“good!”

Ranked #53 of 64 Hotels in Perth
Melbourne, Australia
“good!”
Reviewed 11 June 2010

We used this hotel six years ago and found great value for money then!, Our stay this time, three days, was just the same, helpful staff, clean rooms, [noisy because off the freeway , but no problem with the windows shut] wonderful location , Kings park one way, CBD, the other,fantastic.We have used trip advisor many times now, and it is good to get many reviews and then be able to sort things out for ourselves. Some people expect 6 star accommodation for 2 or 3 star prices. By the way we always walk where possible so usually do not use lifts or transport! At 73 years old, you need to keep fit.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank smutz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Reviewed 26 May 2010

I'm quite suprised how bad others have reviewed this hotel, but being there myself with my 4 friends, I just had to write something to do some justice for this hotel. I am a budget traveller, booked Mountway for its cheap price and also the fact that it can accomodate us all in 1 room, + having our very own kitchen where we can cook all our budget meals. They have all we need in the kitchen - pots, pans, spoons, forks, hot plate, kettle, even rice cooker (upon request). The essentials: beds (maybe not in the best condition but provided us with a comfortable good night sleep), small TV, iron + ironing board, cupboard, towels (for all 5 of us), extra fan, air-cond, and a spacious bathroom. The room was not sparkling clean but it was very acceptable - not once did i feel grossed out by anything. The best part is that it is located in the city center, near Kings Park - we toured the city by foot, walked to Perth train station - very convenient indeed. The staff were also very helpful, provided us with maps of Perth and showed us places of interest. They even helped us book our Pinnacles Tour. We felt welcomed instantly and made our Perth visit stress-free.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
singapore
Reviewed 16 February 2010

Although my stay here was a year ago, the recent reviews have proven that the situation has not changed. Yes everything that's been said is true, and no, i did not expect much for the budget rates. What was the worst was simply the hygiene and bed bug issue. As i could not afford better accommodation, i had no choice but to put up with the issue. Prior to my stay bedbugs only existed in the phrase 'don't let the bedbugs bite'. I have never in my life encountered them prior to my stay.

It was so bad that i sat on the bed staring all around me afraid to move, afraid to sleep. I woke many times at night and caught them crawling around me. Its a real horror. I complained to management but after a simple 'check' where they could not find anything, i was left to suffer. They offered to pay for my medication but that truly wasn't enough to soothe me.

I was stuck there for nearly 3 weeks. I now fear all accommodation may have bedbugs.

And yes the internet is both terrible and expensive.
No i did not get a full refund, only a minor discount on my stay.
and yes craig is nice and helpful.

Management's responses to other reviewers has been very disappointing and unprofessional. Even if anything is being exaggerated, pray tell what do your arguments show other than intolerance and an unwillingness/inability to emphasize?

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank munpop
John-Bergin, General Manger at Mountway Holiday Apartments, responded to this review, 17 February 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a critique on Mountway. You certainly do not have to convince the Management. Having been General Manager of Mountway for over 8 years I can honestly say the following: We receive a lot of positive comments from people that appreciate our budget apartments, and not all comments are posted to Trip Advisor. We are fully booked most of the time but not fully booked way into the future. When people complain on the spot it is very convincing. When they wait 12 months and do it secretly on Trip Advisor after studying other comments it’s not very convincing. You are not alone. Take the person that was with us for 6 weeks and complained on Trip Advisor half-way through their stay, but did not speak to us about their concerns. However we take the bed bug issue seriously, and I understand you have never encountered them before, I will give you some insight. There are 24,000 comments regarding bed bugs on trip advisor, most in 3-5 star establishments. Eighty one of those comments relate to Singapore where we understand you are from. Thirty five bed bug comments relate to Perth. If you check further you will notice they are all over the globe from Scotland to Argentina. I think all travellers should check all accommodation for bedbugs. We don’t bring them in, people bring them in. If it’s true that we offered to pay for your medication, there was empathy so this is not consistent with your comments on unwillingness and intolerance. I do not accept that you were left to suffer. I do not accept many times at night you caught them crawling around you. There are dedicated procedures to follow and we follow them on the rare occasion that a guest should encounter bugs. One of our guests moved to us from a backpackers and it was noticed he had bite marks over his lower legs before he checked in. Regarding a full refund, each case is judged on its merits. No bites, no evidence, no refund, and not after 3 weeks or 12 months. While it is disappointing to receive a complaint on Trip Advisor after 12 months we believe your comments have been addressed professionally.

Travellers are raving about these Perth hotels

Perth
Reviewed 16 February 2010

I stayed here for 7 nights in February 2010. Having read some very bad reviews on Tripadvisor prior to check-in, I was somewhat concerned. However it is very good value for money and would rate the accommodation 3 stars. I have travelled the globe and stayed at many places over the past 10 years and therefore experienced enough to make an honest judgement. The apartment is very clean and contains all what you need. The staff is very friendly and helpful. It surely isn’t the most modern apartment you have ever seen, however it is simply very good value for money. I have not seen any cockroaches or other insects. You can’t expect a 5 star accommodation so convenient located to the CBD for approx AUD 90/night, hence don’t expect it. The people behind the bad reviews simply have not travelled enough to understand what value for money is. They also should think twice before writing such review which could harm the reputation of Mountway Apartments. The accommodation and managers simply do not deserve these comments.

A satisfied customer.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Atyrau, Kazakhstan
Reviewed 15 January 2010

Had a lengthy stay at these apartments and i can say I will never be back again for the following reasons, Cockroaches, Room Service 2 times in 4 weeks, leaky Air-conditioner, Television is so smal that you have to sit on top of it to see anything, Verandah Windows and Sills are very dirty, Design & Furniture is circa 1960's which was a very tragic time for households in the western world, a bit like what fashion did for the 1970s. They have about 60 Apartments here and only parking for about 20 cars so if you miss out you have to park on the street and then you risk getting a fine, so far I have 2 fines. All in all, a great city to visit and the people are brilliant however avoid this Apartment Complex.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank tsdir
John-Bergin, General Manager at Mountway Holiday Apartments, responded to this review, 24 January 2010
It is a tough call to thank you for your comments or even apologise when over the six weeks you were with us you did not mention any of your concerns to us. For a start surely you would not put up with it for six weeks if it was that bad? Surely you would say something? After our discovery of your comments on Trip Advisor we checked our housekeeping records and found its true you had a ‘service’ once every two weeks. Generally Holiday Apartments do not include servicing of apartments. The last time you were offered a service but declined was Thursday 21 January. You added that you would be leaving us on the following Tuesday. The leaky air-conditioner sounds terrible but the drainage pipe was reconnected by our technicians. Following that minor repair, it became un-necessary for you to throw the collected water out the window at the people below (who were the first to report the isolated problem). The 1960’s were not a tragic time for households in the West and in 1970 the fashions were just that, 1970’s. The relevance escapes us. Sitting closer to the TV, rather than on top of it however makes a lot of sense. Free parking works well at Mountway however if you return late in the evening it is free to park on the street until morning. Then you can bring your car in when guests depart, go to work or out on excursions. What is tragic about this situation is the person accepted a rate of $71.00 per-night (weekly for six weeks) and then for reasons known only to themselves posted misleading information halfway through their stay. There ought to be law against making statements of complaint when easily accessible avenues for remedy are ignored. Communicating with reception or management early in the stay would seem logical.
mount gambier sa
Reviewed 16 December 2009

Me and my partner stayed here in november 09 and were very happy, craig went out of his way to make us comfortable, when we stayed it was fully booked yet they helped us and other couples with extra nights and any problems.There were NO cockroaches or Spiders place was clean but very budget, we were within walking distance to perth city, train station and main bus stop. When we stayed it was incrediably hot in perth and the room had air con which was great. Yes the hotel is right next to a freeway but considering me and my partner are light sleepers this did not bother us at all.
For the price we paid it was very basic but we were able to sleep in clean sheets use a clean bath, clean utensils and cooking items. I would recomend for family or couple on a tight holiday budget!!!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Victoria
Reviewed 9 December 2009

Building needs demolishing, beyond overhaul!
I'll let my photos do the talking, sadly what you won't get is the disgusting smell of the place - so close to the freeway you can't open the windows because of the noise.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank Irishheart8
John-Bergin, General Manager at Mountway Holiday Apartments, responded to this review, 11 December 2009
Thank you for taking the time to post some comments on trip advisor. We have identified the apartment where you took those photographs and we have attended to those shortcomings. We appreciate all comments that can constructively contribute to our quality control. The owners and managers do not agree with you that the building needs demolishing. Our latest overhaul included fresh paint in all the apartments and reverse cycle air-conditioning. The barbecue area is still looking new. Our location adjacent to the Swan River nestled between Kings Park and the City is highly regarded. We do think most of your comments are exaggerated, but on the other hand the stains on the kitchen cupboard shelf are disgusting and if I was forced to look at it all day I wouldn’t like it much. To say the whole place smells disgusting is really stretching it. If it were true we would not be 90% filled to capacity most of the time. PS: We cannot compete with your other holiday (post) comment at $280 a night. We charge about ¼ of that and it’s appreciated by the budget traveller.