“Dirty and smelly”
Review of Alderney on Hay

Alderney on Hay
Ranked #53 of 65 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Booked this hotel for two nights on wotif.com and what a disappointment! A two bedroom apartment. Soon as we walked in all we could smell was mould and stench of something awful. The carpets were filthy as was the lounge, which we were not game enough to sit on at all. The mould was all over the ceiling. The bedspreads had obviously not been washed in months, needless to say were taken off and put in the corner. Will never stay there again and definitely would NOT recommend to anyone!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank tcarr1Kalgoorlie
Roshan G, Manager at Alderney on Hay, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

Dear Mr. / Mrs. Carr,
The Management of Alderney On Hay would like to thank you for your feedback. I have spoken to our house keeping and maintenance supervisors and done some apartment inspections and found the following.
1) Carpets and bed linen were clean.
2) Exhaust fans on the roof were not working well and this was causing a issue with mold in the shower ceiling on lower floor apartments only (slight) This is now been fixed.

If these were bought to our attention during your stay we could have moved you to a higher floor apartment.
Once again I must thank you for bringing the exhaust fan issue to our attention.

There are newer reviews for Alderney on Hay

Reviewed 4 August 2013

We tend to stay here with our family of five because of its convenience. It offers a good central location, amenities to accommodate our family, a heated pool, which my kids always have to swim in. With the cost of accommodation in Perth this provides us with a cheaper alternative. Yes we hate the fact we have to take out our own garbage but figure we are getting what we pay for. We are usually in the hotel room only to sleep and eat breakfast so we don't mind, and we haven't had smelly toilets or the like of which others have stated.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank hewieandco
Reviewed 16 July 2013

We stayed on level 2 apartment 12 and although it was cheap, you can see why. The toilet had a terrible odour like stale urine which would nearly make you vomit every time you went to the loo. The "king bed" was two single mattresses put together so it was very very uncomfortable if you ended up sleeping in the middle of the bed through some part of the night. We didn't have any troubles with the parking luckily, just had to pay $15/night for the extra car. I think they might've even had an employee patrolling the car park to make sure that everyone has their parking permit up as the hotel also gets a fine if someone is found not displaying their permit?
There was tea and coffee making facilities but there wasn't any salt and pepper which if you're coming to Perth for a holiday, you don't want to really buy a whole thing of salt and pepper.
One morning we were woken up by children running around and screaming in the pool area, not an ideal wake up call.
Restaurant downstairs was okay. Don’t get the eggs hollandaise, the sauce is more like an off mayonnaise. Everything else that we ate there was alright though.
Unless I was very desperate, I will not be staying here again.

Room Tip: I would think that a room that is higher up won't have the troubles of the noises from the pool...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Chloe W

Dear Chloe,
Thank you for your feed back. Your feed back is very important to us to improve the standard of the property. I am pleased to say that we have spoken to all staff and carried out training sessions on how to clean the toilets properly. In the future if you do have issues as such please feel free to advice reception as they could acted on this to make sure your stay was pleasant.
With regards to King bed we use the Dunlop Beds which are made in Australia - same as whats used in most other major hotels. These are 4 star rated. The beds used are the same as most other hotels use - Split Kings where it gives the hotelier the option of making in to a king bed or two single beds. Most hotel websites room configurations will show as split king or split queen beds which is the same as what we use.
The Management at Alderney On Hay provide free under cover security parking to its clientele where most other properties in Perth CBD charges for it. (between $15 - 25 per day) The car park is monitored by the Department of Transport and Perth City Council (Perth Parking Act where they not only monitor also charges the property in excess of $65000 per year). If outsiders park in the property the property faces a penalty. This is why the wheel clamping has been in place. Our staff walks through the car park to identify the cars that has no permits and advices the car owner (if he/she has registered the car with reception) before they get clamped or picked up by the Department of Transport inspector and questions us on why the car is parked with no voucher.

