“Great hostel! ”

Beatty Lodge
Ranked #13 of 59 Speciality Lodging in Perth
“Great hostel! ”
Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

Very nice rooms and great service! Clean bathrooms and toilets! Had a nice stay here! We only stayed for two days, but we would definitely come back!
The staff helped us with directions and where very service-minded. It is about 10min from city center, you can take the bus for 5dollars each. But we took taxi for 14dollars:)

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

A friend of mine stayed here with a large group of people so I thought I'd give it a go. We got a great weekly rate for a very quiet room. The bed again is great. The facilities are good. Big kitchen to cook in. The shared bathroom and separate toilets are ok. People from all different countries of all ages stay here in all different types of rooms but all that I've spoken to are happy. We would stay here again.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 19 June 2013

Best hostel in Perth!! We had room for two and the room was very big and clean. The kitchen was very clean and there was nice to cook because it was so big. Quiet location. You can use free zone buses to get Beatty Lodge. Staff were so friendly, for example the Spanish guy!
WI-Fi was expensive.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Trawellerit
Perth
Reviewed 24 May 2013

This hostel was the best in Perth that we stayed in by far! I would definately recommend staying here. Its a very clean hostel with 2 cleaners working everyday; changing sheets, cleaning toilets and showers and generally keeping the place spotless. The staff are very friendly and tend to your every need. they don't hesitate to go the extra mile. This place has everything you need and more. Don't overlook it!!
hope this helps.
Chris + Em

Room Tip: 10% discount for booking a week
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Great Western, Australia
Reviewed 21 April 2013

The state of my room was absolutely deplorable (private room), I almost cried every time I walked in. I didn't have particularly high expectations only having paid 55 AUD per night, but my room fell way short. (I was in room 41, but the dorm rooms seemed to be in somewhat nicer condition.)
The bathrooms and showers were vile, obviously not cleaned too thoroughly and regularly.
Some nights were particularly noisy due to fellow guests, but I guess there's not much that can be done about that.
Location is OK, not too far from the action, but not too close either.
The only positive was the staff, they were helpful and friendly.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Janos V
Perth
Reviewed 9 February 2013

Beatty Lodge has much to recommend it. It's in a convenient but quiet location, the single, twin and double rooms are much cheaper compared to almost anywhere else in Perth. The laundry is big and there's room to hang your clothes. The pool is small but clean. When I stayed the water was clear, not like some hostels I've been to where they don't know how to maintain the chemicals. The room I got was a twin. It was big and had TV, cupboards, desks, shelves and beds. There were spring mattresses. Sheets were clean. The kitchen was formerly a commercial kitchen. It has fantastic stoves with ovens (most hostels I've been in do not have ovens), and commercial grade saucepans and frying pans. While the saucepans are mostly fine, the frying pans are not. The hostel had not supplied proper scourers and so the frying pans have become very dirty over time. Some of the saucepans appeared to be heading the same way. There were no kitchen knives or graters. This made preparing food challenging. I learned to scrub all surfaces down before preparing any food or eating any food since fellow guests' cleanliness cannot be relied on. The reviews I've read suggested that this would not be a noisy hostel, however I guess that depends on your fellow guests. My fellow guests were of mixed ages and I think probably most of them were quite OK. However, there was a group of 10-20 English yobbos who treated the kitchen/dining area as if it belonged to them. The TV was permanently on MTV or English football and they were often noisy and up late and didn't clean up after themselves in the kitchen or the bathroom. I felt sorry for the cleaners. I got the impression that the other guests went to their rooms and tried to forget about them. Mostly this was possible, sometimes they were loud into the night and into the corridors. Overall, like any place, it really depends on who else is staying there. Depending on availability I'd suggest staying one or two nights before committing to longer periods so you can get a feel for your fellow guests before committing to a longer stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the building. The ones at the back near the carpark get a lot of nois...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Robert201120122013
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 1 February 2013

We spent two nights here, the moment we walked into the room I kicked my flip flops off to stand on a grape stalk with a Rotten grape hanging from it! Immediately after my eyes were drawn to the navy blue sheets which have what looks to be semen stains smeared over them, not to mention the hairs. absolutely vile.
Ok so you also need a deposit for any cutlery or crockery that you need to use should you risk cooking in the disgusting unfriendly kitchen.
The night before we checked out we spoke to reception to ask about an early morning taxi to the bus station- there was no mention to us about the reception not openening until 8am so when we check out we were unable to collect our extortionate 20 dollar key deposit! When we called after 8 to see if we could have the money wired through we were told that nothing could be done and that we should have collected the deposited the night before! To summarise:
Unhelpful staff
Filthy
Rubbish location
Unfriendly vibe
Worst hostel I've stayed in(bare in mind I have traveled through a lot of Asia inc India)

• Stayed February 2013