“Great Location”
Review of Sullivans Hotel

Sullivans Hotel
Ranked #32 of 66 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed 13 January 2010

We stayed at Sullivans from Christmas Eve to 27th December. We felt that we couldn't have picked a better place to stay. The hotel is just out of the city, located at the foot of Kings Park. There is a free Blue Cat bus service that takes you in the city for free and runs regularly. However, it is really only a 10-15 minute walk to the city and about 30 minutes in to Northbridge. To walk to Barrack Street Jetty will take you about 20 minutes. The hotel staff were brilliant. They were really helpful in recommending restaurants, places to see and just generally in taking a general interest in their guests and their requirements. There were guest bikes to be used free of charge and free internet access in the reception (although it was on the blink a bit). We had a deluxe room which faced on to the main road but gave you a view of the city and the Sawn River. The room was huge, with a large bed, sofa and loads of floor space and a big TV. There was room service and a restaurant (that we didn't try but the food smelt good). There is a decent little outdoor pool and guest laundry which was really handy. The decor is a tad dated but the hotel is so friendly and comfortable that it doesn't matter. I would whole heartedly recommend this hotel to anybody staying in Perth.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MooeyWirral

Reviewed 28 December 2009

We stayed twice in October firstly for 3 nights whilst looking around Perth and then came back, so we obviously found it to be OK, for a single night whilst waiting to fly onwards.
The rooms are small but adequate, althought the first one was a little cold as we couldn't shut the window fully resulting in a draft. All the facilities worked well and the staff where helpful and very friendly. If you are travelling a lot they have a most useful guest laundry. The food was good basic fare and they did their best for my wife who needs a gluten free diet. There is a free PC/Internet use although as there is only 1 you usually have to wait. As a tip go down after 11.00 at night as most Australians are long since in bed and it only other brits that are around. Parking is fine and the location easy to find and access, It has a bus stop on the free bus system right outside the hotel so you can get around without having to use the car.
I mentioned quirky in the summary and that refers to the management. I am not sure if he was the manager or owner but there was a guy who was rushing around shouting at the staff (but very gracious to the guests) who's actions reminded me strongly of Basil Fawlty from the Fawlty Towers series. The staff had been absolutely fine with us and we could not have asked for better service but they were obviously not doing it right in his eyes. Perhaps one of the disadvantages of having the guests using the PC near reception and the manager communicating by shouting from his office in the rear of reception? This was just fun to my ears and just added to experience of staying!
If you want a reasonably priced small hotel give it a go and see which Fawlty Towers characters you can spot!!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JSuv
Reviewed 24 December 2009

Made to feel extremely welcome on arrival from long journey from UK. Our standard room was clean and comfortable and the hotel is ideally placed to explore the nearby Botanical Gardens and catch free Blue Cat into Perth CBD.
You can also catch the bus to Cottesloe across the road.
Loved our time in Perth, lovely relaxed compact city, and for the money would certainly recommend Sullivans. One of the few places on our travels that offer free broadband internet access and the reception staff are always polite, courteous and helpful.

Pool area is also nice touch with a few sunbeds for gust use.

Never tried the restaurant as so much food choice in City Centre. 20 minute walk back from town but straightforward, is very safe and you can't get lost.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mickrory1
Reviewed 21 November 2009

I made 2 separate stays at Sullivan's in October 2009, for 3 and 2 nights respectively.
My overall impression now is that it is nice and friendly with nice, adequate rooms.
It is a very friendly place, where the staff are friendly, helpful and caring, and take time
for the few extra words showing an interest. The staff seem to have fun working together.
My initial reaction to the hotel was not so positive though, because the attitude of the person checking me in seemed rather short and abrupt and not so friendly so that I felt she thought I was just wasting her time.
A mixture of guests of different ages. Mostly europeans, over middle age, but there were also younger people and families.
This is the kind of hotel where you leave the key in the reception when you go out.
The hotel is located just outside the CBD area, below a steep hill, on top of which is Kings park. In front of the hotel is a main traffic artery, but also some green areas, and the Swan river. It is 15 mnutes walk to the center, or a couple of minutes, with the free CAT, that stops right outside. It is a 10 minutes steep climb to Kings park.
The rooms are reasonably nice, with nice beds. A fridge in the room. I have seen better showers.My first stay at the hotel, I got one of their family rooms. Which was inconvenient because all the beds take up so much space it is hard to move. The regular double room was rather nice and comfortable though.
The continental breakfast is excellent, with different kind of cereal, bread, chease and meats, and even scones, and fruit. The restaurant has rather nice food, not the cheapest but a comfortable enough option to avoid having to get yourself into town to find a place to eat.
They have a free internet terminal in the lobby. This is extremely popular, so that one would need to wait a while for the previous person to finish using it. Guests were very cooperative sharing this terminal.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank FiftyNiner
Reviewed 14 November 2009

We were on vacation in Perth and we needed a hotel for one night before heading out to the Margaret River area. Picked Sullivans and we were happy that we did. The location is excellent. The hotel is situated right at the base of Kings Park so it's great for an early morning or late afternoon walk. The hotel has free bike and is located right next to an excellent network of bike trails. The rooms are clean. Not spacious but adequate. And the staff is very friendly. And there is City sponsored free bus service that stops right in front of the hotel. And free parking. Didn't try the breakfast but it looked good.

We like Sullivans so much that we stayed two additional nights on our return from the southern part of the state.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank marvistatraveler
Reviewed 29 June 2009

Reception and restaurant staff are very friendly. The entire hotel, and especially the lobby/restaurant area, have a nice and warm atmosphere: The lighting, the furnishing, there's always something going on (although not in a frantic or noisy way), etc. This is in contrast to other hotels that feel cold and bleak, or cold and business-like. This seems to be a minor thing, but I'd like to point this out as it made me feel good and welcome every time I came back from some foray to the city.

The hotel is a 15 minute walk away from the CBD or the Barrack street jetty, or you have one of the Blue CAT bus stops right in front of the entrance door (the CAT is Perth's free bus service). Beautiful Kings Park is situated right above the hotel: Just walk a couple of minutes to get to the Jacob's Ladder stairway and then tackle the steep climb.

My twin room was clean and spacious, although it was somewhat hard to get at the air condition unit. As other reviewers have pointed out, the AC unit is really awkwardly placed: Right next and slightly above one of the beds (the one close to the window), so when you need to leave the AC running while you are sleeping, the air will blow right over or at your head and body. You might get away with it if you sleep on the bed farther away from the window (if you have a twin room). The machine is also quite loud, so it might be hard to sleep with it turned on constantly (regardless of which bed you are sleeping in). I am writing about all this in theory, because luckily I was fine without using the AC during the night. I am also unsure whether all rooms are equipped the same, so it might be worth asking when you book. In winter time you will be fine without AC as the bed covers are thick and cosy, and of generous enough proportions to hide a bear underneath :-)

One of the key features why I chose Sullivans Hotel is its free Internet access, either in the lobby on one of the hotel's machines, or wireless on your own laptop (it works both in the lobby and in your room). The connection is rather slow during the day and in the evening, but may become faster during the night (one download I kept going suddenly finished blazingly fast). Even during the day, though, there is enough bandwidth to make Skype phone calls, but websites usually respond sluggishly and Google Maps just didn't work for me.

Other notes:
- Free movies (I didn't try this)
- Restaurant food is good but not excellent, and probably slightly overpriced; brekkie buffet is excellent value, though
- There's a phone in the lobby for making free phone calls to order a taxi; the phone has a fixed wire to one of the taxi services so you just have to pick up the receiver
- The hotel does not support the "leave towels on the floor and we will exchange them" scheme
- There was no toilet brush in my room

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
4  Thank herzbube102
Reviewed 1 June 2009

After a superb 3 days in a hidden gem (Eleebana Guest House) in Armadale, our last stop at Perth was at Sullivans. Location wise, it is the best spot, with the blue CAT bus stop No. 20 is practically at the door step. The property has a cafe, and the reception was rather good looking. Sullivans is at the foot of Kings Park Hill, which is a great spot view the serene Swan River and the city. Walk up to the hill via the Jacob's Stairs / Steps after Mount Bay Hospital. Room was clean and they have a pool ad the back. When you put up a DND sign on the door, they leave fresh towels and other stuff in a bag outside your door.That's the good stuff. The carpets were very old, dull and dirty. They definately need to do some reno work soon.

The only thing which made me tick, was the attitude of the frontdesk staff. Being an Asian I don't like being discriminated or looked down upon. But the Asian (lady) staff, who was manning the reception on my arrival was rather not professional. I booked a standard room with 1 double bed request via wotif.com. When I reached, there was no indication they changed my room. Upon entering my room, I saw 2 single beds in addition to 1 double bed. When I enquired about the bedding in the room, that lady crudely said "We have upgraded your room!". I'd expect upgrade for standard room should be a deluxe room or something that makes sense for the word upgrade, but not a Dorm / Hostel setting with 3 beds! And when I requested for a change of room, she brushed me off by saying no more standard rooms available with double bed. Fine, I checked in. When using the computer near the reception later that night, a walk-in guest was able to get a standard room with double bed in front of me. I wonder if I was discriminated by a fellow Asian? Maybe? Or, if its just her attitude is such, they have train her better.

Other than that, it was a good stay, with excellent connectivity.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple