“May be noisy, but nice rooms & good location”
Review of Hotel Northbridge

Hotel Northbridge
Ranked #36 of 66 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed 26 May 2009

Friendly, although somewhat indifferent staff - can't say too much here since I didn't need anything. My room (ground floor, 106) was huge with a large spa for two persons (didn't dare to use it except for showering), a comfortable bed and all the usual hotel gear, except a "don't disturb" sign.

On my second night (a Saturday) an extremely noisy party was going on inside the hotel, disco music was playing so loudly that it was hard for me to understand the dialogue of the movie that was shown on TV (even with the volume cranked up to an embarassing level). I was on the verge of going to the reception, but then the noise stopped - at 0:15am!!!

This party thing seems to be exceptional, though, since on my first night (a Friday) everything was quiet. I noticed, though, that it is very easy to hear what is going on outside of the room, so I can easily believe what another reviewer wrote, namely that the reception traffic may be very disturbing (the other reviewer's room 103 *is* close to reception). When booking/checking in, I would recommend asking for a room that is not close to the reception, and inquiring about events that might be going on during your stay (esp. if you are staying over the weekend).

Internet access is by cable only (i.e. no WiFi), but they give you a cable for your laptop at the reception. I found access costs to be a rip-off, though: $10/h!!! Nobody will pay that, so everybody will take the more expensive 1 day (24h) package. This is better priced in terms of value-for-money (something >= $20), but I think it's still expensive - and the cheek is that there is also a volume limit (300 MB for 1 day). Ok, 300 MB is sufficient for most needs, but still...

I wasn't impressed by the hotel restaurant's food, the Vietnamese place next door was better.

One final thing: House cleaning staff will change towels even though you don't throw them on the floor :-(

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo

Reviewed 12 May 2009

Great location in the north of Northbridge - beautiful residential area just minutes on foot to loads of bars and restaurants and the train.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank Ihatecamping
Reviewed 1 October 2008

Wow what a fantastic hotel to stay in. I booked a king luxury spa package directly on hotel website. Very cheap at less then $200 a night with king size bed, twin spa that you can see the LCD tv from, balcony, fully cooked b/fast inc, under ground parking at no cost but limited and the complimentary items were great. We stayed for two nights. Rocked up to reception really nice and said there were a few spaces in car park, thought we might park it down there later. Tried to get in later but full and wouldn't have attempted in our large 4wd anyway a little hair raising. Plenty no cost street parking though. Elevator there is only one of and it is a little slow but that wasn't a issue. Room was great, bed firm but comfy, spa absolutely huge and complimentary items like disposible toothbrushes with tooth paste, sewing kit were a nice touch. Couldn't get onto the little balcony due to safety but it had a screen door to let in fresh air. Really great location as Northbridge is party central in Perth. In room movies expensive if purchasing one but if you purchase two it will only cost you $20 only catch is you have to watch the second one within 12 hours of the first which we thought was excellent. We skipped b/fast the first morning for a sleep in and grabbed a bite at Moon Cafe on main street, the bite ended up being a huge burger that was so so good and the coffee was delectible. We headed to the North Bridge train station, which was a 10 - 15 min walk from hotel and took a train directly to the Showgrounds for the Royal Perth Show. That night we chose to eat in the hotel's restaurant so glad we did. I would describe as semi-fine dining, modern Australian cusine. Service was fantastic, everything definately by the books. Pulling out the chair, placing the napkin on your lap etc. Well priced meals, huge meal serving size it meant no dessert :P enjoyable meal and surroundings. House keeping cleaned room well. We had the complimentary b/fast the next morning but found this nothing to rave about. Partners fried eggs were far from cooked and my poached were too cooked, so we swapped our eggs and I dealt with the uncooked egg white. Check out went smooth and we will definately be returning.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Orange-Daydream
Reviewed 17 July 2008

The location could be better, but the rooms themselves were nice. The restaurant is ok, although the menu was quite small. Good serving sizes though.

Each room as a spa-tub and is quite large for two people.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 March 2008

This place is a little gem!! Perfectly situated for exploring Perth. It is only 5 minutes to the central train and bus station.

The room was basic but very clean and plenty of space. The staff were very helpful and friendly.

Extremely well priced for basically what is a city centre location!!

Highly recommended!!!! ****

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AJSNorthYorkshire
Reviewed 16 February 2008

I dont normally bother writing reviews but it must be told that this place was shocking. The spa had someones hair in it! It was not a pleasant site. Obviously whoever cleaned the room didnt bother cleaning the spa. But that wasnt the only issue we had...Room Service was terrible!!! We called the Room Service number to order lunch and we were told that we had to go down to the Lobby to pick it up ourselves!!!! How is that Room Service?!?! We then ordered dinner at 7.55pm and did not recieve our meal until 9.25pm!!!! This is after they told us to expect 30 mins waiting time. We waited 90 mins!!! All we got was a lousy apology saying that they had been very busy/short staffed. What made things worse is that they got what we ordered wrong. We clearly asked for Fries with BBQ Chicken Wings and instead we got Wedges with Sour Cream and Chilli Chicken Wings. Unbelievable! The docket clearly specified what we had originally ordered. The wedges were drowned in sour cream and had tiny traces of sweet chilli sauce in it. It looked like they had run out of chilli sauce and gave us the scraped remnants from the bottom of the jar. I was not willing to wait longer for them to re-do the order so i ate the crap and budget looking food. At least this time we didnt have to go pick it up ourselves. However the guy delivering the dinner hung around like he was expecting us to tip him. Why on earth would we tip a hotel who delivers food after 90 mins and gets our order wrong!!!! Shocking service! I will not be staying there again!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PerthRowdy
Reviewed 12 November 2007

Found this place after staying at the Shiralee (hostel) for a couple of nights. Wasted our money at the Shiralee as THE OLD PART OF THIS HOTEL IS MUCH BETTER THAN A HOSTEL AT A BUDGET PRICE!

We actually went to have a look at another hostel (my boyfriend heard about it) in the same street (wanted to change from the Shiralee because we couldn't get a double) but it was booked out. They referred us to the Hotel Northbridge and told us about the old part of the hotel (earlier my boyfriend was reluctant to move from the Shiralee but we're both glad I insisted and for the chain of events which led us here-it greatly improved our accommodation).

You are actually paying a hostel price for a hotel (only $50 a night double, WITHOUT ensuite) and have all the inclusions; good-sized private TV with remote (and movie channel!), fridge, tea/coffee facilities and there's even a separate kitchen with TV, comfortable seating and coffee table! There's no cooktop or oven but there is a microwave (which I used a good bit), kettle, plates, cups, cutlery etc.

Plus you get a hotel quality reception area (there's two parts to this hotel, in the new part you'd pay about double the price for a room so you could say you also get hotel quality service for half the price). It's obvious this place beats any hostel handsdown!

Within each of the shared bathrooms (male and female) on the floor there are 3 showers and 3 toilets (each separated by a door) which are more than enough. Each time I went to use the shower or toilet there was never anybody there. You feel like you're in a detached private bathroom x 3.

Only hiccup we had was we got stuck with a not-so-good room at first because it was one of only two left (rooms 1 & 2) and it vibrates and captures the noise down below when there's music on (the music is played for quite a while so be warned if you get either of these rooms).

Luckily I asked about another room and discovered the one directly opposite in the corner (I think # 7) was much better, bigger, brighter and more airy. Both rooms are near the kitchen and not far from the bathroom. Bathroom looks quite new and is heaps better than the old crappy ones back at the hostel.

Our room looked out onto the large balcony which wraps around the hotel PLUS if you have bluetooth internet connection there's a cafe across the road from which you can get free access without moving from this particular room. Or you can use the internet on the balcony. Whatever you prefer!

I'd like to commend one of the housekeeping staff who works here. Unfortunately I did not get her name. She was very helpful and friendly in her approach and was the one who made me aware that room 7 was free in the first place (then allowed me to have a look at the room when I asked). This set me in motion where I went down to reception to organise the room change. She was also helpful in helping us sort out the TV remote.

Our new room came with a fireplace (gives a nice homey feel) and easily accommodated a small table and cushioned chair (albeit a bit worn) with plenty of room left over. It has more windows (with white sheer curtains) and we got a lot more light (whereas the other room only opened out to an enclosed space with some light from above). The TV was also better positioned (on top of the mini fridge instead of high up near the ceiling on a stand).

I was really excited about this place because I couldn't believe people are staying in hostels when this is just up the road! It was a welcome change after staying at the Shiralee which I thought was a bit of a dump when I first arrived. But that's a story for a different posting.

Okay, it's a bit of a walk into the city centre but if you are staying in the Northbridge area, then FORGET THE HOSTELS, STAY HERE! It's good for spending time and relaxing..and not only do you get to watch what you want when you want on TV, you can watch the movie channel all day til you nod off.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple