy.

Everything was perfect. It even had a full length mirror which I didn't have in my previous hotel LOL! - I was set!

The only thing that the hotel didn't do before I checked in was put towels in the bathroom. I called reception and the clerk brought the towels up for me within 5 minutes.

The following day, house cleaning had missed my room so I called reception and informed them that no one had cleaned it. House cleaning had finished for the day so I was left with a bed that I had to make myself (Not a massive drama as I was staying alone), although the clerk apologised and offered me free breakfast in the restaurant for the following morning.

I didn't take the breakfast as I was rushing out the door early the next day but I respected the gesture. I grabbed a couple of coffees instead, which I was charged for at $4 a pop when I checked out. I didn't make an issue of it but they probably should have let the coffees go considering I didn't eat the complimentary breakfast.

The free wifi is very good. I had 4 devices running from it and I was able to work with no issues at all.

The walk into the CBD is approx. 10mins. Take an umbrella just incase it rains! But it's a nice walk. It's not far at all and I believe there is a free shuttle bus that takes you to the CBD if you don't feel like walking.

I would definitely stay at Sullivans again for business or pleasure. It's lovely!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business