“A Lovely Property in East Perth”

The Sebel East Perth
Ranked #23 of 66 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed 23 August 2014

Stayed for 8 nights at the 1 bedroom apartment with a river view of this lovely property in East Perth and as a warning, this is more of a partially-serviced apartment than a hotel, which some probably find to be a deal breaker. What we loved most about this property was its location. Sure it's not CBD or Burswood, but we love the residential feel of East Perth. A supermarket is just across the street and there are tonnes of ethnic restaurants scattered within a walking distance of the hotel. A 5 minute gorgeous walk along the Claisebrook Cove will also take you to Victoria Gardens and the Swan River. The Sebel is on the Yellow CAT line which will take you to Perth CBD for free. As we were renting a car, we also find the Sebel very convenient because it is just a two minute traffic-free drive to a highway which makes driving to the different parts of Perth feels quick.

Our one bedroom was ultra minimalist with virtually no character whatsoever. Amenities were basic and the bed was average at best. Since we had a two year old with us, the full kitchen, the washer and dryer truly saved our lives. Housekeeping was not daily but rather on "a third day basis", which turned out to be the fourth day after we had spent our third night. The apartment was very spacious which was wonderful for our little one to run around. There is no room service at the hotel and there is no bellman to help with the suitcases. But despite that, we received help with our suitcases from the front desk staff on our check-in day and was deposited in our room pronto. Real classy!

We brought a car with us to the hotel and it turned out that there was no parking inside the building, but rather, we have to use the public car park near the hotel or the street parking located all around the area. This initially bothered me, but if you really study the different parking signs around the area, you can really save some money. Taking advantage of the free street parking after 6pm, and the fact that we were hardly in the hotel during the day, we did not pay for parking on most nights saving us mucho dinero.

I have a few gripes about the property though. First and foremost, are the towels. They were mostly stained and they looked disgusting. Please, for the love of Gandhi, change them. Second, despite the fact that housekeeping was only on the fourth day, they were sloppy at best. Our bathtub were never cleaned during our 8 night stay (we purposely left strands of hair) and many parts of the apartment were covered in dusts. Our third gripe has to do with the prepaid breakfast when we made our reservation. During our reservation, we paid A$20 per person for breakfast and upon check-in, we received a A$40 voucher (2 adults) to be used at a restaurant down the street called Kinky Lizard. This one I found slightly demeaning because usually, the idea of prepaying for something is so that we can get something of better value (e.g a buffet breakfast). Instead, by prepaying, we were stuck with vouchers of the same amount as we have paid to be used at the same restaurant morning after morning. Fortunately Kinky Lizard was a nice place to have breakfast with friendly staff and great food. But still, NEVER PREPAY YOUR BREAKFAST AT THIS PROPERTY!!!

The reason we gave this property four dots was that looking at the competitors available in the city and the prices they were charging, I don't think I will stay anywhere else. For the price, I get a spacious and comfortable place to stay in a charming and quiet area with great access, transportation wise, to the city and the surrounding area. Members of the front desk were wonderful and they really do their best to make you feel at home which was a definite plus.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Publius28
Mandy R, General Manager at The Sebel East Perth, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Dear Publius28,

Thank you so much for your amazing review, it is filled with so much information of which I believe many will find so helpful.

I am sorry about the cleanliness of you room and the state of the towels. I will address this with both parties.

Again, thankyou for your descriptive review and we hope to see you here again one day,

Mandy

An Accor traveller
Corlette
Reviewed 20 August 2014

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Mandy R, General Manager at The Sebel East Perth, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Have stayed here in the past and tried it again for two nights. Previously was ok except a city view room has nil view of anything relating to a city. This time I did have a water view room with a light pole and light right out the window.

The service on arrival was poor, arriving at the boom gate to the car park there was no reponse when 'buzzing' for entry.

At reception, Receptionist advised you have to check in before you can park the car, the Sebel has nil parking except the general on street parking so I had to leave the car blocking the entrance to the building and it's other tenants while I checked in.

By calling themselves "Residences" they don't clean or restock the bathroom each day. They give you only one little hotel soap to last. If the response is 'all you have to do is ask' why not simply supply more to guests staying more than one night.

The room had a bed side lamp missing, unless all rooms have only one. There was some small amounts of mould in the shower/bath as well. Door handle on bathroom door loose and did not shut correctly.

Window was also stuck shut, maintenance came and fixed that during the day. I couldn't find the a/c control (a remote) but maintenance also said that was ok and was on the wall on my return.

While all the above is not the end of the world I do expect all of the above (especially mould) to not happen in a $250 per night establishment.

Perhaps my expectations are too high for this hotel and I have lowered them accordingly for Sebel.

On the positive side, Mandy R the General Manager sent a note under the door after I was phoned and I said I'll seek another hotel next time and had nothing more to say.
Mandy's note.
"I am sorry that we have let you down.
I appreciate you do not wish to discuss with me at present and feel this is not worth pursuing.
Should you change your mind please do not hesitate to contact me whether is be prior to or after your departure."

In my opinion, this hotel is not as good this time as last. Sebel Hotel pricing with motel service and rooms.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
7  Thank bam1748

Dear Bam1748,

Thank you for your comments and for your kind words regarding the card I left you. I am sorry you felt so let down by your last stay.

My offer stands that if you ever need to discuss the details of your stay further, I will always be more than happy to do so.

All the best and I can only hope you reconsider and choose to stay with us at The Sebel East Perth one day.

Take care and best wishes,

Reviewed 9 August 2014

A beautiful outlook over the water, especially at night. Self contained apartments, very well set up, including laundry. Lovely pool. Front desk staff very welcoming and helpful. No daily housekeeping. Free yellow CAT bus stop just outside or comfortable walk to CBD. Close to the WACA for cricket fans. We were catching the Indian Pacific and easily walked pulling our luggage to the station. Some noise from the restaurant/bar below but all quiet by 11.00 on Saturday night. A variety of eateries in the vicinity... Everything just works well.

Room Tip: Get waterside room
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Candj60,

Thank you so much for your very descriptive review of The Sebel East Perth. As you highlighted servicing of the rooms is every 3 days as we are an apartment style Hotel. There is always the option of daily servicing if required.

Thank you again so much and I do hope we get to welcome you back here one day,

Stay well,

Regards,

Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Have just stayed here and the service was great. Every time you walk past reception you are greeted and made feel welcome. Rooms have everything you need. Hotel is located in a quieter part of city, but heaps of cafés located close by. Very easy walk to the main part of the city

Stayed: August 2014

Dear KaykaBlack05,

Thank you so much for your fantastic review and your lovely comments regarding the Hotel and the staff.

It is wonderful that we were able to make you feel so welcome. The staff here are so genuine in their service and are always aiming to make people feel like they are at home.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

I've stayed at the Sebel twice and both times have been very pleasant. Friendly staff and great service. Rooms are spacious and clean, beds comfortable and an awesome view to go with it! Central location too! Will be back!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Hi RossWilson94,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Sebel East Perth. It is a fantastic view isn't. I am not sure if you were lucky enough to see the dolphins swimming down in Claisebrook Cove whilst you were here. I was the other day and it is truly a very special experience.

Looking forward having you stay with us again soon...

Regards,

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We would definitely stay here again. A top spot on the river, close to the airport in a nice, quiet area with good dining options & liquor store close by.

Perfect for business or pleasure although a little expensive.

Room Tip: Pick one with a river view
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CrippAdvisor

Dear CrippAdvisor,

Thank you so much for your amazing review. You really have summed us up in so few words, thank you.

I do hope we get to welcome you back here again one day soon,