“Friendly and Welcoming”

Planet Inn Backpackers
Ranked #38 of 49 Speciality Lodging in Perth
“Friendly and Welcoming”
Reviewed 18 March 2013

I stayed in planet inn for 2 months while working in Perth. The location is just inside the free zone for the bus to the city (handy for work), and within a 10 minute walking distance from Leederville and Northbridge. In addition to this I felt very welcome with both guests and staff alike.

The hostel can come across as appearing a bit shabby upon first glance, but i found it was cleaned regularly and never had a problem with cleanliness. In addition to this I felt safe in the environment, and found the social life one that I will remember. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Reviewed 12 March 2013

I stayed in Planet inn for 3 days and it was the most terrible hostel I've been in australia after travelling around for 5 months. First when I arrived in my room there was no bed free, after I went back to the reception the girl throwed all the stuff what was on a bed on the ground so it was free, the room was disgusting and I couldn't walk because there was stuff everywhere. Especially the staff is really rude, there was an english girl working and she talks against me like I was nothing after I asked her for clean linen at 11 pm. When I arrived I had no clean linen, because they where washing, fair enough I thought. But at 9, 10 there was still nog clean linen. When I asked her again because I really wanted to go to sleep after my flight from Sydney. She said that 'she didn't know why I was so unpatient. If I would go to bed at 2pm I would still have 7 hours of sleep if I would wake up at 9'. At the end she was gone and a girl who did the cleaning there found some linen for me. The next day I had to move to an other room and when they 'cleaned' they threw my stuff out of my room, my bag was open so my stuff was all spread around, the reason why I lost some stuff. They didn't care and would not give me anything back for that. Was defenitely value 100 dollar and all gone for me. The english girl again said: 'those kind of things happends in hostels.' Besides that everything was really unorganised, people where sleeping on the cough. This is my first comment I ever made about a hostel, but I really feel like I had to because I've never been to place like this. There was also no airconditioning and it's really unsafe because nothing is locked in the hostel.

Room Tip: Just don't go there
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Inge91

Travellers are raving about these Perth hotels

Reviewed 28 February 2013

Upon arrival we learned they had either over-booked or just simply looked over our reservation. Luckily the young lady from Germany, very nice, moved some things around and fit us into the "nook" room (a small room located next to about 10 trash cans with cockroaches alive and dead everywhere. One small window no circulation, no fan , no AC). I actaully was ok with the situation because we managed to get our own room but from there things worsened. The kitchen seemed moderatly clean until opening the fridges and freezers which seemed to have not been cleaned out in at least weeks if not longer. My girlfriend woke up the next morning from several bed bug bugs and the same with me the following day. On our last day EVERYONE was asked to take everything out of there room so the hostel could "spray" for bugs. We had to leave all of our stuff outside piled up from 10 am until 8pm and could not go in our room!!! No compensation was given! In addition there was no spraying or changing of mattresses, we heard it was a monthly routine and the same bed bug ridden beds were put back in our room just to bite us for our last night stay. SPEND THE EXTRA DOLLAR or 2 and stay at a different hostel. The few good things about the place was that the staff were all very nice and helpful as much as they could be.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Planet_Inn, Manager at Planet Inn Backpackers, responded to this review, 3 March 2013
Hello,

I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay at Planet Inn Backpackers.

On the 28th of February we did undergo a fumigation due to reports of bed bugs. The situation was quickly dealt with by our staff. All rooms were cleaned from head to toe and the rooms were all adequately sprayed including the bed frames.

As the poison we use is harmful, it is not advised to spray this on the mattresses as they would absorb the liquid which is very potent and may cause side affects including headaches and nausea during the night. As this is something we obviously do not want for our guests, we store the mattresses in direct sunlight as this kills anything that lives on them. Since the fumigation, no reports have arisen which tells us the situation has been dealt with.

I apologise that you feel that you felt that we weren't taking enough action but I can assure you that all necessary steps were taken.

I am glad that you found our staff to be helpful during your stay.

Thankyou for your time,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2013

We booked online, arrived at the hostel around 5pm to a building site! (Apparently they were having an upcoming inspection!) Builders/painters everywhere therefore meant we couldn't check into our room. We went out and came back around 10pm and still couldn't check in!! We ended up in the 'staff' room which was unlocked, no lockers, the smallest room and the messiet i've EVER stayed in! Had a very disrupted night with ppl in and out all night. The next morning there was no water so showers, sinks out of order! Next couple days we were still climbing over builders! about 1 pot in the kitchen, and 2 forks and units falling apart! We moved into another room (we dint pre-booked this much) the manager told us to "get our own sheets from around the corner" as apparently we are "old enough to look after ourselves" WHAT?! Pure laziness! NOTE: The rates go up at weekends INCLU Fridays and also there is NO breakfast on these days - not stated anywhere I might add! THE WORST PART OF OUT STAY is the receptionist told us she'd save a room for us and to pay later. We went out for the day and when we arrived at 9pm to move, she announced she was looking at the wrong month and they were fully booked! She tried to offer us a van in the garden - yes a van, we couldn't believe our ears, but turns out that was full too. So at 9pm we were searching for a place to stay! Not acceptable in my opinion amoungst all the other annoyances! I accept human error, but really that was the last straw! The only positive is the use of free wifi if needed!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank V_2the_P
Planet_Inn, Manager at Planet Inn Backpackers, responded to this review, 27 February 2013
Hello,

Sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay at Planet Inn Backpackers.

There are a few points that I'd like to address in your review.

All of our rooms are fitted with lockers as to how many beds there are in the dormitory. This way everyones belongings can remain safe and it gives guests a peace of mind. As you are aware, the whole hostel has undertook a major renovation where all rooms have been fully restored for a cleaner look and given a unified theme. To avoid closing the hostel to complete the renovations, we worked during the day when most of the guests are enjoying themselves in the city.

With regards to the comment made by the manager on duty I can only apologise. We pride ourselves with our easy to approach staff who are ready to help you in whatever you may require which saddens me that customer service was comprimised.
Our weekend rates are applied to only Friday and Saturday of the week. Sunday is not included in the weekend rate.

In response to the incident at reception, all beds must be paid for by 10am of the due date or you risk the chance of losing the bed. This is clearly signposted at reception.

Thankyou for the time taken to submit your review.

Regards,
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
Reviewed 21 February 2013

I have seen a lot of different backpackers from good to bad. But honestly I think this is one of the worse backpackers. First I will name the good points. There is free wifi, a free bus going in to the city but you can also walk there in 20 minutes. There is a garden and sometimes there is a free BBQ. When I checked in the hostel there were no sheets on the bed, after asking a few times the receptionist put it on the bed at 9:30 PM! After a few nights I discovered that you are lucky if you are able to get sheets on your bed. The rooms are a dirty and the toilets and showers are not much better. The management needs to improve themselves. People moving from one, to another room and by lack of attention people are checked in the same bed twice.

If you have a choice, spend a bit more money at a hostel that is better.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Planet_Inn, Manager at Planet Inn Backpackers, responded to this review, 25 February 2013
Hello Sjoerd,

I am sorry ot hear that you did not enjoy your stay at Planet Inn Backpackers.

With regards to your review, we have a BBQ every saturday where it costs $5 per person. During the week if guests are being caused inconvenience through work being carried out by our staff, we host a free BBQ. The free BBQ is not a permanent event.

I apologise for you not recieving your linen until that time but I can assure you that all guests do recieve linen.

In response to people being moved rooms, we are in our busiest season and its up to the guests to rebook their beds in advance if they would like to remain in the same room. Beds are not secure until full payment has been recieved and there are notices explaining this around the hostel. If beds are not rebooked in advance or payment has not been recieved, they run the risk of either moving rooms (due to somebody else booking before) or losing their beds altogether if the hostel is full.

Regards

Upper Hutt, Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 8 January 2013

At $16 a night, it's probably one of the cheapest places to stay in Perth City. There is also free 24hr street parking (rare in any big city). The place is essentially a converted sharehouse, rooms weren't the cleanest. We got bitten by mosquitoes and other bugs... however the staff were very friendly and most helpful. It's also a great place to meet foreign travellers, with a great relaxed social atmosphere.

Room Tip: Service was excellent, as was value. Where else can you stay in Perth for close to $16?
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Planet_Inn, Manager at Planet Inn Backpackers, responded to this review, 9 January 2013
Hello Jason,

Thankyou for the time taken to write your review.

I am glad to see that you found 'Planet Inn' to be an enjoyable experience and that you found the staff to be helpful.

In regards to the cleanliness of the rooms, several protocols are now being put in place and there shall be a significant improvement that will be seen immediately. Fly screens are being repaired/installed as we speak and as a result, the amount of mosquitos and other bugs that manage to enter the room will be reduced making sure that our guests enjoy a good nights sleep.

Once again thankyou for your feedback and hope to see you again soon!

Planet Inn
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed 1 October 2012

I have never written a hostel review before but felt the need too for this one. The staff here are absolutely ridiculously rude. If you book in you are not actually guaranteed to have a bed upon arrival as they are constantly overbooking. A lot of the time people are either told to sleep on the sofa or if you are lucky they may throw someone who has been staying there for a long time out of their bed and put them on the sofa instead, Infact I saw a man sleeping on pillows in the hallway too. They say there is a "bar" in the hostel so you cannot bring in your own alcohol but infact this is a cupboard with some beer in it. Only the manager who is never ever there is allowed to sell this alcohol so infact you cannot drink at all. They throw people out all the time for no reason at all apart from the fact they have overbooked so much they have to throw out 10 people (and dont even give them a refund.)

This hostel treats backpackers terribly.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank 712Flanger
Planet_Inn, Receptionist at Planet Inn Backpackers, responded to this review, 10 December 2012
Hello,

We are sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us at Planet Inn.

As we are well into our busy season, the beds do fill up quickly. Those who are booked in are guaranteed a bed for the duration of their stay and are encouraged to visit reception ASAP if they wish to extend to prevent losing their bed. Unfortunately, there are instances where beds aren't rebooked in time and there may not be enough space to accomodate them.

The bar in the hostel is a licensed bar which is why no alcohol that has been purchased outside the hostel can be consumed or stored on the property and is open from 6pm daily by our RSA approved staff.

We do have a 'No-refund' policy and this is signposted upon the check-in desk. If a guest does require to leave early, they recieve a credit note for the remaining nights of their stay to use whenever thay wanted.

Hope this addresses the issues raised in your review.

Warm regards,