“Happy to take your money for no service.”
Review of Alderney on Hay

Alderney on Hay
Ranked #52 of 64 Hotels in Perth
Darwin, Australia
“Happy to take your money for no service.”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Had to deal with these people. DIdn't end up staying there.
They took our payment through wotif, but then were inflexible about a date change.

Stuck to policy - took our money. Didn't even have to change a sheet.

Thanks for nothing.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Dave N
Roshan G, Manager at Alderney on Hay, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. As you have booked your accommodation through a 3rd party website, we have no control over their terms and condition. We are unable to assist you with the cancellation policies as this depends on the package sold and the policies of the travel agent regarding refunds. Also to mention that we only had 2 Wotif last minute cancellations and none of them had your name (Dave).

You must understand each package has different cancellation policies. Sellers advertise no cancellation policy for different products that they sell at a very low price so they can have guaranteed sales well ahead. They do specify the cancellation and amendment policies. If you decide to take advantage of this sort of offers and later not follow on what you agreed to and cancel you must understand that the seller may not refund you and will stick to the cancellation policy which you agreed to when you purchased the product or service (you cannot blame the seller for your actions as on a site like Wotif you are the person who is in full control of the booking and it’s you who decide by looking at the deal and the terms and condition including the amendment / cancellation policy and to go ahead and book or not to book the accommodation).

Therefore unfortunately the hotel has no control of your actions or the 3rd party website policies and neither us or Wotif has any responsibility, as it was you who took advantage of a special offer agreeing to the terms and conditions of the website. The same applies with hotel, travel agent, airline and other retailer sites. You have the option to agree to the terms and conditions of the site or not to agree. If you booked with Wotif you have agreed to the terms and conditions of the booking.
Also to mention if you cancel the booking on the same day as arrival I am sure no agent, airline or hotel will refund you as they lose revenue due to your actions.

Therefore I do not believe it’s fair to blame a hotel or travel agent for your action.

Alderney On Hay

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Indonesian first
Beechboro, Australia
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I booked my sister in law and stayed with them for 3 days at the Alderney On hay. We couldn't fault anything as we received a happy friendly receptionist who checked us in and then we enjoyed the facilities offered in the apartment which was clean and very comfortable. Kids loves the pool are and there was plenty of parking available.

Room Tip: Deluxe Rooms are the better option to book here.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Roshan G, Manager at Alderney on Hay, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Valued Client,
Thank you for your feedback.
Dunsborough, Australia
Reviewed 27 December 2013

we stayed in a platinum apartment for 5 people. it was very spacious and quiet, very clean, very comfy bed. Free cat bus service near by and Close to everything and public transport. Service was excellent.

Room Tip: Room 10 no noise. supermarket, kids park and bottleshop less than 100m away.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jeneralee77
Roshan G, Manager at Alderney on Hay, responded to this review, 1 January 2014
Dear Jenni,

Thank you for your feedback, we endeavour to constantly improve the property to make your stays more pleasant and memorable in the future. As you can see, the property's décor and facilities have improved significantly since its opening and we have further improvements to make including the pool area refurbishments planned for March 2014.

Kind Regards,

Alderney on Hay
Gold Coast
Reviewed 20 December 2013

I was trying to lock in a Corporate Rate - spoke to 3 different Indian people - not one of them noted our conversations and the rates that were quoted. They finally emailed me thru a Corporate Rate form to fill out, which I sent back within an hour! 2 days later when I called to find out my Corporate Rate contract, they informed me that the Server was down and didn't receive my form. I sent it again. 3 days later, no reply again. I called again to be told that now there was no room available for the dates I required and "by the way, your rate is way higher than you seem to think". I did explain that I had spoken to 3 people already and quoted a particular rate and they simply told me that I was wrong. I spoke to the girl at the actual hotel who also confirmed the rate - this was also wrong apparently. After 9 phone calls to them, the last one I finally left a message and when the girl called me, I complained that no-one calls back or follows up. She simply said, "well I just called you"!!! Wow, such disgusting service. I stay in Perth for at least 2 weeks every month of the year. That's 168 nights of revenue that they will not be getting off me!!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank SuzyHGoldCoast
Roshan G, Manager at Alderney on Hay, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I have looked into your comments and I apologise for the inconvenience on the first occasion when you may have submitted the corporate application due to internet issues beyond our control. This has since been rectified.

I have spoken to the two relevant Sri Lankan staff members whom you spoke to as well as the Australian receptionist who served you in regards to this. You inquired about our standard rate from the receptionist after viewing the Wotif website and she advised you the rates. You then wanted to get a corporate application done and asked the reservations to book during the Ashes and Bon Jovi Concert, which we had already sold out our corporate allotments and you were advised from the start that the corporate rates would not be applicable to period which you wished to book and full rates would apply.

You decided to argue about this and expected the reservations staff to reduce the rates saying the property was overpriced. The property was clearly not overpriced as we managed to sell 75% of the property at our full rate (with 25% booked to regular corporates and guests). Unfortunately as a new corporate who is booking for the first time you are not entitled to the same benefits as our regulars.

I do understand your frustration in not finding cheap accommodation during this period or your regular accommodation supplier not being able to cater to your accommodation requirements/budget. You must understand that these are the busiest dates in Perth and we are not able to discount rates for new clients during this period.

Many hotels sold rooms as high as $750 per night for only two people. The Alderney on Hay rate was less than 50% of this rate and could cater for 6 people, included a kitchen, washing machine and dryer, this appealed to the many clientele who almost had the property booked out well ahead of arrival date.

Travellers are raving about these Perth hotels

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 8 December 2013

First time I've had to pay a $250 bond to stay in a hotel/motel but had I read the fine print, I would've known this (Grr Who reads them anyway). And too bad if you've booked a room and turn up with no money. No bond = no room, simple.

The Toilet stunk like pee that even My kids (boys) complained about it too.

Beware, you will be charged $12 if you don't do the dishes before you checkout which is rediculous.

The couch was stained and looks old and scungy.

The pool was nice, my kids loved it BUT they don't offer pool towels?? What's up with that?

I will never stay here again. Worst experience ever.

• Stayed December 2013
4 Thank Valentyne55
Roshan G, Manager at Alderney on Hay, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments. I have looked in to the apartment you stayed and find there is no smell in the bathroom. Also nothing was reported as such during your stay.

I agree we do provide the terms and conditions of the property when you make the reservation and also during check in and you must sign this on check in agreeing to be able to be accommodated so its clear to you as a client what the rate includes and whats not included in the rate. We do provide good value accommodation at a very reasonable price. I must mention that our room rates are a lot lower than other properties with similar facilities. For $165 - 195 per night for a large 2 bedroom apartment that sleeps up to 6 persons is of a good value specialy when its in Perth CBD. To keep our cost structure low we ask all our clients to make sure the apartments are kept in a tidy manner when they check out. (we do not expect them to clean the apartment but not to leave large amount of pots, pans, cutlery and plates for us to wash and large sums of rubbish to empty. In this instance in your apartment it took our staff approx. 30 minutes extra to clean the mess left in the kitchen and was charged a fee of $12.50 on Sunday to cover the excess rates. I feel this is very reasonable as most properties would have charged a lot more on a Sunday rate for house keeping staff. I have also checked with two other major apartment complexes in Perth who charges between $50 - 75 for a dissaray clean. This is done so we can keep our room rates low. If we absorb this extra labour cost and more people leaves a mess we have to increase our rates to all guests which in return we feel is not fair for our regular guests who is doing the right thing.

You were also adviced on this on check out and was given the optortunity to go back to the apartment if you wish to tidy up and was declined and said I rather pay to get this done.

London
Reviewed 7 December 2013

Hay Street is a massive street in Perth, almost running the entire length of the CBD. These apartments are at the eastern end of the street, and I guess what initially surprised us was that it is in backpacker central. There are apartments up and down this part of the strip, Irish bar-type hangouts, kebab shops, cheap and cheerful pizzerias. When we were there, lots of people walking up and down the street with slabs of beer for the night's festivities, people playing music on speaker from their phones. It's a good vibe, but I'm just flagging it up in case people are not wanting to be amongst that experience.

There's a free CAT shuttle bus (Red) which runs you almost from the apartments into the city centre (Hay St mall, Murray St Mall) and if you stay on long enough, brings you back around. Cabs wouldn't be much if you got them, but it's all pretty walkable and we used the shuttle. About 25 minutes walk to Barrack Street Jetty precinct so if with kiddies or oldies, maybe cab that one.

