“If you have the option go for something else” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Exclusive Backpackers

Exclusive Backpackers
Ranked #33 of 61 Speciality Lodging in Perth
Leixlip, Ireland
“If you have the option go for something else”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2012

Me and my travel mate stayed in this hostel for 5 days.

We had booked two beds in a dorm with a fan.
After a long (I repeat: Long!) flight we finally arrived Australia and was REALLY tired.

We took a taxi to this hostel from the airport in the morning and we met the owner in the reception saying that "If we could come back 10 AM and she could see if they had something available."

I was like "You’re kidding right?"

The hostel is located just a short walk from Perth City Center, so Its a great location.

I wouldn’t pay $32 a night for a room in this dorm again.
This is the only hostel I felt had bad atmosphere.

The staff should learn to understand backpackers concept and needs.

Not doing stupid stuff like staff looking over your shoulder and checking rubbish bins for beer cans on the balcony.

If you have the time to look for other options in Perth then go for something else.
If this is your only option, then its OK for a night or two.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Backpacking_Eskimo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2012

Stayed there in 2009 and 2010. Nothing much to shout for a backpacker place. It is quite nice to get option of staying in own room or sharing with other travellers in a dormitory. We are allowed to use the kitchen in the ground level, just make sure you clean everything afterwards. For a first-comer to Perth, that place was quite good as we could just walk around to get food or catch the bus to the shopping mall.

Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank semua_house
Guildford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

We stayed here for a few days in a double room - to be honest I picked what seemed the best out of an interesting bunch of local hostels. The hostels in Perth appeared very hit and miss as far as reviews were concerned and in the end I gave up searching!

The room and main showers were clean - the bathroom was quite bright upon first impressions and traditionally decorated. I am unsure from reading other reviews whether they have since given their bathrooms a makeover, as the pics on the review page are not pics of the main bathroom - ensuite possibly??

I wouldn't say this is the friendly hostel ever as the owners and staff generally seemed quite fed up or as if you were bothering them when you approached them with a query. However, they weren't unpleasant, could just benefit from a few more approachable smiles and look as if they want to be there, even if they don't.

The thing that let this hostel down the most were the loud/drunken and what I would describe as creepy guys around. There seemed to be a few of long stays, up drinking until late and dominating many of the communal areas - hence I never stepped foot in the lounge or kitchen.

I wouldn't consider myself the shy type but when I went to the showers, I felt like I needed to cover up and felt uneasy with the random males just hanging about. They didn't appear to be travellers to us!!

The location was great if you wanted to get to the waterfront and buses are frequent and easy to use. You'd need to get a bus or taxi to Northbridge though...

Room Tip: I'd recommend a private room. Was relieved I wasn't staying in one of the dorms!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Red205
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012

it says in their website airport transfer / pick up provided but actually its not provided. We had to take a taxi from airport.
the place is noisy and we had to wait for 4 hours until our room is ready.
the service was slow and not really helpful plus the kitchen is not clean and neat.
to summarise this, the place does not look as 'nice' as in their website!.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank smz73

Travellers are raving about these Perth hotels

perth
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

Very Dirty! Unfriendly staff! They have no overview over their bookings, so it might be that you have to sleep on the floor, if you are lucky! And they expect you to be thankful! I would never go there again!

Room Tip: Dont go there...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank bubbles234
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2012

I stayed here coupld of nights and I got really nice experience here. Staffs are nice,friendly and helpful. Toilet&bothroom are clean and they always kept them clean for guest. so sometime I couldn't use bothroom because of cleaning. but it wasn't long. I could wait. This backpacker was really lovely,big balcony and close to swan river. This location is 10min walk from CBD but you can catch free bus nearby so it's no problem to go around city:D I like here and recommend this hostel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Zurich
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2011

Perth is a very expensive city in terms of accomodation that is why we booked a Backpackers there. We booked a Doubleroom with private bathroom but what we got there is not what you expect for 95 AUS a night. We arrived late at night very tired, and realized the very dirty bathroom the next day. The shower curtain was BLACK and not usable anymore. We gave notice to the manager about this issues and she told us that they will clean the room again. When we came back we found our bathroom without a shower curtain (and it was never replaced during our stay), and still very dirty.
There is a kitchen and a fridge downstairs, but we were to afraid to cook something there because as well the kitchen had a bad smell and was dirty as well.
When we checked out we asked about our room bill- because the rate confirmed to us was 95 per night and we were charged 98 AUS. The Manager told us that they had change the prices in October, but we had a confirmation before that date- another thing which is not acceptable in our opnion.
Our suggestion is when you are in Perth do not stay in this place- it is much to expensive for what you get, you can not even expect a standard like a clean room.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple