“The best in Perth”

The Richardson Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 66 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed 13 September 2012

The Richardson is without a doubt the best value for money hotel in Perth. It is expensive, but not out of wack with the competitors elsewhere in the city - and none of them offer the expansive and comfortable rooms and fittings that Richardson does.
We found the staff very helpful at all times and willing to go beyond the normal in providing service.
Unfortunately we were not in the city long enough to enjoy the restaurants, but we did enjoy a great room service meal. The mini-bar is among the best I have come across and amply provided all we needed.
Additional convenience is the nearby stop for the Perth Cat bus system - free transport to and from anywhere in the city. That was invaluable in letting us attend to appointments without having to move the car and incur additional parking costs.
The room we had was very nicely laid out and spacious. A fully equipped kitchen was separate to the dining/lounge area which led out to a large balcony with outdoor setting. The bedroom was about the size of a regular hotel's deluxe room, and it also had door opening to the balcony.
Our stay was comfortable and well outside out expectations (on the positive side).

Room Tip: The deluxe suites are worth taking because opf the huge amount of comfortable space available and th...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
AndrewFarnfield, General Manager at The Richardson Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2012

Thank you DBD_Perth for your comments. The rooms are indeed spacious - on average 55m2 which is almost double the regular room in Perth, so per square metre it is excellent value! Thank you for your comments on the mini-bar, which is not so mini - value was also key here so the prices are only 10% above high street prices. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 10 September 2012

Having never been to Perth before I selected this hotel on the other visitor recommendations I found online and I was very pleased. Our reservations were perfectly managed from the moment we stepped inside the hotel we felt like we here honored and respected guests. Anything we needed they were able to provide. They arranged a fabulous driver to escort us around town and they were able to get us a window seat at a restaurant that was booked for several months out. The customer service didn't end until they bid us goodbye as we departed for the airport.

Owners of the facility are present at the hotel much of the time and it is so obvious how much they care about their guests.

We found the staff at the in hotel restaurant to be equally attentive to our every need and request. If you are spending the time and money to travel to Perth spend the little bit extra and stay at The Richardson - you will be so happy you did.

Room Tip: Allow the concierge to arrange your transportation. Local taxis are expensive and unreliable. Also...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business

Thank you VWhitecpa for your feedback and I was delighted to read that your stay was enjoyable, enhanced by the service of the staff. I was also glad to read that you enjoyed the limousine service - being a sprawling city I would agree it is well worth having a driver show you around, particularly if time is limited. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 30 August 2012

I have stayed at The Richardson during my regular business trips to Perth over the last two years or so. I have written a Trip Advisor Review on my experience at this wonderful hotel before ............so apologies if what follows does not add too much............. but I hope it does help people travelling to Perth. I am staying at The Richardson for another week, checking out tomorrow.

The Richardson just gets better and better - the management and staff seem to aspire to keep setting higher and higher standards - they are just not standing still. A couple of examples ........

First Example

A few months ago the Hotel brought in a new Lyonais chef (Chef Pascal) to head up the cooking at the Opus Restaurant. Chef Pascal has changed the menu (for the better in my personal opinion, although the previous Opus chef was seriously good) and I have sampled some of his latest cuisine this week. For the first time ever in my travels ........... tonight I ordered exactly the same meal as I had last night - the foie gras royale appetiser followed by the new marron main course. With Miguel's - Opus' superb, patient and friendly Portuguese Maitre D. - help on the choice of wines - by the glass - to assist the digestion (wines also the same as last night). And Maitre D Manfred always makes me feel at home, even if I make a ridicolously last minute booking.

I have been fortunate in recent years to have had the opportunity to eat (more than once) in two of Lyon's Michellin starred restaurants - Paul Bocuse and Nicolas Le Bec - I'm unsure ....... but I believe that Paul Bocuse now has three stars. Wonderful food that is beautifully cooked. I do not profess to be a culinary judge or any type of foodie expert ........... but I would challenge anyone who has eaten at these Lyon restaurants and at The Richardson's Opus restaurant to say that the cuisine in the Opus restaurant is inferior. It is not. Chef Pascale is superb - he takes a local Australian ingredient - for example a marron - and cooks it beautifully, without over-cluttering it with too many flavours - local ingredients beautifully cooked. And Maitre D' Miguel knows exactly how to make his guests feel valued and gives the confidence that everything will be in order..... or better.

One of the things that obliges me to rate the Opus restaurant and The Richardson so highly ........ is I had this food as ROOM SERVICE, not in the restaurant itself - I dined (alone) in my room after ordering over the phone with Miguel. I'm not comfortable eating on my own in a restaurant if I'm honest about it, so I often go for the room service. I do not know any where else in Asia Pacific where this kind of ten-out-of-ten room-service quality is available.

Second Example

The room at The Richardson is always cleaned immaculately. This evening the living room TV wasn't working when I returned from work. Within two minutes of my call, Liam - a familiar and friendly face from the front desk - was in the room to fix it - Liam ascertained that the maids had been overly zealous in their cleaning and had inadvertently nudged a plug out of its socket. A minor thing .......... but what struck me was the total customer focus of Liam - I was a twit who hadn't checked something simple yet Liam got nowhere near to making me feel that way. Mundane ..... but I was made to feel valued, rather than just part of the furniture.

Third Example

The recently opened Conservatory Cafe is very nice. If I wan't something light it is just right - no compromise on quality and very friendly service. Nothing seems too much trouble.

The danger in writing reviews like this is that sometimes people believe them and cause the hotel to be booked out when I want to make a reservation! Seriously .......... is there a better managed and more customer focused and oriented hotel in Australia? I have yet to find it - The Richardson is a gem........ and it gets better all the time.

Room Tip: Eat at Opus.
1  Thank 28Jon

Thank you 28Jon and, more than anything, I am delighted to hear that we are delivering a high quality experience consistently. It's an honoured to work with such a passionate group of like-minded professionals and we take feedback, both positive and constructive, extremely seriously. Comments like this serves as a great reinforcement and motivator which I will pass on to the team - thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 20 August 2012

i would just like to say a big thank you for the 5+ start treatment and very warm welcome and greeting i received.

secondly i cannot explain how much the team members from your hotel treated myself i felt like a prince when I'm only an everyday bloke but from room service (EXCELLENT BY THE WAY) all the way to my booking out all staff were tops.

again anyone wishing to stay there i would strongly recommend you do so.

i will be back there on a regular basis but also plan to take my wife there as well when we do get a vacation.

warmest regards,

frank kitto.
brisbane

Room Tip: i was in room 404 over looking subiaco
1  Thank franky1260

Thank you Mr Kitto and I was glad to hear that you felt like royalty - the way it should be! We look forward to welcoming you and your family back for some more pampering.

Reviewed 17 August 2012

We only had one night but enjoyed our brief stay.

Location: set between Kings Park and the CBD this is a great location when visiting Perth on holidays. The Cat Bus and local area provide heaps of access to surrounding shops, cafes and restaurants.

The service was exceptional and the staff friendly and helpful. We had room service: the food came quickly and was hot and fresh on arrival. We had a two bedroom suite wich was well appointed and roomy. Though the bedrooms were not large, they were very adequate and the bed was extremely comfortable. A small but quite adequate balcony is a lovely addition and a pillow library caters to all preferences. The small kitchen appeared to be well equipped though we did not have need of it. A nice touch was the frozen meals in the freezer that made-up part of the ‘minibar’ package.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Oh-so-relaxed

Thank you Oh-so-relaxed for your feedback and I was delighted to read your positive comments, in particular regarding the service you received. I concur that our location is ideal to explore both the Central Business District and some of the other popular areas of Perth including Subiaco, Leederville, Mount Lawley, Claremont, the beaches at Cottesloe and King's Park. We look forward to welcoming you back for longer next time!

Reviewed 7 August 2012

My traveling companion and I stayed at Richardson Hotel for two nights while passing through Perth. We only stayed there as our choice hotel, Fraser Suites, has delayed opening until October 2012. As much noted in the media, hotel prices in Australia are through the roof. So, what are mid-grade hotels are going for astronomical amounts of money. The staff was very nice at the hotel, especially Bradley and Stephanie. The rooms were small, but clean. Oddly, the staff at the adjacent restaurant were arrogant and the food ridiculously over-priced. Again, the hotel staff (exclusive of the restaurant) are what makes this hotel. In my opinion, when the market starts adjusting, they will have to kick it up a notch.

Room Tip: If you wish to sit out on your deck, get a room on the opposite side of the kitchen ventilation, whi...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank vatravelergirl

Thank you VAtravelergirl for your comments and I was glad to read that you found the hotel staff friendly and efficient along with clean rooms. Being a city hotel, our views are limited although our Penthouses and One Bedroom Suites offer good views to Kings Park and the surrounding city. In terms of the pricing at Opus, it is relative to the product and the market, although it should be noted that in Australia prices are all inclusive - there is no expectation of tipping and tax is included. I am sorry if any of our staff were perceived as arrogant and if there was a specific circumstance I would welcome the opportunity to address the situation - please e:mail me directly on andrew.farnfield@therichardson.com.au Thank you again for your comments and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed 27 July 2012

Everything about The Richardson was excellent. Check in staff very friendly and polite. We were given an upgrade to a one bedroom suite, which was beautiful. It was equipped with everything you could need, including a full sized fridge /freezer and microwave. There were some very tasty looking ready meals in the freezer, which my husband, who travels frequently on business, thought was a good idea, no need to wait on luke warm room service! The fridge was also stocked with some snack items and usual booze, everything was very reasonably priced. Wifi was also free, which is how all hotels should be nowadays. Location was good, in a quiet street not far from CBD and an easy walks to shops/restaurants. We will be back!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank rodly
AndrewFarnfield, General Manager at The Richardson Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2012

Thank you Rodly for your comments and above all, I was delighted to read that the staff and environment made you feel at home. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.