The apartments themselves - they are spacious (we had a 2br one), with the standard plastic laminate decor. But who cares about these things when you travel, right? There's a microwave, and oven, electric hob. The one thing to flag up here is that your place gets serviced at the start, and that's it. No doubt if you stayed a week they would come in but we stayed three nights and got no additional servicing. That's ok for towels etc but it does mean that once your initial allocation of tea bags, sugar, coffee, milk, bog roll (one) run out, you're on your own. Local supermarket hasn't twigged to this (or maybe they have) so everything is sold in full size.

Hint: if staying just a few days, bring your own little amenities. Otherwise you find yourself turning to a life of petty crime and taking extra bog roll sheets from cafe's etc, to see you through until you leave!

Another hint: maybe bring some breakfast provisions because despite the hype you read about Perth these days, it's still a sleepy town and is slow to get going in the mornings. Some breakfast joints don't get going until 8am, sometimes 9 or 9.30 in the immeidate vicinity of the apartments. And if you are from OS and jetlag is getting you up at 4am, you'll be needing food sooner than those times. (ps. no Maccas in close walking distance, as a 24 hour option. Unless you head down Hay St to the mall. 20 mins).
There's a laundry in the apartment too, so that's very handy for those longer stays.

Customer service - look, it's ok. When I asked for them to make a cab booking, I got one. They lock the doors at 7pm each night so you have to PIN your way through the car park and they live hard by that rule. We got back around 7.30pm and the guy was still working at front desk, clearly saw us, but wouldn't open the door. And we had a baby with us, and a visually impaired person. No deal. They make EVERYONE walk around the back to the car park if it's after 7pm. So it's good they have a strict rule but on the customer front, I'm sure I would have appreciated the exception being made to let my infant and blind family members in.

Other than that, it's a good place. But just know that if you are looking for more on the customer service front etc, there are many other options in this same area: Mont Clare, Mantra, Comfort Inn etc. You might pay more for these so it's all about your priorities.

The only other thing I would point out is that you sign a behaviour policy etc when you check in, so obviously that's been an issue in the past. It's fine to live by, but note that they put you on the hook for emptying your own rubbish at check out, in the bins in the car park.

And they freeze $250 from your account for any incidentals/breakages which may occur during your stay.

Would I stay here again? Probably not. Nothing terribly wrong with it, but now having seen there are so many other choices, I'd probably shop around. Area is great to stay in though, if you are happy to hang with the youngsters.

Room Tip: Ask for a room behind the elevator shaft. It separates you from all other rooms so you have no neigh...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Cheemar
Roshan G, Manager at Alderney on Hay, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feed back.

Security bond requirement is necessary and is requested by hotels in Australia. This is a standard practice to protect the hotel against property damage and losses and other guests been disturbed by unruly guests. This way the losses to the property is charged to the person responsible rather than all guests having to pay with rate increases. In most hotels the security bond is in excess of $300. With my travel experience so far I have not checked in to any apartments or hotels both in Australia and overseas where they didnt ask for a credit card pre authorisation or a security bond. This is the same what we ask from all guests during check in - a pre authorisation (not a charge where we hold money in our account) or a cash bond if they dont have a credit card which is re - imbursed on check out after the room inspection is done by House Keeping Manager.

Most major hotels in Perth are located around the Alderney On Hay. These include the Hyatt, Pan Pacific, Comfort, Mantra(less than 1 minute walk from the Alderney on Hay), Novotel. Yes there is a shopping area with a florist, kebab shop and pizza shop. These shops are near most hotels in Perth and offers the clients a budget dining option. There are also nice up market restaurants within a short walk such as Cafe Bellavista, Han Palace, restaurants in all the major hotels such as Pan Pacific, Hyatt and the Novotel.

Hay Street and St Georges Terrace are the two main streets in Perth. These streets are ussualy busy at day time with office crowd and during the night it is quiet. But you stayed during the Stereosonic concert days in Perth where most of the Perth streets were busy and noisy. This is some thing out of our control. This will be the same next week with the Ashes cricket. (more people in town - visitors) We did have security personnel arranged to monitor our building during your stay and we did not have any noise issues or unruly behaviour. I understand between 10am and 12 noon there was a bit of noise as the guests from all properties were walking on Hay Street to go to the concert.

