“Simply Awesome !!”

Wickham Retreat Backpackers
Ranked #6 of 56 Speciality Lodging in Perth
Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

I moved to perth on my PR visa and booked wickham for a few nights..... However, i kept extending my stay here once i lived here for a while. I arrived at 1 am and was well received and shown around. The people in the hostel were friendly and there was always a certain degree of warmth around. The owner Charlie, Chris and the other staff are always on their toes and trying their best to make you feel welcome and comfortable.
The rooms are nice, the toilets are plenty and very clean. My personal favourite was the pool table and the tv room with a free collection of dvd's to choose from. I stayed here for a month and enjoyed every bit of it. It may be a hostel but this is the closest you can get to the feeling of being at home.
Loads of free food, sandwich nights, curry nights and the mouth watering saturday barbecue by Charlie make it just a wonderful place to stay. Being a small hostel, you get to know the people better and it makes for a lovely time.Free wifi and laundry with two clean kitchen's just make it perfect to stay at. I stayed here for a month before Charlie helped me find an apartment, however i keep going back for some nice evenings to Wickham as I really miss the place.
All in all, its by far the best place to stay in Perth, great value for money, close to the city, railway station and the WACA.
There are some people who will always find a fault with everything..... But if you can really appreciate whats truly in front of you, then trust me Wickham is the best.

Couldn't have asked for a better start in Australia.

Thank you Charlie , Chris and team. You know I am always gonna be around !

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank Saurabhmum

Reviewed 4 July 2013

Have to agree with Wesley D (reviewed June 2012). We had also read really good reviews about how friendly it was here and value for money etc.
We arrived in the early hours of the morning and were told to sleep on the couch in the living room (with another couple of the other couch) until our room was ready. When we did get our room (non sharing double) it was like staying in somebody's little brother's room - posters all over the walls, old furniture and cold.
The bathrooms were filthy (no matter what time of day you used them) and the facilities were average. You do get basic ingredients for a free breakfast and some of the other guests were very nice but there were quite a lot of long stay residents here so it does have the feel of a squat.
While there is a free bus into town, it is a bit of a walk. Having said that, I'm not sure if there are many central/ budget placed to stay in Perth.
All in all, disappointing and we wouldn't recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
perthcharlie, Manager at Wickham Retreat Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2014

Not sure how you can say such things when you came to wickham at 7am and beds are not ready till 11.30 am but we asked if you would like to chill out and have a shower and something to eat. I think you need to learn a bit more about been a backpacker :O(

Its a backpackers not a hotel :O)

Reviewed 10 June 2013

I usually stay in the cheap accommodation in Northbridge when in Perth. But after staying at a higher end hostel in Melbourne on my last holiday, I really could not bring myself to do that this time, cheap places in Perth are generally gross.
Finding the hostel was a little tricky as I did not record the address and thought that it would be easy as to find through signage, my fault there.

The staff were friendly, efficient, awesome, they work really hard to make sure everything is good and to keep things clean.
Curry night was great, and the bakery food too, food always helps bring people together, I chose the right day.
The people staying were from all around the place, very nice and considerate, drank responsibly, were keen for a chat , to play a game of pool, or to party in the city.

+ The character is really groovy with feature walls and large posters.
+ I liked the size of the hostel, noncommercial and personal.
+ The room was a good size, clean with adequate ventilation and heating.
If I factor into the price the extra I'd spend staying somewhere that didn't have some food, laundry, and Internet included then the price to stay is well worth paying.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank AbelWood
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I stayed in a four person dorm during my trip to Perth. The location is great about 5 minutes walking from the Perth CBD or if you want you can take a bus from the end of the street. About 2 minute walk from the WACA for cricketing enthusiasts.

The reception staff were incredibly warm and welcoming and also did a top job in keeping the place exceptionally neat and tidy. There was larger garden a big common room with pool table, another common room with a large TV and a huge kitchen with basic breakfast (cereal, milk, bread and condiments provided). The hostel had a relaxed atmosphere without any rude, obnoxious, drunk guests but still plenty of nice people willing to mingle. The free wifi was also good.

I had to stay on a top bunk which I normally don't like but the mattress here was great. I practically fell asleep straight away and was never woken.

They also do BBQ's some nights and pastries some morning but unfortunately I was only there a short time and missed out on these.

I would recommend and re-visit this hostel.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank funlight
Reviewed 2 April 2013

It was my first time staying in a hostel. I must say that it was an awesome experience. The hostel is small so you really feel at home. It's very clean and tidy.
Fan, AC and heat are in the rooms in case it gest cold or warm. The location is also great as it is 15 minutes from CBD and mall streets. There is the bus stop just 2 blocks away, where the yellow and the red cat stop (free buses to the city). A lot of free things: bed sheets, towels, breakfast, wi-fi, pasta, bread, noodles.
Charlie is a great host, very attentive to the guest's needs. All the staff are professional, friendly and so helpful.
Thank you all (Charlie, Lena, Linda, Bri, Milena, Chris) for making my sty there a special one.
Cheers!
Dalia

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 March 2013

This backpacker is one of the best I've stayed at yet.

Airport shuttle to/from doorstep. Plenty of free in- house entertainment like pool table, table tennis, foxtel (cable), darts. Free wifi and HEAPS of free food; includng an awesome barbecue. This is a big bonus as Perth dining is really expensive; hard to find a meal at $10-below.

I highly recommend this place!

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank DizzaJ
Reviewed 11 January 2013

I stayed 3 nights here recently and I am so glad I did! It wasn't without trepidation as it's been a long time to stay at a hostel, but Wickham Retreat exceeded my expectations. It felt more like a large summer home and it was easy to mix & mingle with other guests. The facilities are clean and kept in good order. The Thurs nite BBQ was really fun. No nickel and diming of their guests (free wifi and access to washer). I don't generally write reviews, but I highly recommend this hidden gem!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo