“Great location - OK price for budget accommodation”

Mountway Holiday Apartments
Ranked #55 of 66 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed 23 December 2011

We had limited choices due to our last minute decision to have an extended break in WA (we are from Sydney) after spending most of our time in the Margaret River our last night was to be in Perth, the same time that the International yacht racing was on out of Fremantle. This resulted in a high demand for accommodation and with limited availability the larger more well-known chains were demanding a premium which we could not justify. The MHA was a good alternative for us as we wanted to be close to the city and Kings Park (which it was – walking distance to both) and the price was fair under the circumstances. The rooms were basic yet clean & functional with a great view over the city; bed comfortable and the shower was perfect with plentiful high pressure hot water. Yes, it’s on a freeway yet that did not bother us the noise was not noticeable. The unfavourable comments seem a bit unfair based on my experience. If you are on a beer budget don’t expect to drink champagne.

Room Tip: Geth there early to get off street parking. Rooms basic yet functional with good views and close pr...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michael.in.Sydney

Reviewed 22 December 2011

The apartment's location is fantastic. It's about a 2min walk (uphill) to Kings Park and probably a 15min walk to CBD. We booked a room for 4 pax, however found it a little crampy. The kitchen's a bit small but well equipped to do your cooking. The key word is budget, So don't expect a 5 star apartment. What's good is that it's clean and location wise, it's hard to get anything better for the price paid.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 December 2011

Spent 5 nights in Perth in 3 different hotels in Perth and I must say I liked it here most. The locations great, the rooms are old but clean and big. We are able to cook in a complete kitchen. The bathroom is a littl shabby but no issues. Despite it being near the freeway, I had the best night sleep here. Arrived early around 10 am and the lady checked us in.

Dislikes : no free wifi / Internet, quite pricey and had to pay to keep our luggage at the store room. AUD1.00 per bag.

Apart from that I will stay here if I do come back.

• Stayed: December 2011
John B, General Manager at Mountway Holiday Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2011

Thank you for your balanced and accurate review of Mountway. The wireless internet is available at a variety of charges. The most popular one is $20 for 24 Hours across 30 days, so if you log in-and out you could have 20 hourly sessions at $1.00 per hour. But if you only want 1 hour its $5.00. We think this is reasonable considering the set up cost. The early check-in is available once the service has been done following the departure of the outgoing guest. There is no charge for early arrival after 8am. The $1.00 fee for luggage storage is only charged for outgoing guest luggage storage. As we are apartments and not a hotel we do not think it is appropriate for us to provide portering services, however I wouldn't rule it out in the future, as we are always looking for ways to improve our services. Latest improvements include the Perth Mountway Map and the Mountway Blog which enhances information services to prospective bookers prior to arrival. Thank you again. J & S

Reviewed 1 December 2011

After reading some of the reviews I thought I also should post a comment eventhough my stay at MHA was somewhere mid of June 2010.I was a solo Sri Lankan female traveller & was first time to Aus.I didn`t know any body in Perth,therefore I was panicing for the whole time untill I reached MHA reception desk from the airport!There was a sweet lady who greeted me & gave me a map & some instructions about Perth CBD.I don`t know other people`s experiences at MHA, but mine are good & happy ones.The aprtmnt views are spectacular & specially at night they are breath taking.No cockroaches made any visits & my locks worked fine.Every electrical equipmnt & all bathroom amnities worked fine too.No body bothered me & I enjoyed my vacation as I`ve planned.My main worry was about my safety, though I was fortunate that I stayed safe & sound.The cleaning lady came twice during my stay, though I swept the aprtmnt & put the garbage to the bin near the car park several times.It is always better to keep the place neat & clean then you will feel homy.Therefore MHA was very homy & comfy place that can be recommended to any broad minded traveller.Specially to ladies who has doubts about their saftey.As a suggestion to the mgt if you can make a small lobby where residents will get the chance of meeting & mingling with each other would definetly make MHA a more fun place.So what I can say is please stop nagging about MHA & enjoy the beautifull peacfull Perth!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank THARANGA P
John B, General Manager at Mountway Holiday Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2011

Thank you for your positive remarks. We are all concerned about safety and in any 'public' place or building people need to be on a sensible level of alert for the unexpected. The levels of service are in keeping with the general standard of the accommodation. The AAA Tourism recently confirmed the 2.5 star apartment category rating. We are not the Ritz and we are charging tariffs accordingly. Its nice to hear comments such as yours that indicate to us that you appreciated what was offered. The occasional negative comment does not faze Owners, Management, or staff because we all know there is always going to be someone who didn't get what they 'expected'. Actually a few guests have booked with us after reading the reviews because they wanted to experience Mountway for themselves. When I have absolutely nothing to do and it’s not that often I browse some of the other properties in this forum and I am confident we are on the right track. Thank you again for taking the time to write about your experience at Mountway.

Reviewed 27 November 2011

Was invited to a party in Leederville and not wanting to drive home, we chose to stay at Mountway overnight. The taxi ride there and back was good value due to Mountway's excellent central location. The bed was really comfortable and we had a great nights sleep. The facilities were clean and worked well. Wish we'd taken food to cook a lovely breakfast in the well equipped kitchen. Really really happy with our stay. Would like to book for Australia Day to watch the fireworks and have a lovely place to stay for the day. Thank you to John and staff for helping make our weekend awesome.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments which are appreciated. Over the years we have made a lot of improvements with the approval and support of the Owners of Mountway. We are also fortunate to have very a dedicated team of employees that contribute to the improving standard. We still have 2 river-view apartments available for viewing the fireworks. The best view however is from the freeway bridge. Thats where I go every year to watch. But of course up in your apartment you can watch the preparation going on. Thank you again for taking the time to write about what you thought of Mountway. JB

Reviewed 26 November 2011

My family and I stayed here for slightly more than a week. If I'm back to stay near the CBD in Perth, I would choose Mountway again. A good budget holiday apartment in nice and pleasant surroundings. Beautiful views of the city from the area at the stairs, and early mornings ( maybe its spring) beautiful fragrance from the jasmines. And, not to forget that friendly dark grayish and white cat that is often at the car park.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Being a 'Budget hotel does not excuse the disgraceful state of the room, the pubic hairs across the floor and the attitude of the manager upon questioning the standard of the premises. Cheap = nasty in this place and whilst the manager John [--] tried to accommodate my requests by "moving heaven and hell"he also belittled me for having an opinion, not being a 'happy' person and threatened to kick me out because I 'dare' say something as a paying customer.
Totally unprofessional in his attitude, passive aggression is no way to run a business.
Stay elsewhere, I left immediately.
This place made me feel dirty.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
5  Thank Angela H
John B, General Manager at Mountway Holiday Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2011

Thank you for your comments: Mountway is not a hotel and to say the room (apartment) was disgraceful was a gross exaggeration. It's a fact that this person did not make the booking herself but her boss made the booking and a Twin was the only bookable room as we were filled to capacity excluding the Twin. I was alerted to something being a-miss when the woman tried to tell me the room had 3 Childs beds. Well I had to have a look at that. Two of the three beds were 3'-6" singles so that was the second exaggeration. Then there were the pubic hairs. Madam pointed out to me that she was a professional and that they were definitely pubic hairs. Now I'm no expert but to me hairs are hairs and I wouldn't want any on my floor tiles either. Anyway in order to pacify madam we did take a double bed from the ground floor to the 5th floor, and I dispatched our best room attendant to recover the hairs which turned out to be from the mop. Not very nice but not a federal case either. I have to say when a mature person raves on about pubic hairs for example it’s inclined to put me off (them). That's when I offered to let her go. I agree passive aggression is no way to run a business. And to exaggerate is no way to complain unless you want to be offensive at the same time. I understand that some people exaggerate to get their point across but there is no need for it really. I also understand that truth is stranger than fiction and far less embarrassing. I had a difficult time apologising to madam but we did give her a full refund without hesitation.