“I cannot recommend this hostel...”

Ozi Inn Backpackers
Ranked #34 of 57 Speciality Lodging in Perth
Reviewed 21 April 2014

The great thing about this hostel is that they provide free pick ups from the airport. We were greeted by Herman who was very friendly and chatty. It all started so well!

I was disappointed when arriving at the hostel as the exterior is very run down, this continued inside and it appears very grubby. We had to give a $20 deposit which I did not understand as there was no key for the rooms, just locks with a passcode.

The bedroom is incredibly basic. I stayed in a 6 bedroom share room. The room is spacious enough, however dirty and very run down. The floor was covered in dirt, dust and bits. I also noticed that one of the guys who was sleeping did not even have a pillow case, he just had another sheet to wrap around his sheet. The other guy in the room also did not have a sheet on his bed which I found quite gross.

The beds are the most uncomfortable beds I have ever slept in. The mattresses are so thin and you can feel every single slat beneath you digging into your back.

I was thankful when I saw that the rooms had lockers, but then realised that you have to pay $1 each time you use them (ie every time you unlock them and want to lock them again you have to pay $1)

The indoor shower is very dirty and does not look like it has been cleaned in a long time. The showers downstairs are a lot cleaner and nicer, so if you stay here, I recommend that you use them!

The free pancakes in the morning are great, just make sure you use one of the better pans and not one that burns everything! Herman is a nice guy, however I think he is not that interested in providing a nice clean budget place to stay, he is more interested in hanging out with all the backpackers smoking. This is nice that he is sociable, however, I think there needs to be more of a balance.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 14 April 2014

In all honesty this hostel is a bit grubby and could definitely do with a bit of refurb and lick of paint. There are numerous accounts of bed bugs of which I got a few, but thankfully washed everything so I didn't travel with them.
In spite of all this I walked away feeling good about this backpackers, and it solely comes down the the manager Herman. He really makes you feel part of the place when you arrive and is always smiling and having fun. I really hope the owner knows the value of this man and pays him more money, because without him it will be a bit of a dive with only negative reviews.
If you don't believe me then go and stay yourself and you'll see what I mean.
Bless you Herman!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 March 2014

After hostel shopping I chose OZI Inn because of the hospitality and friendly spirit I felt from Herman the manager/ leader! Always encouraging to join the activities around the Ozi space IE: cooking, group discussions, movie night etc. As a yoga teacher I asked Herman if I could conduct a daily yoga class in the backyard. He was very open to have the yoga classes as many people attended, even Herman ;) . I found the travellers from diverse cultures mostly under the age of 25 .Free breakfast: make your own pancakes, coffee, tea. all kitchen utensils provided, big refrigerator storage ...CCTV needs repair and rooms cleaner. Overall a friendly hostel I'd return and recommend it to global travellers.

Room Tip: Friendly hostel in a great location a 10min walk to pub action, Western Australia Library, Museum, a...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 March 2014

This is a friendly hostel in a great location. It's a 10min walk to the city centre or, if you're feeling lazy, walk for 5mins and catch the free bus. In the immediate area there's plenty of restaurants, bars and shops/supermarket. The hostel is basic but it has what you need, including a tv room and a pretty spacious kitchen with a lot of fridge room. If you can pay weekly it's a bargain.
The atmosphere is really laid back and friendly. And the guy who runs it is one of the most helpful people I've came across in a hostel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Marie H
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Do not stay here!!!!!!! Seriously I have scars from the bed bugs! I stayed in room 7 which is a mixed sex room and the air con is broken, soon to be fixed says Herman however there is a resident staying in that room and she said it has been broken for months. There is no electricity in this room, this is the problem that needs fixing but Herman doesn't really like maintenance.
There are a number of people living in this hostel, and they get money knocked off their 'rent' for cleaning. The kitchen is always clean-ish but the rest of the place is not very clean, the upstairs shower always has clumps of hair rolling round and they are mixed sex. There are only 3 toilets, one mixed sex and upstairs there is a male and a female but the males tend to mess the female frequently.
The people are nice and friendly that live in the hostel, and Herman is nice at times. Overall bad hostel! Location is good!! But well thats the only good thing about it.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank amz1988
Reviewed 11 January 2014

I feel lucky that I've picked Ozi Inn as my hostel in Perth. The hostel manager,Herman is a very helpful and friendly person. He will show you the way to the places you want to visit, how you can access to public transport. Thanks to Herman for helping us to book the tour to Swan Valley enable us to get a discount with Ozi Inn, Herman drove us to the Swan Valley van pick up point the next day. When we are going back to airport,he called a taxi for us, yeah, and we arrived airport on time and also meet the boarding time.

You can have free pancake mix for breakfast, free coffee,tea,sugar all day. Free rice too. The Kitchen is well managed with all the kitchen utensils. You can stored your food either the dry or wet near the kitchen. Fridge.bread toaster and microwave are provided. Many people will busy cooking during lunch and dinner.

This place is well located in Northbridge, walking distance to Northbridge Piazza where you can have New Year countdown with live band. Near to CAT, bus station and train station. It's walking distance to Western Australia Library, Museum, and Art Gallery. Liquor store,convenient store and supermarket is nearby.

You don't have to carry key or card for room, what you need to do to access to you room is using a code. There's a code for outside door and inside door as well. Bring a padlock for your locker inside the room.

Eventually, I wanna thanks Herman for organized a New Year BBQ dinner with tasty mashed potatoes,BBQ chicken and bread.The dinner is nice.

Room Tip: Room 4 air condition is not function.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ling Zhi T
Reviewed 8 January 2014

If you are looking for the best backpacker in the world this is not your place
it is a simple place for those who a backpacker for them
is only
a place to eat and sleep and to meet other people
in a nice and friendly atmosphere
it is a small place where everyone knows everyone
if you are the shy kind it is a great place for you as well
the location is great
close to anything a traveler needs
and there is Herman who truly loves people
and doing his best to make theme feel at home

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo