“Best hostel I've ever stayed at”

The Emperor's Crown Hostel
Ranked #8 of 56 Speciality Lodging in Perth
Reviewed 30 October 2011

I stayed here with my boyfriend for one night at the end of October, 2011. Very clean hostel and quite quiet while we were there. Ryan, one of the staff members, was extremely helpful with telling us about bus routes and giving us info about Perth. He made us feel very welcome. We paid a little more to get a room with a private bathroom. The room was very clean so was the bathroom. The bed was very comfortable and there was tea and coffee in the room which was a nice plus AND a TV. I've stayed in a few hostels around Australia and this one, although more expensive than what I've usually spent (about $50 per person for one night with the private bathroom) was well worth it. Easy to find from the train stop in Northbridge and in a good area of the city. I would definitely recommend this hostel.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 October 2011

I'm not an experienced backpacker, so I'm not sure how this compares with others. I stayed one night during the 2011 CHOGM event when it's extremely busy in Perth. Room 9, a 4-share dorm. The other people didn't arrive so I had the room to myself.

Room 9 has a bathroom which was quite ok. The room is upstairs facing the front. There was not much noise, just occasional traffic from stirling road.

The bunks were clean and comfortable. Unfortunately blankets were not provided.

Location was great, close to the train stations, art gallery and library, and northbridge nightlife. Also directly behind the police special crimes headquarters, if that's of interest to you!

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 8 October 2011

We stayed 3 nights here. We ended up staying her as we couldn't find anywhere else to stay. We stayed in a private double with own bathroom as when we arrived we realised it's a very social, gap yeary place and didn't want to stay in a dorm with them. It did cost a lot! So our room was very nice and clean and we had our own tv. The kitchen was very big but not many travellers cleaned up for themselves and are very loud and big groups kind of take over. There was a bbq there which we didn't have as you have to pay even more and got the look of death when we turned it down! There are lots of computers too but not cheap. The Location is good, a short walk from the main shop area. So if you want the gap year, get drunk, party with aussie girls (there were lots there for some reason) kind of stay - then stay here!!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BigTrip11
Reviewed 23 September 2011

I stayed twice in the Emperor's crown and could say very opposed things about this place :

- The first week was great, I was in a 4 people dorm, very clean, with lockers, enough place at the bottom bed to put my stuff, and a good ensuite bathroom. The kitchen is not big but enough to cook and, from the 1rst floor, the place is quiet enough.

Based only on that experience, i could have said this place is great but, obviously, there is a big difference on the 1rst floor and the ground floor.

- After a trip outside of Perth i came back to this backpacker.
I had booked the same bed but they lost my booking and I ended up in another room (same price).
For the same price, i was in a dirty room, very noisy because of the common part outside, in the ground floor.
The shutter were broken so the light could come in.
The bathroom was common and sometime disgusting.
The 3 lockers of the room were completely broken, so I couldn't store my stuff safely anywhere.
I was in the upper bed and it had no ladder so it was a fight to climb in (and I'm not even speaking of getting down...)

I really think that, with the prices of the hostel, they could make some renovation in the ground floor rooms..

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Amyonite
Reviewed 18 August 2011

Very handy for the bustling suburb of Northbridge and easy access into the city. Overall the hostel is very clean (particularly excellent shower facilities!) and modern. The Irish guys running the front desk were helpful and dealt patiently with all of the guests different requests.

The only downside is $33 is definitely on the pricier side for a dorm bed, even in Perth, and the dorm bunks were incredibly squeaky, so nobody could climb in or out of bed without waking everyone else up!

Overall I would recommend it, but if money is tight I am not sure it's worth the extra dollar to your average traveller that's used to roughing it.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 July 2011

This is the 3rd time we have been stayed here and we will be back for more. 5 mins walk to city centre, rooms are very comfortabe and clean, staff are very helpfull and friendly and kitchen is a good size with all the aminities you need. Over all i couldnt say a thing wrong about this hostel. We have stayed in many hostels and this is without doubt one of the best! Thank you Natalie and Stephen

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank natalie0304
Reviewed 11 July 2011

I understand it's a backpackers but if you want to charge hotel prices for the one room that isn't a dorm then you should probably make sure the tv works and it isn't directly outside where people socialise. Some clean towels might have been nice also. May be good for your backpacker who has no money but everyone else stay away.

• Stayed: July 2011