“Staff very helpful”

Ranked #70 of 81 Hotels in Perth
Sydney, Australia
“Staff very helpful”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

We stayed 2 nights at this hotel. The rooms are spacious and the staff couldn't have been more helpful. We had 2 problems whilst there. It was a cold day and night and the heating on the airconditioner was not working, so the staff brought us a radiator and extra blankets. The other problem is the shower was over the bath and as I am of older years I have both back and knee problems and could not get in or out of the bath. We mentioned this to staff and next morning they moved us to another room with a walk in shower. This is an older hotel and is due for a bit of a paint upgrade. It is very convenient & in easy walking distance to city shops and there is a restaurant on site. On checkout the staff rang and arranged a taxi to take us to East Perth Railway Staton. The hotel also does a Senior's Discount on room rates so I advise to book direct with the hotel and not through a booking agency.

Room Tip: If you need a walk in shower ask when booking.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank maryannSydney

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

hotel was good. staff were excellent most obliging and always helpful. position was good if you rely on bus train or taxi. car hire was good but parking was expensive. carpark at hotel not available due to construction work. so car hire stay outside cbd.

Room Tip: book upgrade on arrival and while construction is going on in perth central ask for rear room.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

I honestly don't understand how picky some people may be. I had a wonderful stay at the Criterion. Rooms were much bigger than those in most big cities. The hotel has a vintage feel and pleasant staff that were always willing to help. The location is superb that it only takes a minute to walk into the city mall and there is even a supermarket right next to it! My wife and I had a lovely rest here. Thank you!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank George T
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

When I booked this hotel, I was told there was onsite parking available. But not when I rang to confirmed my booking. Due to road work or building works going on the other side of the street. Coat me $31.00 to park in public car & with no validation of parking. My total cost for one night at this hotel was $256.00. The cost of $125.00, did not include breakfast, that cost another $9.00, for 2 slices of toast, cereal & one cup of coffee.
The hotel is old, but if you are into old world charm, then this is the place to come. As for the room I stayed in,(second floor) it was cold, the air conditioning unit looked like it would fall off the wall, should I turned it on. The noise from the air conditioning unit on the building next was very loud & it was ran all night. The light in the bathroom was not working, a gentleman came up from reception & told me, that it was a loose fitting, but didn't offer to fix it, so bathroom light flick on & off while I was in the bathroom. The walls were dirty, the bed was uncomfortable. My experiences at this hotel will be remembered.

Room Tip: Cold, A/C unit old & falling off the wall.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Joe P

Travellers are raving about these Perth hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

Art Deco Hotel that needs a paint job, new soft furnishings and carpets, that said our room was clean and the beds comfortable (a double each), fluffy towels, free Wifi, complimentary bottle of wine, chilled water and little cartons of real milk in the fridge. We found the staff very pleasant and helpful, especially when it came to printing off our online check-in. An extremely good location for seeing the City of Perth and surrounds.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Elizabeth M
Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

I was expecting a budget hotel but this hotel is lazy, a depressing place to stay and as I said before....is about the standard of a poor-average backpackers. I would recommend paying the extra 60 bucks to staying in a better hotel

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank LmdIreland
cairns
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

I checked in at around 5am after an international flight, and the staff on duty was surly at best, not providing adequate information of how to find the room, and how to get into the room. I was less than impressed. For example: for rooms in the 300 range, you actually need to press floor 2 in the lift - not floor 3, which is sort of standard! also the key cards are not electronic, you need to push the card into the slot, and when there is resistance, push a bit more, wow, the door finally unlocks. Also it is worth noting that the whole building is non-smoking, and only triple rooms have a balcony where you can smoke. Not an issue for many, I am sure, however, very uncomfortable for me, having to stand on the street, in front of the hotel, to have a cigarette, especially as it's winter, and very cold in Perth at the moment. I think all this should be mentioned on the hotel's website, as I would not have booked a room for 4 nights had I been aware of this.
Internet (wifi) access in the room is pretty much pot luck, and sitting in the lobby to do my work was not really part of the plan!

Breakfast costs around $14, which is a little too much for me, so I just buy breakfast "materials" and come back to the room.

TV has free to air chanels only, unfortunately SBS does not work.

The room is incredibly cold (at least for me, as I live in the tropics) and the reverse cycle air con takes for ever to warm the room up.

I guess, going by hotel rates in Perth in general, the hotel offers value for money.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo