“Expensive and backpackery”

The Emperor's Crown Hostel
Ranked #7 of 55 Speciality Lodging in Perth
Reviewed 8 October 2011

We stayed 3 nights here. We ended up staying her as we couldn't find anywhere else to stay. We stayed in a private double with own bathroom as when we arrived we realised it's a very social, gap yeary place and didn't want to stay in a dorm with them. It did cost a lot! So our room was very nice and clean and we had our own tv. The kitchen was very big but not many travellers cleaned up for themselves and are very loud and big groups kind of take over. There was a bbq there which we didn't have as you have to pay even more and got the look of death when we turned it down! There are lots of computers too but not cheap. The Location is good, a short walk from the main shop area. So if you want the gap year, get drunk, party with aussie girls (there were lots there for some reason) kind of stay - then stay here!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BigTrip11

Reviewed 23 September 2011

I stayed twice in the Emperor's crown and could say very opposed things about this place :

- The first week was great, I was in a 4 people dorm, very clean, with lockers, enough place at the bottom bed to put my stuff, and a good ensuite bathroom. The kitchen is not big but enough to cook and, from the 1rst floor, the place is quiet enough.

Based only on that experience, i could have said this place is great but, obviously, there is a big difference on the 1rst floor and the ground floor.

- After a trip outside of Perth i came back to this backpacker.
I had booked the same bed but they lost my booking and I ended up in another room (same price).
For the same price, i was in a dirty room, very noisy because of the common part outside, in the ground floor.
The shutter were broken so the light could come in.
The bathroom was common and sometime disgusting.
The 3 lockers of the room were completely broken, so I couldn't store my stuff safely anywhere.
I was in the upper bed and it had no ladder so it was a fight to climb in (and I'm not even speaking of getting down...)

I really think that, with the prices of the hostel, they could make some renovation in the ground floor rooms..

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Amyonite
Reviewed 18 August 2011

Very handy for the bustling suburb of Northbridge and easy access into the city. Overall the hostel is very clean (particularly excellent shower facilities!) and modern. The Irish guys running the front desk were helpful and dealt patiently with all of the guests different requests.

The only downside is $33 is definitely on the pricier side for a dorm bed, even in Perth, and the dorm bunks were incredibly squeaky, so nobody could climb in or out of bed without waking everyone else up!

Overall I would recommend it, but if money is tight I am not sure it's worth the extra dollar to your average traveller that's used to roughing it.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 July 2011

This is the 3rd time we have been stayed here and we will be back for more. 5 mins walk to city centre, rooms are very comfortabe and clean, staff are very helpfull and friendly and kitchen is a good size with all the aminities you need. Over all i couldnt say a thing wrong about this hostel. We have stayed in many hostels and this is without doubt one of the best! Thank you Natalie and Stephen

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank natalie0304
Reviewed 11 July 2011

I understand it's a backpackers but if you want to charge hotel prices for the one room that isn't a dorm then you should probably make sure the tv works and it isn't directly outside where people socialise. Some clean towels might have been nice also. May be good for your backpacker who has no money but everyone else stay away.

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank Leahbanks
Reviewed 10 July 2011

It's my very first time staying at a backpacker's place and probably my last. I stayed here for two nights in the double ensuite and i moved to a hotel. I must say it's quite decent place for backpackers as the room is clean and the location is just walking distance to the main city to shop. The only downside is that im a light sleeper and there are people who talk the entire night just behind my room and the doorway. They have a huge kitchen where you can make your own food. The price for hotels in australia is expensive and the price i paid for a backpackers is really not worth it.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2011

This is one of the best backpackers I have stayed in so far.
The backpacker is situated in Northbridge, and we, three of us, were welcomed by Francois, a very helpful and serviceminded French, and got the key to our room without any fuzz.
The first few nights we stayed in a private 4-person room with an ensuite. Bedlinen and towels were provided and everything was very clean.
We forgot to extend our booking, and the staff did all they could so that we could stay on, this time in a 5 bed dorm. The room was big, bur more important, it was clean.
The kitchen facilities are amazing. There is a huge kitchen with gas burners and to ovens. The kitchen is tidy most of the time, and if it is not, the people living here are to blame. The staff will tidy whatever is untidy.
We only met nice people while staying at the Emperors Crown. It is quiet, the courtyard closes at night so that residents will not be disturbed by other guests. Yet, you are only a 10 minutes walk from the city center. There are some bars and resturants in the area. The staff is very friendly, they will give you tips on what to see and how to get there, and they will chat with you when you bump into them.
If I ever come back to Perth, this is where I will stay!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family