“Slightly expensive speciality lodging in the heart of the city.”
Review of Kangaroo Inn

Kangaroo Inn
Ranked #6 of 52 Speciality Lodging in Perth
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Clean rooms with very clean bathrooms & very clean bed linen in the heart of the city. Free public buses a short walk away & the main train station a little further off. Very large common area with large kitchen & all necessary appliances & utensils to cook-up a home-like meal. What more do you want as a backpacker ?

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Innkeeper K, Manager at Kangaroo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear chemengg00,

Thank you for your review.

Great to know you liked our common areas especially the kitchen. We know how it feels when you've been travelling a while and all you want is a nice home cooked meal =)

There are newer reviews for Kangaroo Inn

Reviewed 4 June 2014

I stayed at the Kangaroo Inn with my husband, sister and friend for one night in June 2014. We definitely recommend this hostel for people who enjoy the social & communal aspect of hostel travelling but who nevertheless want spotlessly clean and modern amenities.

Location - this hostel is located in the Perth CBD (downtown area) on Murray Street and is a one minute walk to the Murray Street and Hay Street mall strips. The hostel is also a 15 minute walk or 1 minute cab ride to Northbridge, where there are many bars, although there are also several bars and restaurants in the CBD.

Cleanliness & amenities - in the 50+ hostels I have stayed in, this one is honestly the cleanest and nicest. Everything is 3-4 star hotel standard - even the shared bathrooms are done up with lovely quality fixtures and fittings. As noted, this hostel is for people who like hotel style amenities and cleanliness but who want a more sociable experience than hotels normally offer.

Other amenities - big commercial size / fully equipped kitchen, plenty of food storage space (incl refrigerator space), large and luxurious TV room with flat screen, many books and magazines, pool table, computers / stereo equipment, free unlimited wifi, & outstanding range of traveller resources (e.g. info on how to lodge tax returns in many countries, etc).

Staff - the staff are really friendly, helpful and accommodating. They are so nice!

Social aspects - as noted this is a social hostel. It permits drinking on the premises but they don't like drunken/disorderly behaviour. It is not your 'party hostel' but as any hostel owner or traveller knows, you kind of have to be a party hostel or a quiet hostel or else you will do both badly. This one is a quiet hostel and it does that brilliantly.

Sleep quality - amazing! Can't believe how quiet it was even though we were right in the downtown area! Nice mattress and pillows.

All in all this hostel represents an outstanding option for hostel travellers wanting a sociable experience but who nevertheless want cleanliness and a good night's sleep. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Maddy1982
Innkeeper K, Manager at Kangaroo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Dear Maddy1982

My staff and I really appreciate your review.

You've nailed us right!

Kangaroo Inn strives to provide nice clean accommodation with a pleasant social atmosphere and all on a budget. So very good to hear your feedback on this especially from one who has travelled extensively such as yourself =)

Hope to welcome you again soon and please do recommend us to your friends

Innkeeper

P.S. You mentioned how you had such a great night's rest. Well the secret to our beds is that we invested in 4 star hotel grade mattresses to give our guests the best night sleep we could give them on a budget.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

I just came back from Perth two days ago. I stayed four days at Kangaroo Inn, i have to say, i wish i could have a chance to stay for few more days. Kangaroo Inn is a perfect place to stay for me, as first time backpacker, i look for modern, clean, and secure place to stay at a very reasonable price for all my inquiries, and Ive got it all. The staffs are more than helpful, they reply to my emails promptly, then on the day of my arrival, stay and check out, they made my stay so enjoyable (thanks a lot Stella, Sherwyn and Vita ).
Room : I stayed at 6 bed mixed dorms, the bed are wide and big and comfy enough, i really had a good sleep on it, they provided towel, blanket, linen and the room are so clean, the door is electronic locked door with a secured card, dont worry bout ur safety there, bt u might wanna bring the locks to locked the storage where u can put all ur bellonging. at first night, i stayed alone, then the next day have two other guys as my dormmate, as the only girl there, i felt safe tho, as it secured on Kangaroo inn.
Bathroom/toilet : Bathroom/toilet are separate frm the dorm. the bathroom/toilet equiped with modern facilities. and again so clean, i never have experienced on other backpackers, but if this is a backpacker bathroom/toilet, then it beat some of the 3 stars hotel i ever been. the shower has hot and cold water, so does the washbasin, they also provided the hair drayer and hand drayer. tho on my stay the hot water, a bit not working well.
Wifi/internet facilities : wifi available on all levels, and the connection is pretty fast,if u dont have any devices that can connect to the wifi, just use the common computer on ground level.btw wifi connection is a PLUS thing, as on perth its not easy to find wifi facilities even when u in big hotel.
Common room/kitchen: the common room located on basement, it has comfortable sofas, lots books to read, many plugs to charge ur devices. if u have to many people in ur dorm, and wish to find some privacy while taking a nap, like i did, just come to the common room. You can also watch tv, with wide flat screen and comfortable sofas, the kitchen is big, and equiped with modern things, lots fridge to store ur foods, there is a vending drinking and snack machine as well. good for them who would like to save on meal while staying on pricey perth.
Innskeeper : The innskeeper only available on working hours, but at night time, there is a nightkeeper, if u have any inquries u can dial to the assigned number on lobby area. The front door are automaticaly electrical locked outside working hour, dont forget to always carry ur electronic keycard if u plan to going out late.
To get to the Kangaroo inn : if you come from Perth Intl or domestic Apt. take bus 37 or 40, its about 4.20 AUD. tell driver to drop u off at st.george terrace near the sterling park. then cross the street, goes straight cross Hay street, walk about 1-2 mins, turn right on murray street, there ull see the sign of kangaroo inn.
location: oh its a perfect location, Murray St Mall, Hay st. Mall, Northbridge, kingspark any attraction on Perth CBD are in walking distance or just take the Blue CAT, from the barrack st. stand, lots of restaurants, budget to high is nearby. just perfect location.

overall i enjoyed my stay here, and if i coming back to perth again, i definetely will stay here again :-)

Room Tip: Many room to choose, if u unsure. email them. they respon promptly.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
5  Thank Fira T

Dear Fira266

Wow =)

Thank you for taking the time in writing such a detailed review on our premises as well as your kind comments about our staff. I have passed your kind regards on =)

Thank you for letting us know about the hair dryer on Level 1 Ladies, it has since been repaired.

I hope to welcome you again to Kangaroo Inn soon.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

So clean room and toilets ., more fun at the basement where you can play , watch , cook and read etc . Love it overall. They have good staffs and house keeping maintenance everyday . Malls just walking distance so you can go all put shopping anytime anywhere the city . And outside is a restaurant and manymore . Rooms are affordable price and manymore options you have there . Hoping to be back there if got a chance again haha . I love to stay there forever.

• Stayed: May 2014

Hi Cristopher

Thank you for your review!
Great to hear you had a fantastic time with us and we hope to see you around again

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Kangaroo Inn is a really nice modern and well run hostel. Everywhere is really clean and the facilities are really good. All of the staff are really friendly and polite.

Positive Points include - Very convenient location near to shops/ bars/ public transport. Free Unlimited Wifi ( which is also super fast and works well.) Excellent communal facilities the kitchen is well stocked, there is a comfortable TV area and a free snooker table. Towels are provided. Really comfortable beds and you get your own little light above your bed. The bathrooms are really clean and modern.You can consume your own alcohol in the rooms or communal areas.

The only downside to the hostel I found is if you are a young sociable traveler you may find it hard to meet other people as the communal areas are quiet. Unfortunately during the duration of my stay there were a few really rude and scary guests however upon talking to a member of staff about them they assured me they would keep their eye on some of the guests and problem guests would be asked to leave.

The hostel is expensive compared to other hostels in Australia ( I paid $45 for a 6 bed dorm) however I do believe you get what you pay for and believe me if you stay in some of the other hostels in Perth you will be willing to pay that bit extra!!

Overall I would defiantly recommend this hostel, we actually originally only booked 2 nights and we ended up staying a week!

Room Tip: I was located in a room by the lift which was not ideal as it is really loud. 6 bed dorms are the ch...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Innkeeper K, Manager at Kangaroo Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2014

Dear Zoe845

Thank you for staying and extending your stay at Kangaroo Inn =)

Its always a pleasure for my staff and I to hear guests enjoying our facilities and feeling at home.

Thank you for your comments regarding the rowdy guests, we have a strict policy against anti social behaviour as we know everyone just wants to have a good time and not have others ruin their vacation.

Sorry about our common areas being a bit quiet during your stay, sometimes it can be dead and other times bustling packed, I think we may have made the rooms and beds a bit to comfortable =P

Please recommend us to your friends! Cheers

Reviewed 28 January 2014

I stayed at Kangaroo Inn while in Perth. Although I got a bit lost trying to find it (it really is as simple as the map shows when you know which side of the pedestrianised section of Murray Street to be on) it is really well located right next to the CBD. Although the room wasn't ready when I arrived (I was very early) I was able to store my stuff in the luggage room have a shower and change without any problems. Later when I checked in I was pleasantly surprised by the room. I was given free wi-fi access and a towel which was really handy. My bed had a light above it which was really handy for reading and there was aircon to circulate the air when the room got stuffy. A real bonus!

The kitchen is in the basement which I found to be a bit too dark for my liking (maybe more lights might help with that). It didn't really seem like a good hang out place to meet people as there was hardly anyone in the room and kitchen when I went down each morning/evening.

The bathrooms could not be faulted and were always spotless which made it a real pleasure to use them.

My only minor annoyances were: no free tea/coffee but they did provide condiments so I'll take the victories where I can and that I was only given a light blanket (which as someone who gets cold at night I found not enough to keep me warm (even without the aircon on in the room). Finally, having to always have a key card in the slot to keep the aircon or lights on is a tad annoying.

I would absolutely recommend this place - it was a bit more expensive but location and what you are getting make it worth it.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the lift as it is a bit old and noisy (although the noise dies down real...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank cryskas

Dear Cryskas

Thank you for staying at Kangaroo Inn and for your positive review.

Great to hear you that overall you had a good stay with us and our amenities.

On the kitchen, to save electricity sometimes our other guests and staff may have turned off one row of lights which may have made it a bit dark, your not the second person to comment on this so I think we should put signs up =) Thanks for letting us know.

On the light blanket, we also have our winter blankets available. Usually Perth's summers are quite hot (especially in the dorm rooms) and we found our guests found our winter blankets to warm. I'll make it a point to let our staff know future guests of this.

Thank you for your time and suggestions!

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Kangaroo Inn was definitely the best hostel I’ve ever stayed in my entire life. A great surprise.

I stayed in a single room although there were shared rooms as well with bunk beds.

Super modern, super clean, well-equipped rooms, huge kitchen downstairs, many other leisure shared rooms available, nice area outside in the back. Toilets were clean and modern. Really polite employees. It is a hostel looking like a really nice hotel (4+ stars), and with really good prices.

It is located in the best place of Perth, in the city (“downtown”) where most stores and bars/clubs are. Really close to the subway, train and buses stations, which means it’s pretty easy to reach any other part of the city.

When in Perth next time, I have no doubt at all I will choose Kangaroo Inn again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank LePires

Dear LePires

Great to hear you had an awesome time at Kangaroo Inn and thank you for your positive review!!

Look forward to welcoming you back when you're next in Perth =)