“Vilest place on earth”

Backpack City and Surf
Ranked #38 of 56 Speciality Lodging in Perth
Reviewed 1 April 2013 via mobile

This is like the hell hole of hell holes. Imagine being in a skanky mental hospital, this is it!!
The place is untidy. Not just untidy but dirty. It was advertised as being a quiet family run hostel. There was so much noise I couldn't sleep Til 3am and some psychotic man kept coming in my room to shout obscenities at his girlfriend. Lovely. He also says he will soon be the general manager, so best to leave before that happened in case I end up in a bin liner.
Don't come here. Ever. Even if there is a gun to your head. Let them kill you first.

• Stayed: April 2013

Reviewed 1 November 2012

Do yourself a favor and never book this hostel.
Disorganized and extremely dirty.
We booked the hostel online, and told them that we were supposed to arrive at 1 am. When we arrived there, surprise surprise, the hostel was closed. So we had to drive around with the taxi to find a hotel around for the night. We ended up paying 400 AUD just for the 6 hours sleep.
Since there was no other hostels or hotels available for an affordable price, we had to go back to the City and Surf hostel, and all the manager said was that it wasn´t his fault that we arrived late at night and they were closed.
Anyways, worst experience EVER.
Do not stay at this backpackers

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tha_hammer
Reviewed 4 June 2012

I had a great stay at city and surf. I do not understand why people give it such bad reviews! The hostel is clean and the staff are friendly. There are definitely doors on the shower rooms and the water is always hot!! The hostel offers fast free wifi which great as most hostels do not offer this and is usually expensive. The backyard is nice where you can chill out and the hostel has a nice quirky feel to it! I would definitely recommend people to stay here!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 May 2012

It was dirty all over the place. Kitchen was terrible dirty with unwashed utensil and ect2. It was shocking for me when i first enter to prepare my meal its like animal farm. At the end i change my mind by eating bread and drinks water only. There was few permanent ppl staying quite rude. Noise by these ppl at night time make visitors face sleepless nights. Shower room without door. The standard of cleanliness was worst than 3rd world countries. its totally DISGUSTING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Avoid this place
Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Apart from the dark dingy dirty common areas and rooms, the service was beyond appalling!!
I arrived at 4.55 and even though there was a man at the desk he refused to check us in till 5 on the dot. 20 minutes later when they were finally "ready" to check me in saying they were rude would be putting it politely. When entering the room it was not cleaned with the previous persons rubbish still there. On our way out the manager pulled me up and talked to me like a criminal because his staff did not charge the 2nd person for there bond and get passport details. He needs to learn some manners and learn what Australian customer service is.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank NZalisia
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Its like a concentrationcamp. The reception is only open a few hours a day and they not even call a transfer for you to the airport. I worked in a hostel myself in Australia and is the worst experience i had after a year travelling in Australia. Hot rooms with no windows! No pool nothing

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Ingrid d
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I have nothing good to say.
Please please avoid this place backpackers, just because we are on a budget should not mean we have to live like vermin.
Filthy. Everywhere. I mean really really dirty. The pillow case we were given had what looked like urine stains all over it.
Ridiculously hot rooms.
Small poorly equipped kitchen.
Manager who checked us in presented us with a set of house rules (no alcohol etc, although everyone ignores them) and told us that the hostel isnt clean, and they could do better. The cleaners need firing.
Plus apparently in this hostel, german is the native language. English backpackers prepare to be ignored.

Room Tip: Just go down the street to somewhere else.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple