“Clean and quiet”

Ranked #23 of 64 Hotels in Perth
Gold Coast
“Clean and quiet”
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We stayed 3 nights while on a family visit to Perth. The hotel is located central city with everything close by. The rooms are a good size and tastefully furnished. We had a studio room at the back of the building and this was ideal. The front of the building faces a very noisy pub so if you want peace and quiet ask for a room at the back.
The hotel staff are helpful and the cleaning was very good.
The one issue is the drop off parking area. One car space only and that was occupied. The hotel explained they do not have anywhere to park while dropping bags and checking in . This is crazy in an inner city location and the Council are we are told the council won't help as they derive a lot of revenue from travellers who get caught as we did. Our fine for a 5 min drop off was $120 .
And these places wonder why tourists won't come back!

Room Tip: Quiet rooms are at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I am writing to about our recent stay at the Mantra on Murray St, Perth WA.

We made our accommodation booking through NeedItNow.com. My request was for overnight accommodation on Christmas night December 25th, for 2 Adults & 1 Child. When we booked in the accommodation was for 2 Adults only, luckily we had the porta cot in the boot of the car from the previous day. We used the parking option provided to us by the hotel, we had to carry a 2 year old, the porta cot and luggage through the streets because the access to Murray Street was blocked off.

We arrived in our room, which was lovely and clean and very spacious so there was no problem there. However the corridors were overwhelmingly hot and the rooms air conditioners were very very loud.

Breakfast the next morning was great, the staff were wonderful and accommodating for our daughter. We checked out easily around 10am and were on our way.

We noticed an hour after we checked out that we had left out daughters soft bunny teddy behind in the room. This bunny is probably her most loves possession in the world & she hasn't had a night away from it since she was brought home from hospital as a newborn. I immediately rang reception & spoke to Eloise and explained the situation. She said she would contact housekeeping and I said we were on our way back in and would pick it up. The bunny was 100% in the room. As I said she won't go to sleep without it & had it the previous night.

I arrived at reception & Eloise informed me that the bunny was not in the room and house keeping had stripped the beds. I asked if it was possible for me to have a look, as I was certain the bunny was amongst the sheets from when our daughter ended up in bed with us that morning. I was denied the opportunity to look for myself despite knowing the bunny had to be there. Needless to say I am devastated, my daughter is devastated and I am not happy at all that I was not allowed to go back into the room, not even an hour and a half later to look for my property.

I can't say our experience with the Mantra on Murray was a pleasant one.

• Stayed December 2013
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I arrived pretty early in Perth (around 8AM I was already at the hotel) and for my positive surprise the staff said that as soon as a room would be available they would give me one (I would not need to wait till afternoon). In fact I was in a room around 11am.
You can get from the intl terminal of Perth through a public bus (leaves you just 3 blocks away from the hotel).
Everything was working in the room: AC, refrigerator, tv, shower, etc... The room is big and I was offered something in the back, so I did not hear any noise at all during the evening.
Internet must be paid and it is quite expensive. The hotel is well located: you are very close to the subway, information center, supermarkets, etc. If I would go back to Perth, I would definitively stay in the same place (if price is not high). I do not believe it is a 4 stars hotel. For me is like a basic 3 stars, but nothing wrong at all.

Room Tip: My room was at the back of the hotel. No noise at all during the evening!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Henry T
Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

First stay in a Mantra - an excellent choice!
This is an excellent city centre apartment hotel. We stayed in a studio for 12 nights as part of a 6 week holiday in Australia. We had felt that we might be constrained for space, but this was not the case. We had a large room which accommodated a comfortable sofa, a desk, a very comfortable bed and a kitchen that allowed us to self cater meals when we wanted. There is also excellent storage space and a good bathroom. With a supermarket across the road, a CAT stop outside and 5 minutes walk to the train and bus stations, this is an ideal location to explore Perth and the surrounding areas. All the hotel staff were very pleasant, efficient and especially helpful.
The only downside is that there is no free internet access. 2 hours access costs $15. This is the only place during our 6 week stay in Australia that didn't provide any free access - 30 minutes a day would be good. Free access is available at the tourist information point and in various areas of the city, but this isn't always convenient at night or when trying to connect back home with a significant time difference.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

If visiting Perth this hotel is well worth your consideration. It's central and well located in regard to many good pubs and cafés!!
The room are spacious and well maintained! The staff were great! They were helpful and happy to assist! As a bonus the price I paid included a full breakfast that was quite satisfactory!!

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Visited Mantra on Murray about a month ago. It was located opposite Raine Square - which had a Coles' supermarket and a food court at the basement level which was an excellent location considering its' close proximity to the city centre.

Moving onto the hotel, check-in was quick and efficient, staff were friendly. The hotel rooms were well-equipped with hot plates & microwaves if you decide to save some money by cooking your own meals; which is a great plus considering how almost everything in Perth is rather expensive and a meal can easily be more than A$10. A refrigerator is provided as well and the entire room was very well-lit. The air-conditioner was a bit louder than your usual air-conditioner, although it didn't affect my sleep, so I did not mind how loud the air-conditioner was. But it still kept the room at a comfortable temperature.

The mattress and pillows were very comfortable and there were a wide selection of TV channels for you to choose from.

I received a breakfast voucher from the official website as well - the breakfast was nothing much to rave about though; very average.

There were some negative points to this hotel though. The corridor was very musty and warm, looked very dull and grey. Thank goodness the hotel room was the exact opposite of the corridor. Another negative feature was the card key. We had a hard time trying to open the door for some reason, we had to try for like 3 minutes to finally get the door open. It would also be better if the hotel provided free Wi-Fi which would be another huge plus. However, this didn't affect me because I was able to surf the internet using my prepaid card with 500MB of mobile data.

Overall, this is a good hotel if you are looking for somewhere that is very strategically located in the city center and a simple place for you to have a good nights' rest. I would most likely pick from Mantra's range of hotels the next time I visit Australia.

Room Tip: Pick the rooms which are not facing the main road because there's a rather popular bar opposite...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank SG_Jun
Brisbane
Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

Room was clean and functional with everything expected of a CBD hotel. Service was friendly and responsive. The issue I have is that my first night's sleep was wrecked by a loud internal zircon unit - the compressor/engine for the unit was in the room. I turned it off, but there was no window to open. I complained and to their credit, they replaced the unit the next day (the whole unit !). Trouble was the second unit, whilst less noisy, still disturbed my sleep. Hopefully this isn't an issue with all rooms.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business