“A bit worn but a good place”

Ranked #14 of 81 Hotels in Perth
Los Angeles, California
“A bit worn but a good place”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

I read some of the reviews on here and was a bit nervous, but am pleased to report that our 2 night stay was pleasant indeed! This hotel is in a bit of an industrial-looking area (next to the convention center), however is well placed for exploring both the CBD and King's Park. 3 covered walkways easily put you in the CBD on St George's Terrace, and the Perth Busport is very close to the hotel, for easy access. King's Park is only about a 15-20 minute walk, although the last bit is a steep hill.

We found the apartment to be perfectly acceptable and clean. Sure, some of the fit and finish is a bit worn, but the beds were comfortable and the linens in good condition. TV was good but we did not opt for the internet access. Furniture was comfortable overall and the washer and dryer were certainly welcome! We opted to walk to a nearby Woolworth's and bought a small laundry detergent and fabric softener supply of our own, to avoid the $4.50 charge from the hotel, especially as we needed more than one load's worth.

There are no views from this hotel, but we found it a good base. The staff were very friendly and helpful, and we received no attitude as others have reported.

In closing, I would agree that Perth hotel prices can be a bit steep, and this was very reasonable value, given other options. I would chime in that I also think charging for wifi is a bit of a 1990s approach to things, but a lot of deluxe resort chains do the same unfortunately. It helps to get a prepaid SIM for your phone or tablet :)

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Ankit P, Assistant Hotel Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear Socal1223

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review of your recent experience with us at Adina Apartment Hotel Perth.

Great to hear you enjoy our convenient location in the Perth CBD and that you appreciate
your feedback and comments are very much appreciated.

I hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Adina Apartment Hotel Perth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2013

I stayed there for a week during a business visit to Perth during the second week of December when there was a heat wave. The building is very centrally located close to a walkway that leads to the town center or the bus station. However, I came by city bus from the airport (a bit slow but only A$5). Since the apartments face away from Mounts Bay Road, it is difficult to find after a long trip and necessitates climbing a car ramp to get there.

The rooms are quite spacious and reasonably good value - I paid about A$160 a night - compared to hotels in Perth. They provide some snacks in the room but they are expensive and you are better off going to Woolworths a few blocks away to do your shopping.

There is a reasonable amount of tools for cooking and eating but it would be difficult to make an elaborate meal but is fine for alight lunch or breakfast. The refrigerator is quite cluttered with drinks etc.

Part of the reason that they are "cheap" (compared the rest of Perth) is that, as far as I could see, the room was only cleaned once a week and was a bit grubby when I go there, but not terrible. One day my dirty towels were not picked up in spite of them being left on the bathroom floor.

The rooms have European style slots for your key to turn on the power. There was a heatwave when I was there (more than 40 C) so the room took a while to cool down after being out for a while. However, the sound insulation was good.

The front desk staff were friendly but a bit amateurish given the international prices that they charge. For example, I had an early flight on my last day so I had been careful to make sure I had booked a taxi for 5:30 am the evening before. They asked if I wanted a wake-up call, which I agreed to. That came about 10 minute early, but when I went down to check out, it transpired that they ad forgotten to book my taxi. Luckily, I realized before it was too late and one arrived in time to get me to the airport. Annoyingly, the bill has several items that they said I had used in the room, while I had been very careful to l make sure that I used none of them.

One of the key-operated elevators did not work well all week and they claimed that was because they had new keys. That is fine, but they should have fixed it a bit quicker.

I had also had a phone call during the week which for some reason did not get through to my room, but they left a message. For some reason, this was also sent to the taxi on the way to the airport. This was bit odd since there would have been nothing I could have done about it at that stage.

The most annoying thing is the price that they charge for internet access (A$25 per day). I have seen on previous posts that they defend this by saying that it is the same at other hotels - sounds like price fixing to me. You would expect for that price that it would be fast. It was not and I clocked it a 1 kB/second at one point. I called tech support several times and they rebooted the modem and said that they were going to send it a technician. It never got much better. I would just avoid it.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the Convention Center side of the building to get free (but slow) internet access.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Eddy T

Thank you for your detailed review of your recent stay with us at Adina Apartment Hotel Perth.

My team and I appreciate the time you have taken to share with us.

I am sure this wealth of valuable information and tips will be a benefit to future travellers looking to stay in Perth.

I hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Bromsgrove, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for The Ashes tour and we're very pleasantly surprised with the accommodation. The staff were very friendly & the rooms were spacious and modern. The only bone of contention was the neighbouring Metro Bad and Bistro which has nothing to do with the apartments. I would thoroughly recommend the apartments to any visitor to Perth

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Phil W, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear Matthew B,

Thank you for the time you have taken to complete this review of your recent stay with at Adina Apartment Hotel Perth.

