“You get what you pay for .....”
Review of Alderney on Hay

Alderney on Hay
Ranked #52 of 65 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed 5 May 2013

I feel some of the reviews on here are a little harsh, but saying that I also agree with some of the negative comments as well. For the price you get what you pay for, we had a two bed apartment on the second floor .... for the price the room was clean and tidy, yeah I agree the lounge could do with an upgrade, but on the whole this room was satisfactory and we thought adequate for the price paid. As for the staff, they were helpful but there was a definite lack of enthusiasm for their job ... being a bit more cheerful would go a long way for customer relations. The apartments are a good 10 minute walk from the CBD but we thought it helped as the area was quiet during the non peak times. One added bonus is the CAT buses virtually at the doorstep for transport to the CBD and beyond if you are a tourist wanting to see some of the sights of Perth. Be aware of the security deposit of $250 and the need to make sure you have it returned to your account. One complaint we would have is the supervision of the swimming pool hours, there were screaming children in the pool (a floor or two below) from 6.30am - where are the parents?

Room Tip: I would tend to ask for a south facing room to decrease traffic noise and go for a higher floor to g...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Roshan G, Manager at Alderney on Hay, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Dear Bob,
Thank you for your feed back. Your comments are very important to us as we feel that you have as a cutomer the best comments we can use and improve on what we are doing.
We have taken the following steps to improve the property-
1) Staff training been carried out and more hospitality industry staff with experience employed in the front office now to improve customer service.

2) With regards to the security bond we have investiagted this and found that although we only take a pre authorisation, (not a charge where the money sits in our account) The bank hold the funds and will not return immediately. No hotels have control on this. The most hotels can do is to fax the bank requesting the release, In this instance the bank will only hold the funds for 3 -4 days.

There are newer reviews for Alderney on Hay

Reviewed 20 April 2013 via mobile

Party of 6 stayed at the Alderney on Hay because it is value for money and location. Check in was not friendly at all. I explained that we needed a second bay and had discussed when booking and was assured it is available for $15.00 a night. When I asked the man at check he said not always available and had to park vehicle on the street until all guest had checked in. He said he would advise us and we never heard from him again. Entered unit and it smelt horrible we opened windows and sliding door to air thinking that it was due to being closed up all the time. Slept well and on awaking the foul smell was worse. I decided to check air conditioners as we had them running and it smelt like dirty air filters. Upon opening the split system the filters were clean removed filters to find a horrifying thick build up of mould all over the air conditioner. As we left fir the afternoon I showed photos to reception and asked for the unit to be cleaned he was shocked and said he would call maintenance right now. Upon our return late that night the room smelt fresh and I was relieved thinking they had cleaned the unit. I checked and it was still filthy they obviously just sprayed freshner. Upon check out I again explained the problem and was told he would inform Management of my disappointment and have the unit cleaned. Lets hope for the next person it actually gets done!! The lounge chairs were also dirty and stained. My fresh new pillow slip had blood stains. The cleanliness of the apartments is lacking greatly.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank vessie73
Roshan G, Manager at Alderney on Hay, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Dear Vessie,

Thank you for your feed back.

After speaking to the staff I do understand you had a check in where you couldn’t get the 2nd car park bay. As per confirmation we only guarantee 1 car park bay per apartment complimentary. Extra car bays are subject to availability as we cannot lease out another guests car bay without confirming with him on arrival if they will have a vehicle or not.

We have no record of you reporting anything during your stay. The staff in reception advised me that they only found out about the issue you have is during check out and a email sent on the 22nd April 2013,

Upon investigation of your complaint we have gone through the air conditioning units and not found any of the mould inside any air conditioning units throughout our property, the discoloration on the air conditioning units is through standard wear and tear we have not had any other comments regarding this prior nor after your stay with us. Attached is a picture that we took of the air conditioner in the apartment.

The blood part is a new part and was not in the email you sent on the 22nd April to the property.

I do not understand how a fresh new pillow slip you brought can have blood stains from the apartment. I am sure if there was blood in the apartment it would have been dry on the bed rather than wet as you checked in at 6.05pm and the apartment was cleaned at 1pm.

Regards

Alderney on Hay

Reviewed 16 April 2013

Stayed there a few times, its good value for money. A bit dated and the staff are rude and very unhelpfull. Some are very difficult to understand on the phone.
Biggest issue is the wheel clamping, I had mine displayed on the car seat and they still put a wheel clamp on and I had to pay the $140. The hotel told me they cannot help me and also did not want to help me verify a letter I send to the wheel clamping company.
It s a little money making sheme from western parking and the staff at Alderney.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank worlddee

Dear Guest,
The Management at Alderney On Hay provide free under cover security parking to its clientele where most other properties in Perth CBD charges for it. (between $15 - 25 per day) The car park is monitored by the Department of Transport and Perth City Council (Perth Parking Act where they not only monitor also charges the property in excess of $65000 per year). If outsiders park in the property the property faces a penalty. This is why the wheel clamping has been in place. The staff and short stay management of the property has no affliation or dealings with the wheel clamping company contracted by the strata company. This is why our staff walks through the car park to identify the cars that has no permits and advices the clientele before they get clamped or picked up by the Department of Transport inspector and questions us on why the car is parked with no voucher.

If all guests follows the terms and conditions of the property as you sign during check in and park one car in the car park and display the car parking permit the clamping will not happen. The signage is all through the car park to display the car parking permit, also sent to clients with there booking confirmation, adviced during check in and also form is signed by the clients on check in as they will display the permit. Therefore the managemnt and staff of Alderney On Hay feels that they have gone all the way to protect the clients and its the responsibility of the clients to ensure they do follow the terms and conditions of the property.

Reviewed 3 April 2013

Alderney on Hay is a little out of the CBD (about 15 min walk) and provides economical accommodation for groups (up to six).
Many reviews were quite scathing of the apartments, but other than a bathroom in need of serious ventilation, there was nothing wrong with the apartment. The kitchen was properly equipped and working (although the oven did smell of burning when we turned it on) and the washing machine/dryer came in very useful.
The only downside to the stay was the possibility of hefty "hidden charges". Firstly the security deposit was $250 (not $150 as our booking details specified) - this is more than one night's accommodation!
There were also hefty fees for noise complaints ($250) and not removing all the rubbish from the room prior to exit. I would not recommend this hotel for a group looking to have a good time, as you may find the hotel is not as economical as you first thought.
The cafe downstairs is good, and two cafes across the road were open during the Easter long weekend (when most other things were closed).

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 March 2013

on staying at this hotel we were not greated at all it was a planned break to see my daughter who i had,nt seen for two years got this hotel off wot if sounded good we asked about my daughters hire car and didnt mind paying the $15 nightly for parking rudely told put it on the street until everyone checks in well we waited until midnight and noticed that the car park was half empty so phoned and was told no anyway the room was just okey the lounge was dirty and black marks awefull asked if i could have thew main bedroom window opened told we will have to ask someone that was never done left my mobile phonr behind called & was told yes its here they said unable to post because of battery so a week later travelled to get it got it home and they had removed my battery i thinking phone broken purchased another what rotten staff

Room Tip: be careful if you have children as rooms with single beds straight off balcony with no locks so lit...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank may S

Dear May,
Thank you for your inquiry. I have investigated your claims and found the following.
1) Australia Post where we send lost property will not accept any items with battery due to safety issues. The property tried to send your phone and was declined by Australia Post.

2) You were adviced when making a reservation and in all travel websites that only 1 car park per apartment will be allocated. The staff are unable to issue you with the second bay until they have another client check in that doesnt require a car bay. Then only the staff can issue you with a car park permit. Issuing the 2nd permit without confirming this will lead to having less car park bays at the end of the evening and inconveniencing another client who has been promised 1 car park bay. The car park is empty during the day as most of our clients are corporates and they do drive the vehicles to work.

3) Bedroom windows are closed for security reasons. You will find this as standard in most high rise buildings.

I sincereley appologise for any inconvenience above may have caused for you as we followed the procedures as set out so our valued clients are not inconvenienced and in one instance it was beyond our control due to safety issues set out by the third party we have to rely on.

Reviewed 16 March 2013

My husband and I and another couple chose this hotel mainly on price and good location. As we arrived around midnight we didn't see the need to splash out on an expensive place and Perth accommodation isn't cheap and we needed an apartment rather than a hotel room. It was a 2 bedroom apartment with everything you needed but wasn't anything flash, substantial and ok is my view and we had paid the extra $10 for deluxe instead of standard so I imagine the 'standard' would have been very mediocre if our 'deluxe' was just ok. As the bedding configuration was a double and 2 singles we also had to pay $20 extra per night to have it made into a king size bed, why it was per night I will never understand as they only had to remake the bed the initial time as they don't offer daily housekeeping so I think a once of $20 fee would have been more appropriate. Was clean enough except for the toilet which had an odour so I dare say it is a rushed quick clean between guests. Good location with mini marts and restaurants close by and breakfast at 'infinity' one street over was awesome. Probably wouldn't stay there again unless it was a whole lot cheaper than everything else.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 March 2013

Only booked for a night as It was the cheapest place to where I needed to go the next day. Had stayed before a few years back so do remember what it was like. Was a bit annoyed when I got there late as booking agent had given me the wrong number for the car park boom gate. Luckily I'd noted the after hours phone number! Check in was easy. Apartment was roomy. Had everything i needed for the night and everything was clean enough and comfy.Really is ok for the price and a good place to base yourself for a few nights if staying in the city.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business