Reviewed 19 June 2013

After booking over the net I didn’t receive a receipt of booking which made me feel a bit worried about falling for a scam, you then receive annoying amounts of emails almost daily from the website you book through. My first encounter with the staff was no eye contact and an almost automated feel about the whole building.

The air cond/heater didn't work and I had to have 5 contacts with the front counter before it was fixed, all the while telling me it was my problem. So may rules and threats to charge for anything small such as not emptying the bin. They take a $250 swipe on the card, broke one wine glass, will be interesting to see how much I get charged.
Room looked clean but I sensed it wasn’t really as it smelled unpleasantly. Elevator stank of alcohol and vomit. Take your own mug unless you enjoy dinking out of a cup like it’s from a childs toy tea set.

But the worst thing was having my wheel clamped and that's after having my car registered with hotel and accessing a security gate which requires a pin number to enter - pretty obvious I'm staying there you'd think. The big green A5 paper which needs to be displayed on dash I removed as it presents a hazard, it reflects on windscreen when driving, forgot to put it there - yes a $150 fine which you have to pay before your wheel is unlocked. I even got there just after it was locked and the fella saw my permit but wouldn't listen at all. I consoled a young mother who was in tears who also fell victim to this. Hotel claim to have no association with the parking system, what?

I would advise you to keep clear of this hotel as it does its best to drive people away from Perth.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Damian K

Dear Damian,
Thank you for your feed back. I have looked in to your comments and found the following facts.
1) The Management at Alderney On Hay provide free under cover security parking to its clientele where most other properties in Perth CBD charges for it. (between $15 - 25 per day) The car park is monitored by the Department of Transport and Perth City Council (Perth Parking Act where they not only monitor also charges the property in excess of $65000 per year). If outsiders park in the property the property faces a penalty. This is why the wheel clamping has been in place. Our staff walks through the car park to identify the cars that has no permits and advices the clientele before they get clamped or picked up by the Department of Transport inspector and questions us on why the car is parked with no voucher. 2) I can assure you that the Short Stay operation has no dealings with the wheel clamping company as this is organised by the strata company due to guests bringing more than one car and parking the 2nd car with no permits which in turn is affecting other guests who require a single car park space. (some reviews will prove this point that we do call clients who has registered the car and advice them that they forgot to display the car park voucher)

$250 check in deposit is a pre authorisation only. It is not a charge and the bank holds the money and it never comes in to our account. This is a standard practice with most hotel.

I have no record of air conditioner not working reported. We only had 2 incidents recored on our maintenance record for air conditioners not working during the last 4 months and both due to clients setting the remotes in to a timer and find the ac is cut off after a few minutes. No air conditioner techinicians has repaired any air conditioners now in the property for the last 6 months.

Once again I am sorry to hear that you were clamped. All our guests are receives a property conditions form which clearly indicates the car park voucher must be displayed at all times while parked at the Alderney On Hay car park, we also have large signs all through the car park, signs near the entrance of the car park, signs near the car park entry door to the building, staff also advices you during check in and gives you a form to sign as you beed adviced with property terms and conditions page again (same as whats went after making the reservations)
Therefore I hope you understand that we have taken all the effort to ensure that you understand on having only one car parked in the car park and to display the voucher provided to avoid clamping.

Reviewed 3 June 2013

We stay here whenever we come to Perth and have always found it good value for money. We have never had to worry about any of the fees and charges that some previous people have complained about. If you abide by the rules you won't have any trouble. Yes the front counter could give you a bit more of a smile but if you want five star service go to a five star hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank CWM1973

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. I am glad you do understand why policies and procedures are set in a property. They are to protect the clientele like your self who stay in a property to enjoy and have a good time with out inconveniencing other clients.

We have identified the issues we have in reception and has trained staff in better customer service and also has brought in new staff who are hotel school graduates with experience to improve on our customer service.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

Never again will I stay here. While the apartment was generally clean and satisfactory, the parking regulations were something else. I was told that the blue parking permit needed to be displayed on the car dashboard at all times; however, when you're driving around the city it's the last thing you want on the dash as it reflects onto the windscreen and is distracting. I returned from a wedding at 11.30 p.m. and forgot to display the wretched permit. I then received a (presumably automated) text message at 1.19 a.m. from the Alderney saying I must display the permit at all times... Rather than risk a $140 fine and a wheel clamping, I donned my dressing gown and traipsed down to the car to put the sticker in place at that ungodly hour, risking possible assault in the car park although that would have been unlikely, given my feelings of fury at that point – any assailant would have come off far worse… I've stayed in many hotels but have never before experienced such a strange arrangement. I complained to hotel staff the next day but was told the car park is not owned by the hotel and, due to privacy laws, the security guards patrolling the parking area are not allowed to have hotel guests' details so they don’t know who is a bona fide guest. Having said that, they must be able to access the hotel’s operations to the extent the text message was sent to me at 1.19 a.m. Surely a better system could be implemented. These cheaper hotels always have a surfeit of rules and regulations - including a $250 bond - that you just don't encounter in more upmarket venues. It’s like they are continually expecting the worst. Another problem is the security codes required for accessing the car park, and then the hotel’s back door if returning later in the evening – several numbers and an asterisk here or a hash there. So tedious. You'd think you were trying to get into Fort Knox - but you're not. You're entering a very ordinary establishment. In the hotels I have previously stayed in the prevailing attitude is that guests’ comfort is paramount and staff are motivated to ensure guests have a pleasant stay. Receiving a text message at 1.19 a.m. about the importance of displaying a blue car parking permit is not considering guests’ comfort, nor their right to a good night’s sleep. It’s the stuff of nightmares.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Alison B
Roshan G, Manager at Alderney on Hay, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2013

Dear Alison,
The Management at Alderney On Hay provide free under cover security parking to its clientele where most other properties in Perth CBD charges for it. The car park is monitored by the Department of Transport and Perth City Council (Perth Parking Act where they not only monitor also charges the property in excess of $65000 per year). If outsiders park in the property the property faces a penalty. This is why the wheel clamping has been in place. Some properties will tow the vehicles away if no voucher is not displayed. As the parking is limited to 1 car park bay per apartment it is important the guest only park 1 car in the car park. Sometimes the guests parks the 2nd car with out voucher taking someone elses car bay. In your instance the staff texted you as a favour to avoid getting clamped. I appologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Reviewed 5 May 2013

I feel some of the reviews on here are a little harsh, but saying that I also agree with some of the negative comments as well. For the price you get what you pay for, we had a two bed apartment on the second floor .... for the price the room was clean and tidy, yeah I agree the lounge could do with an upgrade, but on the whole this room was satisfactory and we thought adequate for the price paid. As for the staff, they were helpful but there was a definite lack of enthusiasm for their job ... being a bit more cheerful would go a long way for customer relations. The apartments are a good 10 minute walk from the CBD but we thought it helped as the area was quiet during the non peak times. One added bonus is the CAT buses virtually at the doorstep for transport to the CBD and beyond if you are a tourist wanting to see some of the sights of Perth. Be aware of the security deposit of $250 and the need to make sure you have it returned to your account. One complaint we would have is the supervision of the swimming pool hours, there were screaming children in the pool (a floor or two below) from 6.30am - where are the parents?

Room Tip: I would tend to ask for a south facing room to decrease traffic noise and go for a higher floor to g...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Dear Bob,
Thank you for your feed back. Your comments are very important to us as we feel that you have as a cutomer the best comments we can use and improve on what we are doing.
We have taken the following steps to improve the property-
1) Staff training been carried out and more hospitality industry staff with experience employed in the front office now to improve customer service.

2) With regards to the security bond we have investiagted this and found that although we only take a pre authorisation, (not a charge where the money sits in our account) The bank hold the funds and will not return immediately. No hotels have control on this. The most hotels can do is to fax the bank requesting the release, In this instance the bank will only hold the funds for 3 -4 days.