It has been a pleasure to read that you have enjoyed your experience with us. I am sorry that your experience at Metro Bar & Bistro was disappointing. I have shared your feedback with the owners and management

I wish you a safe and happy festive season and a happy and prosperous new year. I hope you have the opportunity to enjoy an English win in the remainder of the Ashes Tour.

Warm regards and safe travels

Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed two nights over New Years. Room was cosy and spacious with a living room, kitchen and bedroom. We had a nice view of the city. The pool was lovely. Located close to the CBD and the bus station. Service was good but not excellent. Overall a nice hotel and we enjoyed our stay.

Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Hwak89,

It has been a pleasure to read that you have enjoyed your experience with us.

I wish you a safe and happy festive season and a happy and prosperous new year.

Warm regards and safe travels,

Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

If I could give a lower rating than 1 I would. Firstly I turn up to my room and find they have brought someone else's bag in... no sign of mine, I arrive at 4.30 pm , which is 7.30pm in the time zone I left , and am starving .. but no room service available until 6.00. So, I thought I would see what was on TV.... but the TV doesnt work, .... 2 very helpful people come and try and help but to no avail. Finally , it is 6pm ( still no TV) so I order room service... HINT save yourself the trouble ... I ordered a club sandwich and I ended up with this massive , disgusting focaccia thing that went straight outside the door. I have been here before and commented about the food and apparently they dont control the restaurant so you just get what you get. Seriously , only stay here if the whole of Perth is booked out or you just need a bed to crash in.

Room Tip: just dont stay here!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank 383traveller
Phil W, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear 383traveller,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Tripadvisor. I am disappointed to read that your experience with us did not meet your expectations.

My sincerest of apologies for the problems you endured. These issues have been raised with my team and measures put in place to ensure that the TV and luggage problems do not occur in the future.

I appreciate your feedback concerning Metro Bar & Bistro, this is an independently operated business to the hotel. I note that you have shared your experience on the Metro Bar & Bistro listing on Trip Advisor.

Kind regards

Perth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

We had a formal event on at the convention centre (directly opposite) so decided rather than drink drive or pay $100 each way for a taxi, we would stay at the Adina.

Over all the stay was fine, restaurant is nice, room spacious and lovely big balcony overlooking perth city. The stay wasn't perfect however

Pricing Fluctuations:-

I originally booked a basic room for $379, checking the website about 4 weeks later tho the price had been reduced to $219 and then the day before arriving to $179 with free upgrade to higher room type. I must say this vagueness in pricing is not appreciated and was painful to email each time a price changed to get it lowered. I understand a hotel needs to change pricing to sell more rooms, but such a massive change in pricing, and through the hotels own website, seems bazaar. So a tip:- if you book this hotel, check pricing weekly as it fluctuates dramatically.

Hot Water:-

I had no risk of burning myself in our room, there is no hot water for the shower, bath or basin. When lucky I could have the chill taken off cold water but it was never even Luke warm, let alone hot. This would be an issue if staying here for more than one night.

Bed:-

Be warned too, the beds are those horrible zip beds which are essentially two beds zipped together to a make a king. I really don't understand why some cheaper hotels do this, surely it's not hard to designate double and king rooms and have appropriate facilities to suit. These zip beds are so uncomfortable and forget laying in the middle.

All in all though, for the price I paid, it was cheaper than a taxi return trip and we had a very enjoyable evening at the convention centre made very easy by staying at Adina over the road.

Room Tip: Ask for a High floor, less road and pool noise
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Phil W, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Blaqjaq84,

I appreciate for informative comments. In regard to the hot water issue, an electrical problem lead to our hot water pumps stopping on the night of your stay. This was quickly rectified when discovered.

In relation to your bed comments, you’re for feedback will assist in obtaining approval for replacement. A project I hope will commence in the New Year.

Changes in demand and availability do influence our pricing and is impacted by various factors. It is fortunate that you were able to make a saving on this occasion.

Warm regards and safe travels,

Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

Great reception staff, central to everything, walk across driveway to the convention ctr very good for person with conference delegate as they can come and go to everything in central perth. Great if you have a formal function at the convention ctr you do not have to hire taxi's or drink drive. Wonderful for walking to in full evening wear you arrive as you left the hotel unruffled.
Great pool area and bar/cafe area.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Ankit P, Assistant Hotel Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
Dear Bunce-12

Thank you for taking the time to complete this review of your stay with us at Adina Apartment Hotel Perth. My team and I appreciate this feedback.

If there was a particular team member that made your experience more memorable please let me know, either by calling the hotel direct or email apilani@adinahotels.com.au

It has been a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your experience and I hope I have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.