“Well worth it”

Ranked #5 of 49 Speciality Lodging in Perth
Bunbury, Australia
“Well worth it”
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I usually stay in the cheap accommodation in Northbridge when in Perth. But after staying at a higher end hostel in Melbourne on my last holiday, I really could not bring myself to do that this time, cheap places in Perth are generally gross.
Finding the hostel was a little tricky as I did not record the address and thought that it would be easy as to find through signage, my fault there.

The staff were friendly, efficient, awesome, they work really hard to make sure everything is good and to keep things clean.
Curry night was great, and the bakery food too, food always helps bring people together, I chose the right day.
The people staying were from all around the place, very nice and considerate, drank responsibly, were keen for a chat , to play a game of pool, or to party in the city.

+ The character is really groovy with feature walls and large posters.
+ I liked the size of the hostel, noncommercial and personal.
+ The room was a good size, clean with adequate ventilation and heating.
If I factor into the price the extra I'd spend staying somewhere that didn't have some food, laundry, and Internet included then the price to stay is well worth paying.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank AbelWood

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
World citizen
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I stayed in a four person dorm during my trip to Perth. The location is great about 5 minutes walking from the Perth CBD or if you want you can take a bus from the end of the street. About 2 minute walk from the WACA for cricketing enthusiasts.

The reception staff were incredibly warm and welcoming and also did a top job in keeping the place exceptionally neat and tidy. There was larger garden a big common room with pool table, another common room with a large TV and a huge kitchen with basic breakfast (cereal, milk, bread and condiments provided). The hostel had a relaxed atmosphere without any rude, obnoxious, drunk guests but still plenty of nice people willing to mingle. The free wifi was also good.

I had to stay on a top bunk which I normally don't like but the mattress here was great. I practically fell asleep straight away and was never woken.

They also do BBQ's some nights and pastries some morning but unfortunately I was only there a short time and missed out on these.

I would recommend and re-visit this hostel.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank funlight
Alice Springs, Australia
Reviewed 2 April 2013

It was my first time staying in a hostel. I must say that it was an awesome experience. The hostel is small so you really feel at home. It's very clean and tidy.
Fan, AC and heat are in the rooms in case it gest cold or warm. The location is also great as it is 15 minutes from CBD and mall streets. There is the bus stop just 2 blocks away, where the yellow and the red cat stop (free buses to the city). A lot of free things: bed sheets, towels, breakfast, wi-fi, pasta, bread, noodles.
Charlie is a great host, very attentive to the guest's needs. All the staff are professional, friendly and so helpful.
Thank you all (Charlie, Lena, Linda, Bri, Milena, Chris) for making my sty there a special one.
Cheers!
Dalia

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 18 March 2013

This backpacker is one of the best I've stayed at yet.

Airport shuttle to/from doorstep. Plenty of free in- house entertainment like pool table, table tennis, foxtel (cable), darts. Free wifi and HEAPS of free food; includng an awesome barbecue. This is a big bonus as Perth dining is really expensive; hard to find a meal at $10-below.

I highly recommend this place!

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank DizzaJ
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 11 January 2013

I stayed 3 nights here recently and I am so glad I did! It wasn't without trepidation as it's been a long time to stay at a hostel, but Wickham Retreat exceeded my expectations. It felt more like a large summer home and it was easy to mix & mingle with other guests. The facilities are clean and kept in good order. The Thurs nite BBQ was really fun. No nickel and diming of their guests (free wifi and access to washer). I don't generally write reviews, but I highly recommend this hidden gem!!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2012 via mobile

Stayed here in October for 5days initially ended up being 7days.
Perfect hostel for lone travellers or couples, not a party area head to Northbridge for that.
Bedroom dorms are 4per room loads of space for bags, private rooms are on offer too. Free wifi throughout hostel loads of free food for breakfast and snacks throughout the day. One or two free dinners a week we had a huge BBQ the owner put on and was a great way to get to know everyone.
About a 15min walk into the centre which is nothing. Would totally recommend the hostel and is the best hostel I have stayed in throughout Australia.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Ellie2103
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 13 October 2012

I stayed here for 5 nights in September 2012. I paid $38/night for a 4 bed room. Price-wise it's the most expensive hostel I have stayed at, but you actually get good value for your money. Location is 10-15 minute walk from the city center. There is a free CAT bus stop a couple blocks away if you don't want to walk. You get free food, internet, and laundry. The food is great: shelves full of pasta, noodles, beans, onions, potato's pasta sauce, milk, bread, butter and twice a week they go but real food for you. On Saturday there is a proper BBQ and on Tuesdays/Fridays they stock the kitchen with pizza/sandwiches. The owner Charlie hangs around some nights and he is a really friendly guy. He took all of us out into the city to party one night, paid for the taxi too. His brother also has several shops around the Perth area and if you are looking for work it's very convenient. I would definitely recommend it to those in the area!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo