See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 22 July 2018 via mobile

I stayed at Exclusive Backpackers for 4 nights in a private room with a private bath so I cannot comment on the quality of the dorm rooms nor on the kitchen or laundry facilities which I did not use. (I used the new, modern Lava Laundry Lounge a block up Adelaide Terrace towards the CBD.) My room — which looked out on a parking lot — was clean and tidy and was tended to daily (except Saturday) by housekeeping. There is no Wifi in the room, only in the common area. There was a TV which worked ok but not splendidly. The proprietors — particularly Stelios — were exceedingly friendly and keen to help with information and even carrying bags up and down the stairs. As noted, I had a fine stay but it is true — as stated in some other reviews — that EB appears also to be a residence for the down-and-out (possibly through some arrangement with the government). Occasionally, I heard outbursts of yelling or crying during my stay. However, they were brief and not particularly troublesome. Nevertheless, if you are likely to be distressed or frightened by encounters with the less fortunate, you probably should not stay here. Finally, it is an easy walk or quick ride on the free Red Cat bus from Exclusive Backpackers’ East Perth location to the CBD or the fleshpots and bright lights of Northbridge.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 February 2018 via mobile

Stayed for one night due to locality of the car rental and appeared to be okay on first impressions. How wrong we were it turns out this place is a halfway house with residents being the sort of people you don’t want to meet when backpacking. Other residents were children bizarrely...

Avoid if you haven’t been just released from prison or recovering from an addiction.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Oliver S
Reviewed 10 July 2017 via mobile

The staff here were absolutely lovely and made us feel very comfortable at the beginning. Also our room was relatively clean and what you would expect at a hostel. However, the place is full of old and creepy men living there. I felt as though I was staying in a mental asylum. At roughly 9pm we were sitting on the balcony and heard yelling we looked down and one guest was hitting another with a broom very brutally!!
It did not have a backpackers vibe at all! We have stayed in backpackers all around the world and have never felt so unsafe. I would definitely not recommend to stay here especially if you are a young girl.

None of this was the owners fault and if there were not so many old drunk men here it would be a wonderful place to stay.

Stayed: July 2017
Reviewed 2 October 2016

Whilst the woman in charge at the front desk was lovely and very tolerant, and the man helpful with bags, I would not recommend staying here if you are a young woman. There is quite a large number of older, often drunk men who made our group feel incredibly uncomfortable. One even charged at one of the girls as she walked to the bathroom and stared at her, grunting, while she walked around. We found a man staring into our rooms which prompted the lovely owner to suggest we lock our doors. However, the door locks were faulty and attempts were made to open one of the dorms in the middle of the night by someone from the outside. Additionally, the man at the front desk told a middle aged male guest not to worry that he was in an all-male dorm room as there were young girls on either side of him. All of this made us feel incredibly unsafe and whilst the staff appeared to be understanding, this was not at all good enough. For your own safety, do not stay here if you are in a young group of women. Not a single one of us felt safe around the guests.
As for the facilities, the kitchen is reasonably well equipped and there is a great fridge, however it is old, our sheets were stained and smelly, the rooms were freezing and the bathrooms weren't the cleanest. Free WiFi and location are excellent, as was the woman at the front desk who was very patient with us, especially when we were talking loudly-but it just isn't worth the security risk. I understand staff cannot pick and choose patrons, however this appeared to be a halfway house and telling other guests which rooms the young women are staying is completely inappropriate and utterly irresponsible. I have never felt less safe in my life.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank 827frequenttraveller
ExclusiveBackpackers, Manager at Exclusive Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2016

Thank you for taking the time to make your comments and thank you for your positive feedback about the staff.

I was the one who answered the guest's questions when he asked why there were so many university students at our hostel. It was a conversation which may have been taken out of context (I had sternly told him make sure he behaves himself as there were females in the room next to him.) I apologise if you felt that there was any intrusion and, in hindsight, I can understand your concern. However, at no stage was your safety at risk. We have security cameras throughout the hostel and two managers - of which at least one is on site 24-hours.
There's a sign in the common kitchen stating that we aim to make our guests feel safe and comfortable and ask that they immediately notify us if they feel that there's someone who's causing problems. This is what you should have done. Although, one of you mentioned that there was an individual who was making you feel unsafe, when I asked repeatedly who he was so that we could evicted him, your colleague refused to tell me. The next day, we checked our security cameras and found the individual in question and evicted him.

Regarding family safety, we had a Ukranian family stay with us for six nights a few days ago. Another family with two children stayed
10 nights and checked out yesterday. They were very happy with their stay.

Most of the rooms you were in had heaters and we gave you extra blankets when you asked for them.

Now let's turn to your behaviour.

Firstly, you complained that there were some people were drinking. We don't allow any alcohol in the premises (we have posted signs) but we also understand that sometimes people like to have fun, such as yourselves. Recall that on the first day that you checked in, a number of your friends went straight to the bottle shop to buy alcohol. And ehen you checked out, we found many empty bottles of wine and spririts in your rooms.

Secondly, you organised a mascarade party in our car-park. This was done without asking us. However, in the spirit of having fun, we didn't mind. Unfortunately, you'd also invited strangers to the party who shouldn't have been on the premises. You caused quite a racket and we had many complaints from our other guests who were trying to sleep.

After you checked out we found that these strangers didn't restrict themselves to the car-park and that some of your friends brought them to their rooms (we found opened condom packets in one of the rooms). This was in complete breach of our security rules. We've had many student groups stay with us in the past, but none acted in this way.

Regardless, we'd like to thank you for you stay.

Reviewed 10 August 2016 via mobile

Well firstly its dirty the sheets didn't appear to be have changed, Showers not maintained only a cple worked properly,the owner is arrogant, Rude, & analyses residents in the kitchen,Dodgy door latches on bedroom, been broken into in the past,no privacy in bathrooms with no space for clothes in shower cubicle, no heating in Room cold as charity, overpriced dive & owner Should not be dealing with the public!!

Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew R
ExclusiveBackpackers, Manager at Exclusive Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2016

I apologise for the door latch. Unfortunately, the previous guest was using the wrong key on the door and was unsuccessfully trying to use force the open it. However, the comment regarding dirty sheets is completely false - your bed had clean, fresh linen. I don't know why you'd say something so untrue. The bathrooms are cleaned daily and there's a bench in there for guests to place their clothes on when showering. We like to keep the kitchen clean and tidy which is why we ask guests to wash up after themselves. Nearly everyone understands this and does their bit. Unfortunately, a few such as yourselves, believe that their dishes should be washed by hostel staff. Lastly, regarding the price of the room, I'd like to remind you that you paid absolutely nothing - you were homeless and your accommodation was kindly paid for by a charity organisation.