Most apartments such as our operation closes at 5pm even they charge alot more for accommodation. We keep our reception open til midnight everyday and to gain access after 7pm you must enter the pin code that was provided to you on check in. This is very important for the staff and guest safety as on most nights there is only 1 staff member working at nights and we have concerns on his security and the guest security if we keep the front doors open during the night.

The Alderney gives the option to clients to have a daily service rate or no service rate and also offers 3 styles of accommodation to suit all budgets. standard apartment (budget traveller), Deluxe Apartment with Granite top kitchens and bathrooms (for corporate traveller) and Platinum Apartments for someone who is looking for luxury accommodation. Therefore its up to you to decide what style of accommodation and service you require. If you select a standard apartment with no service - yes the apartment will not get service daily and you will get a standard apartment not a deluxe apartment with the new fit out. If you run out of Tea bags, coffee, toilet paper, sugar, dish washing detergents, shampoo, shower gell, shaving cream, bath soap and body lotion etc. we provide these on a complimentary basis from reception or if you call reception the staff will drop them to your apartment even you are in a standard apartment with no service.

Alderney On Hay provides 2 bedroom apartments that are great value for money. This is why this property always operates in excess of 90% occupancy as the WA country clients and Corporate traveller is happy with the value they receive.

Bunbury, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I have stayed here a few times before and I am writing this review simply because of the terrible customer service I received there last week. I would not go back unless we were really desperate.
Our business manager booked the room in the name of one of our team, he was flying in later that night. I got to the Hotel early to check in and was upfront with the desk manager when he pointed out that it was not in my name and I could not check in. I advised him that I owned the company, my wife, the Business Manager, had made the booking and that I was happy to use my credit card for the room deposit. He advised that as the booking was via Wotif he could not check me in... give me a break, I had even parked my car at the front so as to not take up another park underneath the hotel, what more did he want. If he had rung the number on the booking he would have got my wife, but no, it was not my name on the booking. After some time he offered to ring Wotif, but I declined his offer, hoping that he would just check me in.
I wish I had of taken up his offer, it would have shortened the time I had to deal with this guy.
Now I'll point out that I was pretty upset with his level of customer and I got a bit fired up, but seriously management team at the Alderney, have a good look at your service levels.
I ended up calling Wotif to get the booking details changed so I could get in, and got excellent customer service, a stark contrast to the Alderney on Hay.
It will take a fair bit of convincing to stay here ever again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank Deano_au
Roshan G, Manager at Alderney on Hay, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear Guest,
Thankyou for your feed back.
As per your agent Wotifs rules and regulations we are unable to allow any one who's name is not on the check in list to be checked in or allowed entry to the apartment regardless of the relationship. In this instance the booking was made under your wife's name and we need this changed by the agent (as per the agent rules) to allow you to be checked in which was adviced to you by the receptionist on duty. We also need evidence to provide to the agent of the exact name of the person filling in the registration form as the reservation name inorder to claim for the property payment from the agent. Also the privacy policies in place in Australia - as a property we are unable to allow any one who is not registered as a guest to allow to be checked in to the room. This is dangerous as per event that occured in Queensland few years ago where a hotelier allowed such and a girl was raped. We also caters for domestic abuse clients who are accommodated by a the government due to our security arrangements at the property. Therefore all our reception staff are trained to follow strict guidelines and procedures when it comes to handing out keys to apartments or providing apartment numbers of in house guests.

As a property we follow all rules and regulations imposed by the government and what we perceive as necessary inorder to protect our valued guests privacy and also to protect them from any harm.

Also in this instance a receptionist cannot verify a identification of a person with a phone call. This is why he wanted Wotif to change the booking.

In this instance I must appologise for any inconvenience caused if the receptionist didn't call Wotif on your behalf to sort the check in issue. I will speak to all reception staff where they need to contact agents and sort the issue rather than asking clients to call the agent.

I hope you do understand our position on this matter, It is for guest safety and due to rules and regulations that we have to follow we cannot allow anyone other than the names on the check in list to be allowed to the apartment.

Kind Regards