“If I could give a lower rating I would!”

and 1 more site!
Exclusive Backpackers Hostel
Ranked #40 of 56 Speciality Lodging in Perth
Reviewed 21 February 2014

If the definition of 'exclusive' is old, dated, poor quality and badly run then this hostel is most definitely 'exclusive'. A friend and I had a 3 person dorm with air conditioning booked, however when we turned up it turned out that all was available was a 4 person dorm with a ceiling fan. Although we arrived after 9.00pm we still had to wait for the room to be 'cleaned'. It is also worth mentioning that the room did not have a T.V. which it is advertised as having on the website. The room on top of not actually being what we booked was unclean, musty and uncomfortably hot, due to no a/c, which made it very difficult to sleep. On our first morning in the hostel, a Sunday, we were woken by the owner and cleaner berfore 9:00am and told to leave the room so they could clean it. This clean, the second in 24 hours, still made no difference! The kitchen and bathroom facilites in this hostel are inadequate, small and dirty. The only positive is its location, a 15 minute walk from the city. This allowed for us to spend maxmium time in the city and minimal amount of time in the hostel. We departed berfore all our paid days were complete it was that bad. The only thing 'exclusive' with this hostel is the name.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, don't choose a room here!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Geoff302

Reviewed 15 January 2014

I stayed here in December 2013 ... I think I was the only female in the place, every other person seemed to actually live there .. lots of guys from the mines staying over here ... didnt have a backpacker feel to it at all .. not dirty but old, worn and grubby .. not a place I would recommend for a single woman to be staying .. that said very convinient for the city .. but if your single and female avoid it !

Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank ClaireFox16
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Just one word : AWFUL. If you can chose another place I will advice you ! The owners are 3 : mother, father and son ! Every day, the father is grumpy. The prices are not the same as on the website. They add $3. No wifi connection. And to connect you must to pay $3 per hour. It's no safe for the women because there are strange mens and at night there are no night watchman. this place is the nightmare for all backpackers. Sorry for spelling errors.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 September 2013

When you first arrive at the Perth airport, take a shuttle to T3 to take Transperth bus no. 37. After the bus crosses the river, you are almost at this location on Adelaide Terrace. It is easy to locate and is right next to Bayswater Car rental so it was very convenient for us. Room is alright, equipped with a heater but bathroom can be quite cold with the widnows opened. Kitchen is well equipped too. Free coffee and tea. It is about 15 min walk to Murray Street in the centre of CBD. Just opposite there's a 24h minimart.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank seehow
Reviewed 15 December 2012

Me and my travel mate stayed in this hostel for 5 days.

We had booked two beds in a dorm with a fan.
After a long (I repeat: Long!) flight we finally arrived Australia and was REALLY tired.

We took a taxi to this hostel from the airport in the morning and we met the owner in the reception saying that "If we could come back 10 AM and she could see if they had something available."

I was like "You’re kidding right?"

The hostel is located just a short walk from Perth City Center, so Its a great location.

I wouldn’t pay $32 a night for a room in this dorm again.
This is the only hostel I felt had bad atmosphere.

The staff should learn to understand backpackers concept and needs.

Not doing stupid stuff like staff looking over your shoulder and checking rubbish bins for beer cans on the balcony.

If you have the time to look for other options in Perth then go for something else.
If this is your only option, then its OK for a night or two.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Backpacking_Eskimo
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Stayed there in 2009 and 2010. Nothing much to shout for a backpacker place. It is quite nice to get option of staying in own room or sharing with other travellers in a dormitory. We are allowed to use the kitchen in the ground level, just make sure you clean everything afterwards. For a first-comer to Perth, that place was quite good as we could just walk around to get food or catch the bus to the shopping mall.

Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank semua_house
Reviewed 21 May 2012

We stayed here for a few days in a double room - to be honest I picked what seemed the best out of an interesting bunch of local hostels. The hostels in Perth appeared very hit and miss as far as reviews were concerned and in the end I gave up searching!

The room and main showers were clean - the bathroom was quite bright upon first impressions and traditionally decorated. I am unsure from reading other reviews whether they have since given their bathrooms a makeover, as the pics on the review page are not pics of the main bathroom - ensuite possibly??

I wouldn't say this is the friendly hostel ever as the owners and staff generally seemed quite fed up or as if you were bothering them when you approached them with a query. However, they weren't unpleasant, could just benefit from a few more approachable smiles and look as if they want to be there, even if they don't.

The thing that let this hostel down the most were the loud/drunken and what I would describe as creepy guys around. There seemed to be a few of long stays, up drinking until late and dominating many of the communal areas - hence I never stepped foot in the lounge or kitchen.

I wouldn't consider myself the shy type but when I went to the showers, I felt like I needed to cover up and felt uneasy with the random males just hanging about. They didn't appear to be travellers to us!!

The location was great if you wanted to get to the waterfront and buses are frequent and easy to use. You'd need to get a bus or taxi to Northbridge though...

Room Tip: I'd recommend a private room. Was relieved I wasn't staying in one of the dorms!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends