“Recharged our batteries in a relaxing, and lovely environment.”

The Richardson Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 66 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed 19 April 2010

My husband surprised me with a lovely night at The Richardson in West Perth. Such a lovely boutique hotel. We were greeted and made welcome from the minute we drove up to the front doors and our car was taken and parked for us. All staff were so attentive to our every need. Check in was quick and friendly. We felt very special to be informed that we had been given an upgrade to a suite and late check out. It was very appreciated.

The room was lovely. First impression was how lovely it smelt. It had everything you needed. Little kitchen with a great coffee maker! Meals available in the freezer if we wished to purchase them. It had it all. Lounge area was really comfortable. Balcony was roomy. Bathroom modern and clean. Bed huge and so comfortable, robes and slippers, tv in bedroom too. Choice of 6 pillows available if we desired. The whole suite was spotless.

My husband had booked me in for a Spa Treatment, while he enjoyed the gym. The spa was just beautiful. As I lay there on the heated bed, all wrapped up in mud I thought I had died and gone to heaven! It was just lovely.

The pool area looked great too. Reminded me of beautiful Bali resorts.

Enjoyed dinner at the Opus Restaurant too that night. Again, so attentive to our needs. Lovely environment and beautiful food.

We were really relieved to find that the room was so quiet throughout the night. You couldn't hear any of the traffic noise at all.

Enjoyed yummy breakfast in the sun room area of the Opus Resaurant.

The hotel is in the heart of West Perth. Just a short stroll to cafes, shops, etc and not far to trendi Subiaco.

It was just what we needed to relax, and spend some time alone enjoying each others company - no kids to interrupt! Would love to go back soon. Thanks to everyone there.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
AndrewWA70, General Manager at The Richardson Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2010

Thank you GLB Perth for taking the time to review our hotel. From your review you seem to have made the most of your stay and enjoyed the Spa as well as Opus restaurant. I was pleased to read that both experiences were enjoyable along with a good night's rest. We look forward to welcome you back when you are in need of an oasis of calm and relaxation.

Reviewed 17 March 2010

It is always a pleasure to stay at The Richardson in Perth.
On arrival, I was I greeted by their Concierge and on check in taken to my room and familiarised with the hotel/room facilities and their 24 hour service and hospitality. This was further followed by a courtesy call from their Duty Manager to personally welcome me back to the Richardson with the offer of reserving a table for dinner that night at Opus, their fine dining restaurant. In taking up the booking I found their food to be well presented, succulent and very tasty, whilst the chosen wine was superb.
Throughout the balance of my stay, I was warmly greeted, well looked after and welcomed back at the end of each day's business with care. in a nutshell - it was a perfect stay!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business

Thank you AbbiMelbourne for your patronage - it is reassuring to hear that we create a home from home atmosphere for our regular guests. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 16 February 2010

We visited for our 35th anniversary and took advantage of a special deal including accommodation and meal at Opus restaurant. We have stayed at all of Perth's 5 star hotels - usually in a suite and The Richardson leaves them all a long way behind. From the personal greeting of the Hotel's manager to the glass of water on check in the staff were courteous and helpful at all times. Our room - an upgrade to a 7th floor suite was spacious and beautifully furnished. We really appreciated the berry tea and the nespresso coffee machine. The style seems to aim for quiet quality not flash and it suceeds well.
The staff seem prepared to handle any situation with efficiency and good humour - the dvd player in our room stopped working and within two minutes the concierge had arrived to attempt a repair, when this was not possible a new machine arrived promptly and was up and running in no time. We waited several hours in another Perth hotel while they lost our bags between our room and reception with no apology - I cannot imagine this occurring at The Richardson.
Our Degustation meal at Opus was a similarly enjoyable experience, while some of the courses were not choices I would have made every one was spectacular - it was a great way to try things I otherwise would not have done. The service was suberb, unobtrusive but charming and knowledgeable. The quality of the restaurant's tableware and fit out was also great making for a truly special night for our celebration. Yes it's expensive but you get what you pay for and it's well worth the money.
Overall I could not fault our stay, thank you very much to this hotel for making us feel like very special guests - we will be back.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
AndrewWA70, Hotel Manager at The Richardson Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2010

