“Mixed Bag”

The Painted Bird Bar & Kitchen
Ranked #32 of 1,424 Restaurants in Perth
Cuisines: European, Italian, Spanish, Australian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Painted Bird is a small bar located in the heart of the Perth CBD, offering a range of tap and bottled beers, local and international wines and cocktails. We also offer a modern casual dining menu including a range of tapas, share plates and mains.
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I went to dinner here with my partner for my birthday.

The entrees (pork terrine & salsa verde, Margaret River venison bresaola & celeriac remoulade, House baked sourdough, cultured butter, local olive oil) cocktails and mains (Margaret River beef 3 ways: braised cheek, slow cooked skirt, crispy fried tendon, potato, pear & prosciutto pave, red wine sauce) were excellent. Very well done, and very tasty.

The desserts were not bad but they were not as expected. For example, the bacon ice cream did not taste like bacon or savoury. Next time, I'll probably order the Toblerone cocktail instead. The wine was also mediocre.

The service was pretty average. Despite the restaurant being half full, service was basic. For example, the waitress poured us water but was sloppy and slammed down the glasses on the table. When placing our order, the waitress cut off my partner to ask me "What would the lady like to order?" which was both rude and a bit patronising. Also, we ordered a bottle of wine and kept having to serve ourselves. I guess I just expected a higher level of service considering the website touted the front house staff had 5-star hospitality experience.

Lastly, the atmosphere is a bit flat. I cannot put my finger on why, but it just did not feel like an enjoyable place.

There are quite a few nice restaurants with good service in Perth. So while I would go back to The Painted Bird, I will not be rushing back.

2  Thank HAGustin

Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

What a find.... this tucked away restaurant is a must The food is superb and the service is impeccable everyone working were so accommodating in making sure our group were having a great time.. Highly recommend

1  Thank Teganfoodie
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Being a perthite getting into the city can sometimes be a mission. Took family to this tucked away restaurant and was very impressed. Well balanced menu for seafoodies and land fearers, great wine list, nice ambiance, average pricing. Service was prompt with a bit of good humour, meals came out in good time. Not as busy as it should've been for such great service and menu.

Thank JarrodMel Kidfr... K
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Visited for an evening meal. The restaurant is tucked away off a main road but it is worth seeking out. The food was excellent with all of us enthusing about our choices. Good range of beers and wines also and excellent service from the attentive staff. Watching the wine waiter perform was worth the visit alone. Definitely would eat here again.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Found this place on my last night which is always the way, but I will certainly be back when next in Perth. The food was excellent, we didn't order a starter but the Chef gave us a complementary Oxtail broth to try which was lovely. I had the Pork Belly and my husband had the Lamb, both very well cooked and so tasty. We then had another of Chef's complementary dishes, this time a Raspberry Petit Four. I so wish I had room for a dessert as this was delicious. The staff were very attentive and the music was good too.

2  Thank TracyB_10