“Best Thai food out of Thailand”
Review of Red Opium

Red Opium
Ranked #38 of 1,390 Restaurants in Perth
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Perth, Australia
“Best Thai food out of Thailand”
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I love Thai food & had been on a quest to find great authentic Thai food out of Thailand. My quest was over once I came across Red Opium. The food is incredible, decor is quirky representative of an Opum Den which goes with the Restaurant name.

Highly recommend this restaurant.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Uttsey

• Korean first
Essex, United Kingdom
“Best Thai in Perth, I would say so.”
Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

One of the best Thai food outlets I have visited. It it is like an old opium den inside. Very quirky but good. The food is to die for. Loved the chicken and cashew nuts. Desserts a bit lacking but fill up on starters and main courses. All would be good.

2 Thank Ace28065
Coonawarra, Australia
“Very noisy but quite good food”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We visited with a group of work colleagues and were looking forward to chatting together and debriefing but unfortunately the noise at Red Opium made that impossible. The interior design was interesting and the food was quite good although the serves were smallish and the bill was largish...Perhaps it was just the circumstances but I wouldn't revisit.

Weymouth, England, United Kingdom
“Something different...”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I Liked walking into a completely different restaurant than I had ever been into and not knowing what to expect, just like being back in the 80s red and black theme, seedy,but not! You've got to go to experience it, not sure about the music , but it's the unusualness of it all that makes it special. Food was very good, service with loads of politeness and smiles, loads of smiles, very Perth.

1 Thank Deborah C
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
“What a mediocre night!”
Reviewed 17 August 2013

To be honest, this place has nice food, but the service was just mediocre!!! It was a mediocre night for us and I won't be back soon that's for sure. The experience was by far the worst I have ever experienced.

That night when we had our dinner was raining, it was cold and we're hungry. Walking into the restaurant, we had mixed impressions. I personally liked the settings. I think it's very authentic. My mom and bro found it a bit unusual and went 'Huh?'...but no biggie!

When we got to our table, they had my name written on a board in a photo frame. I think that was a nice touch. So we quickly looked at the menu cos we're starving and decided to splurge a bit and went for Khantoke Dinner set. The flow of this set is

- 3 starters to share
- Soup for each person
- 4 main dishes to share with rice
- Desserts for each person

The moment we wanted to order was the moment when everything started to crumble slowly...but surely. There were only 2 waitresses. As nice and friendly as they are, but unfortunately they were very slow. I signaled to one of them that we're ready to order, she acknowledged my signal, but didn't come. And I had to signal again and had to wait. So overall, to actually take our order it took 10mins. Bear in mind, it was not that busy. We also asked for tap water just to start off the night..as she finished taking our order. And again, the water didn't show up for the next 5mins. I asked again, the waitress said yes, but nothing happened. I asked again (3rd time!!!!) then she finally served us the water. So again, we waited almost another 10 mins just for the water.

At this point, I felt very uneasy. They were not attentive to our table at all. But I kept it to myself..didn't want to complain too much cos I didn't want to ruin the mood.

And sooooo the long wait began........

We waited almost half an hour..then the soup was served. Hang on! Where were the starters??? Weren't the soups supposed to be 2nd? But anyway...we just went with the flow, thinking the starters would come later and we better drank the soup before it went cold.
We finished the soups..they cleared our table.

And so the loooonnnngggg wait began again...

We waited and waited and waited and waited and waited
By this time, we were starving like hell! Everytime we saw the waitress came out of the kitchen with a dish, we hoped it was for us...but nope, it's for the next table. And another dish came out and it's for the next table and it went on and on and on...

This is ridiculous!!! Our table was the ONLY table with NO FOOD...LITERALLY!!!! It's as if we're not there. All other tables were served all of their foods

I wanted to check with the waitress but gosh, it was a mission impossible! They either literally disappeared into nowhere to be seen or didn't see me or they saw me, acknowledged my call, but never actually came to our table

It had been another 20mins when suddenly Yuhu...oh nope...one of the main dishes came out! NOW HANG ON A MINUTE! Where were the starters??????

My blood was literally boiling hot inside. I was so angry and quickly called the waitress and surprisingly this time she came straight away. I explained the situation to her and she just went blank. She apologized and said she would check with the kitchen. She went in and came out but didn't even say anything anymore and continued her work as if I didn't ask anything.

Another 2 mins went by, and nothing happened. She didn't even come back to us. The main dish was just sitting there and we didn't even know if we should eat it or what...

I called the other waitress. She said she had to check with the kitchen so off she went, came out, apologized and said there has been a mixed up. She asked us to wait, the chef was cooking our food now. We almost walked out...and then the lady owner came out. She apologized and explained the situation. Our food went to the next table. Reasons they used were typical...miscommunication, bla bla bla. So much of the advanced ipad technology they use for taking orders...

The lady owner said the foods were coming and she would give us an extra main dish and 20% discount. And again she apologized.

Starting from this point, suddenly Whisshh...all the staff paid attention to us...after almost 1.5 hrs we waited for our starters. Now we actually got food on our table after all other tables were fed. We're the last table to be served. And everytime the waitress came to our table to serve the food, they apologized again and again and again..Gosh, stop it! It's jst got to a point of becoming really extremely annoying. Because hey, damage has been done. There's no way of putting our smiles back that night. Those smiles we put on that night were all forced smile that we put on for politeness's sake.

Some of the foods were really nice, but some were nothing special. Had it not been for the mediocre service, I would have bragged more about the food.

So there you go...a night that was planned carefully and expected to be a nice night, turned out to be colder than the chilly rainy night outside.

• Visited July 2013