Thank you Mollycat123 for your comments and I am delighted to hear that we managed to create a memorable anniversary for you. Although we invest a significant amount of time and resources to ensure your room is perfect on arrival, the unexpected can happen and I was pleased to read that, in the case of the DVD player, this was resolved efficiently. I was also glad to read that you enjoyed the dining experience, not only for the quality and unique food but also the quality of service and physical product. More than anything, I am sanguine that we made you feel special as this is our ultimate goal. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 14 January 2010

We chose this on the basis of the TripAdvisor reviews - we found this the best hotel we had stayed at. The room was thoughtfully kitted out as an apartment with all the odds and ends that might be wanted (from frozen pizza to cheese to paracetamol); the hotel was quiet, well-organised, clean and comfortable (even by the standards of 5-star. However, the thing that really makes the hotel is the staff who are remarkably helpful and and supportive without becoming obsequious - makes it comfortable to turn to them. Location is in West Perth but hte local frequent free bus service makes the city easily accessible. Shops and cafes are a block away. It inlcuded effective cable broadband (speeds drop further out of the city), a good swiming pool and an adequate gym. Its Opus restaurant is very good and provides a selection of room service dishes. Overall, not cheap but a sense of getting what you pay for. We will return the next time we stay in Perth.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple

Thank you TBCS for your comments and in particular the compliments regarding the staff. We firmly believe that our staff are our greatest asset and I am delighted that the daily efforts by many have been noticed and appreciated. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 5 January 2010

After staying at the top name hotels in Perth over the years and being disappointed we have finally found true 5 star hotel accommodation! The hotel, the suite and the staff lived up to our expectations of luxury away from home! Extra special little touches on our arrival and during the stay made it an absolute pleasure! Well done The Richardson! You've certainly 'cracked it'!! Have already highly recommended this hotel to our family and friends and we look forward to staying there again in the not too distant future!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank LA1Perth
AndrewWA70, Hotel Manager at The Richardson Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2010

Thank you for taking the time to record your comments LA1Perth - I will certainly share your thoughts with the operational team. Our goal has always been to provide a high performance experience blended with warm, personal service regardless of whether your stay is for business or pleasure. We look forward to welcoming you and your friends back soon to your new home from home in Perth.

Reviewed 20 December 2009

OVERVIEW:

The Richardson is five star hotel located in a suburban area amidst homes and low density offices buildings in West Perth close to Kings Park.

The hotel staff were generally warm and friendly and keen to please. On arriving at the hotel I was greeted by the friendly doorman come* porter come* concierge and my vehicle was unloaded and parked with the minimal of fuss. After checking me in, the receptionist introduced me to the hotel manager (an Englishman by the name of Andrew Farnfield) and arranged for me to be shown to my room.

The accommodation was clean and comfortable, but lacked the sparkle of some of the other five star properties I stayed in during my time in Australia. The hotel lobby, bar and restaurant lacked atmosphere and the hotel had an empty business-like feel about it.

All things considered, the Richardson is it is probably better suited to a business trip than a leisure break.

* I realise that this is not the correct spelling but Tripadvisor will not allow me to use the correct spelling of (c-u-m) insisting that “We can't accept reviews that use profanity. Please rewrite.” Hmmm.

THE SUITES:

I stayed (along with my niece and nephew) in the two bedroom Tuart suite on the 8th floor at AUD 695 per night. There is an opening plan kitchen / dining / living area complete with coffee machine, microwave, refrigerator, washing machine, tumble dryer and mini-ironing board). A balcony, master bedroom with a king size bed and ensuite bathroom (bath and walk in shower), second bedroom (with twin beds) and a second bathroom (with walk in shower) led off the main living area.

The view from the balcony was a big disappointment. Looking at the pictures on the hotel’s website I had imagined glorious views of Kings Park. However, I was greeted with views of the back end of neighbouring offices and industrial units instead.

The furnishings felt a little dated compared to some of the other five star hotels I stayed in during my trip to Australia (Park Hyatt, Sydney; Byron at Byron, Byron Bay; Palazzo Versace, Gold Coast; Qualia, Hamilton Island; and Longitude 131, Ayers Rock) and the bedrooms were quite small.

There is a flat screen TV, DVD player and ipod / iphone docking station in the living area for music lovers.

FOOD & DRINK:

Breakfast is served in the Opus restaurant which is also open for lunch and dinner each day and houses a small cocktail bar.

The full cooked breakfast is AUD 35. The buffet is AUD 25. The quality of the cooked breakfast was good, but I found the buffet a little uninspiring and asked the team if they could bring me some cheese to go with my selection of bread, yoghurt and fruit. They were happy to oblige.

We chose not to eat dinner in the hotel. Opting to take the five minute (AUD 10) taxi ride to the somewhat livelier Subiaco area which is teeming with shops, bars and restaurants.

GYM, POOL & SPA:

The hotel has a gym, pool and spa which seemed rather quiet when I looked in.

The spa requests that gentlemen wear shorts when having a massage, rather than simply be covered by a towel as is the norm elsewhere. Strange!

TELEPHONE SYSTEM:

Unfortunately during my stay, my father was taken seriously ill and was admitted to hospital. As a consequence I spent a long time on the telephone to family and medical staff in the UK. The hotel’s modern VOIP telephone system proved extremely cost effective, with circa 400 minutes of international calls costing $126 (much cheaper than using my mobile phone).

BUSINESS CENTRE:

The hotel’s business centre is located in an adjoining building (10 meters form the hotel’s main entrance). Unfortunately it only has one PC so I had to wait for another guest to finish using the internet before I could logon. That said, the concerierge was very helpful, offering the reserve the PC for me and call me as soon as it was free.

PRE-PAMENT:

Guests are required to pre-pay for their entire stay at check in-time which is a little unusual (I have not seen this anywhere else in the world save for the low hotels like the Premier Inn at Kings Cross in London). That said, as a result of my father’s ill health, I was forced to cut my trip short and return to the UK earlier than planned. The hotel was very understanding and offered a full refund of the unused nights’ accommodation. The hotel manager personally bid me farewell.

SUGGESTIONS FOR IMPROVEMENT:

The hotel staff were generally warm and friendly and keen to please and I was greeted by name throughout my stay. The reception and concerierge team were happy to help with parking (parking outside the hotel is metered but is free in the evenings and at weekends, alternatively valet parking is available from the hotel at AUD 25 per day), restaurant bookings, suggestions of things to do and see, train timetables etc etc.

However, the hotel is very quiet and lacks atmosphere. If the management could create a livelier, buzzier atmosphere (perhaps by having background music in the reception area or opening up the bar so that it spills over in to the lobby) it would make for a more pleasant stay.

OUR COMPLETE ITINERARY:

Sydney: Park Hyatt (H)
Blue Mountains: Lilianfels (H)
Blue Mountains: Trek with Life's an Adventure (O)
Nelsons Bay : Amarana Beach Resort (A)
Port Macquarie: Quality Inn HW Boutique (H)
Coffs Harbour: Promised Land Cottages (A)
Byron: Byron at Byron (H)
Gold Coast: Palazzo Versace (H)
Airlie Beach: The Peninsula (A)
Whitsunday Islands: Coral Trekker (O)
Hamilton Island: Qualia (H)
Darwin: Sky City (H)
Litchfield National Park: Adventure Tours (O)
Kakadu National Park: Adventure Tours (O)
Ayers Rock (Uluru) & The Olgars (Kata Tjuta) National Park: Longitude 131° (H)
Perth: The Richardson (H)

(H) = Hotel (A) = Apartment (O) = Other

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Adventura1405
AndrewWA70, Hotel Manager at The Richardson Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2010

Thank you Adventura1405 for your detailed review and we certainly welcome your thoughts and comments. I was glad to read that, overall you had an enjoyable stay and that our staff were warm and friendly. The hotel’s design goal was to create an oasis of calm whilst delivering a high performance experience – although its style may not suit all tastes we have tried to accommodate to broad range of clients. Your comment on atmosphere, however, is noted and we will review how this would be best addressed. I have also noted your comment regarding dress code in the spa and this has been amended. I am glad you appreciated our VOIP telephone system and it indeed adds to the value we offer. Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 16 December 2009

Had a very pleasant stay in the luxury boutique hotel The Richardson; from check-in until check-out, staff has been very helpfull and very friendly. The Richardson is a nice, trendy hotel, in a perfect location, has large rooms, well equiped bathrooms and good overall facilities. The 'in-house" Opus restaurant is of high standard and is to be recommended for its fine cuisine and glamarous ambiance; it' s by no mean cheap though !. I liked the location of the hotel as it is in a relatively quiet area and still on walking distance from the City and close to the Kings Park.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo

Thank you Groningen for your feedback and I will pass on your comments to the team. I was pleased to read that you found everyone friendly and helpful - warm, hospitable service is one of our cornerstones that is so key to creating a memorable experience. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed Opus - although not cheap we feel the product, service and ambience offers good value.