“4 days in hell”

Ranked #24 of 64 Hotels in Perth
Melbourne, Australia
“4 days in hell”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

had 4 days over weekend. Hotel faces a sweet English Pub called the Moon & Sixpence - and it ROCKS = NO SLEEP.
The pub had to compete with the airconditioning unit in the room though it's like having a semi-trailer in the room - only one per room, and as the bedroom is separated from the lounge - there is no cooling in the inferno in which you sleep.

Room Tip: Even if you ask for a quiet room off the road you will still not be able to sleep because you can he...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Pip W
Peter_Halliday, General Manager at Mantra on Murray, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Dear Pip W,

I am sorry that you have not enjoyed your stay with us.
Our location in the heart of the city is a major selling point for the hotel.Whilst it is true that the Moon and Sixpence is open late on weekends, the vast majority of our rooms are situated away from any disturbance and on most weekends including all those in March, our occupancy was arounf 80% so I am surprised if we could not find a quiet room for you to stay in.

I do believe that we can deliver a comfortable relaxing environment for our guests to explore the city. I would welcome an opportunity to invite you back and show you what we can truly offer.
If you are returning to Perth, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. I am sure we can deliver what you are looking for in a hotel.

Mantra on Murray

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I would stay there again its a value for money hotel and good for familes with young kids.

Pros
- Very well located, you can get taxis, buses and its quite near a train station
- Staff was friendly and helpful
- House keeping was good
- Coles supermarket is just a stone's throw away
- Lots of Restaurants, watering holes around
- Very near shopping area
- Aircon was cool enough to feel comfortable
- Kitchenette facilities

Cons
- Reception and hallway was hot and stuffy
- Walls were thin so you can here doors closing from other rooms
- Aircon was noisy, at times it sounded like a helicopter was hovering from a far

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the back, its quieter.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank ssureal
Reviewed 13 March 2014 via mobile

The staff were super friendly and really helpful. Our room was absolutely beautiful and the cleaners were also really nice too. We were on a higher floor so traffic noise wasn't a problem neither was the pub across the road, the location of the hotel is probably what got me. I can't fault anything on this hotel :)

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Margaret River.
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Something dreadfully wrong with the ventilation and airconditioning. We stayed on a warm (but not hot) day. The temperature inside the public areas (hallways etc) was stifling. Our room was stuffy and despite having the aircon on at maximum, the room was hot. Sleep was difficult. If you are like me, sleep is one of the essentials of a hotel room. On that score, Mantra was a disappointment. Other aspects (convenience, cleanliness etc) were quite ok. The aircon is a disaster. We heard other guests complaining about it at the front desk.

Room Tip: check the aircon !!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bill I
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 3 March 2014

When I stepped out of the elevator into the hallway I was almost overcome by the sweltering heat. The hallway was easily 35 deg and 80% humidity. The first room they gave me was like a sauna, the second room was marginally cooler but with a noisy rattling and leaking air conditioner. As a regular visitor to WA I'm unlikely to stay here again.

Room Tip: Tips to choose a good room? Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Karen W
Peter_Halliday, General Manager at Mantra on Murray, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear Karen W,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry you were not happy with the facilities at Mantra on Murray. It is a fact that we are currently having to cope with public area air conditioning that is not working as it should and on the weekend when external temperatures were in the range of 38 -39 degree celcius it was lees than an ideal situation. The in room airconditioning however should have been able to cope with this and I apologise that this was clearly not working properly.
I have asked my maintenance team to have a look at the room you stayed in and ensure the airconditioner is working correctly.

I do hope you will give us an opportunity in the future to show that this was an isolated incident and that we nornally deliver a much more pleasant environment for our guests. Pleas edo not hesitate to contact me directly should you wish to discuss this.

Kid regards

St. Ives, Australia
Reviewed 27 February 2014

Smokers are made to smoke on footpath outside. Pj party in street . Friendly service. Very central. Facilities to be self contained. Supermarket across street along with rail station. Fantastic hair salon in mall and nail tech bar. What more could a woman want

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Carole H,

Thank you for your kind review of Mantra on Murray. I had to chuckle at your reference to the PJ party at the front of the building for smokers. I am sure you are aware that it is illegal to smoke in any hotels in Australia and so these little congrewgations do tend to occur from time to time.

I am very pleased to read that our service facilities and location ticked all the boxes for you.

We look foirward to welcoming you back soon

Tweed Heads, Australia
Reviewed 21 February 2014

Still scratching my head a bit about this one. The location is exceptional, a hundred yards from the Murray St Mall. Taxi across the road, buses, including the free one, a stones throw away. Pubs, eateries, CBD shopping all nearby but the facility itself left a bit to be desired. The staff are terrific. Helpful, knowledgeable, courteous but I'm not sure. Was disappointed to have made a booking via the Mantra site weeks and weeks in advance making a simple request that wasn't honoured or mentioned at check in. The room itself was comfortable enough but offers no Foxtel, the shower is in a bathtub and the air conditioning unit was at floor level and a little noisy. Just not sure, doubt I'd stay again seeing there are numerous options in the precinct.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Peter_Halliday, General Manager at Mantra on Murray, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear KandK_2486,

Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased that you found the staff terrific and the location is very popular with all our guests. I am surprised about your comment relating to Foxtel as we do have 5 foxtel channels available in the hotel.

I do hope that you will try us again in the future when you have a need to saty in the city.