“Hidden Gem”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Absolutely outstanding service by international standard. A couple owns this restaurant and the husband cooks, wife serves so when we asked questions about the meal we not only received a great level of details about the dish, but the owner was able to tell us why they chose it etc. Staff were attentive, prices are reasonable and it is BYO beer or wine. Would definitely recommend.

We were two couples and had the "Surprise Me" set menu and were pleasantly surprised by a delicious menu :) loved the Tom Yum soup!

• Korean first
“Authentic and delicious”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The restaurant has a quiet and relaxing atmosphere - I particularly like that it is slightly 'underground'. Penny, the owner/manager is really lovely too, I have had my birthday dinner there before and she was very flexible and helpful in helping organise the menu.

I love the freshness of the food and the different dishes they have - the Fisherman's Catch and the papaya salad with soft shell crab are my favourites. I usually do not like Pad Thai for it's greasiness at most restaurants, but Red Opium's is non-greasy/oily, fresh, and delicious.

For the quality of the food, I think that the restaurant is fairly well priced. I recommend booking just so you are able to secure a table and won't miss out on this fabulous dining experience!

Visited June 2014
“Great food”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Still kicks over. No one to meet as such, but quickly seated and orders taken. Unlike some who have reviewed, all dishes this time came out together-not the preferred option but it was quietish. Again, the oyster shooters were superb, the prawns, scallops and beef all lovely. Service is not Thai (the guy in charge this visit was Brazilian and the waitress was German), but very nice nonetheless. Last to leave and not all at all felt like we had to. 4th time here and not the last. A
Thai touch would be nice, but never mind.

Thornwood, New York
“Great dining experience!”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

To start, Penny was very accommodating at the last minute and changed our reservation to 30 minutes earlier, which was really great. After reading some reviews on TripAdvisor, we knew going into dinner that service had the potential of being a bit slow, so we made sure to order our appetizers and main courses all at once. Because we did that, the timing of our food coming out of the kitchen was perfect The food was great, although my husband and I are finding it really difficult to order anything in Perth as spicy as we normally like it. Not a big issue though, as the flavors were great. We had oyster shooters, the soft shell crab and apple salad (AMAZING), F duck, and I think pad thai. We will definitely return.

Sydney, Australia
“Brilliant”
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Excellent meals that come out superfast. Penny is amazing, I always book via email as I have taken a few groups and have over a dozen people. She couldn't be better to deal with. The meals are excellent, even people who generally don't like Asian food always rave about the meals. I really like that Penny goes out of her way to ensure the correct level of spice for each person, that's rare. Looking forward to going again soon.

1 Thank SWCSydney