“Worth a look”

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Yes, the food is all fresh, tasteful and nice. Also original recipes. Table service - yes, thanks the gods. I'd recommend for breakfast and lunch. A nice alternate from Mary St Bakery 100m up the road. I like this place as the vibe is soft and relaxing and bucks the trend from the industrial Perth look.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

I have dined at Solomon's café on quite a few occasions. Some dishes are flavoursome and delicious while others lack flavour. Every time I dined here the service was always with a smile :). Some of the seating is a little uncomfortable however you do have options on where to sit. I love the café layout and the fact they are providing Perth with another very healthy eating option. Definitely on the right track.

Reviewed 22 November 2013

I dined here last night with 2 friends. 2 of us ordered the mango smoothie and could taste no mango (in fact it didn't really taste of anything). All of us ordered the vegan nachos - made with blackbeans but no chili (!) and the "guacamole" consisted of about a teaspoon of diced avocado - that was it! I mentioned my complaints to the waitress who thought I was joking! I then ordered a coffee which came in a chipped cup. Service was very hit and miss. The chairs are metal and have no cushions so they become uncomfortably pretty quickly. Overall it was really disappointing - and overpriced for what we got ($9 smoothie, $20 nachos). I doubt I'll be returning. (If you're after somewhere vegan, try either of the Loving Huts in Victoria Park.)

Reviewed 28 September 2013

Dropped in while on walkabout, just to get a look at menu and feel for the place. Menu looks good - very healthy selection. We opted for a couple of smoothies - very good - served up in jars. Ambience feels really good - get a window seat to observe the world passing by.

Reviewed 17 August 2013

Went here for dinner about a month ago, as I am a very health-conscious eater who also avoids dairy products, which sometimes makes dining a bit difficult. This place caters to lots of different allergies, serving food which is vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free, and free of refined sugar.

I had the chicken skewers for my main, while my friends had the salmon and risotto. We also ordered some quinoa patties, greens and beetroot chips (which were delicious) as sides. The serve sizes were average. For dessert we ordered coconut & beetroot ice (don't be put off by the beetroot, you can't taste it at all - they were delicious!) and also some raw chocolate obsession balls. They do serve a lot of other interesting desserts, such as dairy-free cheesecakes, but they had unfortunately sold out of them by the time we ordered our desserts on a Saturday night.

The place itself is really cool and deceptively large. It seats about 100. There is a front section, which has a rustic, "hole in the wall" feel with open brickwork and hanging lights, and a short ramp leads past the kitchen to the upper level, which has more of a loft feel. There also appeared to be a small outdoor terrace area, though I'm not sure if it is used for dining. The crockery is intentionally mis-matched, giving you the feel of being comfy and at home. There is only one toilet, but it is very clean and nice.

I recently also returned last week for Sunday brunch and you could barely get in the door. People were just packing in and even the waitresses said they had never seen it like that. You could tell they had been a bit caught off guard by it. It meant that our food took almost an hour to come, but fortunately we weren't in a rush. I had gluten-free quinoa and chia toast with avocado and a poached egg, which I enjoyed.

The property has only been open a couple of months, and I have heard some people complain a bit about the prices. I found the prices to be reasonably typical of Perth. From memory, my chicken skewers were low $20s (though the added side was another $10), the desserts were $50 each (though apparently the cheesecakes are $15 - I cannot confirm this). My brunch meal was about $10. I think it depends what you order, and also sometimes using these special non-allergy ingredients does cost a bit more as well.

One downside is that they don't take bookings. While most of the time this is ok, since it is reasonably large, it may prove a problem as they get more popular. And judging by last Sunday's brunch, it is already attracting a fair crowd. I will definitely be returning, as I love the fact that I can order healthy food and interesting, dairy-free desserts. Most of the time I am unable to have dessert when dining out, as they are usually all dairy-based, apart from the odd sorbet. This place makes for a refreshing change for anyone who has special dietary needs (while also catering to those who don't). I already plan to return there next week :)

4  Thank Loquita23