“Avoid this place!”

Ranked #46 of 59 Speciality Lodging in Perth
Perth, Australia
“Avoid this place!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Stayed here a week. Filthy place. It's cheap but you get what you pay for... Bad atmosphere, rude and dishonest staff, big chance to lose valuable things. With other words, pay a few dollar more per night for another hostel and your stay in Perth will be a lot better and safer

• Stayed January 2014
Globe Backers P, Front Office Manager at Globe Backpackers & City Oasis Resort, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Thank you for your review and sorry for the bad experience you had while at in the hostel! We value all options as if it wasn't for the odd bad reviews we'd have nothing to learn from and nothing to try and improve from, although it's hard to believe we're talking about the same hostel. Now under new management we have been working hard in recently months with painting and maintenance around the hostel, a largely new staff behind the desk and a owner putting in everything to work towards being the best hostel we can be. I understand that it has been some time now since your visit but if you get the chance to send us an email to go into more details about your comments it would be greatly appreciated so we can take your comments into consideration as work to improve the business.

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

Travelling through Australia for ten months, I stayed in many hostels. This is one of the best.

I did stay in a 6bedroom female form which meant I had a tv in the room, a fridge and a ensuite. I therefore did not have to use the communal toilets etc. It was only an extra 20 dollars a week so I was happy to pay this.

Rooms were cleaned every second day, bed sheets were changed weekly if you were a long time resident. The kitchen had ample space for everyone to cook. Movie room down stairs and pool table. The swimming pool is non existent- it is a dirty tub of water that could not and would not be used by anyone so ignore that selling point. The staff were friendly and nice, and it is in a perfect location. Directly across from the bus station.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
This is true, I've worked in all types of hostels for the big to small, the flash to the budget and no matter which one I was at there are always those select few that expect a hotel with private rooms, room service and a mint on the pillow, but most backpackers understand that a hostel means shared rooms, social atmosphere for a budget price and love the experience. Glad you enjoyed your stay!
Perth, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

This place is totally run down and filthy. Luckily my booking was for one night only as I wanted to ensure that I did not miss my early pick up. The only redeeming feature is the location. I booked a single room, so I did not experience all the same issues as other users but, unfortunately, had to use the communal toilets and bathrooms which were disgusting.

Room Tip: Try another backpacker
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank wearytraveller148
Globe Backers P, Front Office Manager at Globe Backpackers & City Oasis Resort, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Thanks WearyTraveller for taking the time to review our hostel, we love to hear all options as we seem to hear then from different sides of the scale both the good and the bad. Although it's always nice to read through our many positive reviews, the negative and middle ground are good as well so we are aware of what areas we need to work on. We have worked hard on many of the concerns you have brought up since you visit last year but of course there is always more to do of course a business such as our should always be working to improve and be the best it can be and it can be hard working behind the desk to know all the concerns of our amazing guest without people such as yourself bring them up so thanks again!

Travellers are raving about these Perth hotels

Canberra, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

his place was terrible. We chose it because of the location as we were picked up early in the morning. Also the night was fairly cheap compared to other hostels in Perth.

People do not show any respects at time: they would scream, bang the door, talk loudly in the dorms no matter the time of day or night.
bathroom were a bit disgusting.

I was on the top bed and ladder was broken, it was really hard to go up and down the bed.

Also it was a massive dorms with beds very close from each others, no rooms for bags

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Helene-BZH-OZ
Thanks for your review and sorry to hear about your experience with us! It's a shame when the actions of a few disrupt the experiences of others and although we are aware that for the most part our guest are respectful and well behaved like any hostel there are always those that only think of themselves and although it does happen thankfully it's not to often, we do work hard in reception to quickly act of any disturbances that we're made aware off.

As for room we have a variety of different sizes, you of course booked one of the larger/cheaper rooms but we have a number of choices for all tastes and budgets for the large to the smaller 6 and 4 beds to double & twins.
Berlin, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2013

We booked this hostel without checking any reviews beforehand - that was our own fault. We thought Australia is the home country of backpacking - any hostel will be ok. Don't make the same mistake!
This place is the worst place I have stayed at so far, and I have travelled many other countries all over the world. It is dirty, disgusting, loud, unfriendly and full of bugs.

The private room I stayed in was located in the courtyard, so every night, I was woken up by people sitting, smoking, drinking and yelling. The room was poorly ventilated, so you have to leave the window open. The fridge inside the room was a breeding place for cockroaches. When I complained about this, the guy from the reception refused to enter the room to have a look, because he "didn't really like cockroaches"! I was moved to another room for the night and they promised to give my original room a thorough cleaning. When I was asked to move back to the room the next day, the corpses of the cockroaches were still on the floor, so I refused to move back. I stayed in the other room for the remaining nights, and they gave my original room to a new guest - obviously without cleaning it!
The new room was upstairs and hadn't seen a wiping cloth for ages. There was rubbish on the lockers (mostly broken), the carpet was stained and filthy. We tried to distinguish the blurs on the walls between "human fluid" and "non-human fluids", which kept us busy for a night. The holes in the walls obviously stem from anger and not from accidental collisions.
During our stay, a dorm room (20 beds!) had to be evacuated due to a bed bug invasion.

The staff is mostly rude and useless: They even gave an upstairs room to a wheelchair user - although he specifically asked for a room with disabled facilities when booking. The cleaners were lost in this labyrinth and asked us for the way to the bathrooms.

There is no free wifi or internet access. If you want to print a document, you have to purchase internet hours to log-on to their public computers and then send your document to their printer. Any other place we stayed at printed our documents without any surcharge.

Please, if you have the chance to stay anywhere else: Do it! Do not stay here! If you can't afford any other place in overpriced Perth: Skip Perth!

Room Tip: None (and especially not the downstairs rooms facing the courtyard, and do not stay in rooms #22 and...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
7 Thank J-092013
Pretoria
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

I came to Australia with high expectations of a wonderful country and friendly people. I was naïve. The Department of Health should close this place down - after all the effort at the airport to keep diseases out, you might discover a few new species here.

(1) Everything is very dirty - the walls have clearly not been washed since the building was constructed, all surfaces are dust covered and you should not enter showers barefoot. (2) The staff are occasionally friendly, but mostly rude, arrogant, nonchalant and completely useless. (3) Bugs, bugs everywhere - bed bugs, cockroaches and the despondent drug addicts kicked out of other places. (4) Way overpriced - I would rather sell my body to afford a caravan outside of the city.

You should get inoculated before entering this place. It's no guarantee, but at least worth a try. And don't be tempted by the lower-than-average Perth rates - it's definitely not worth it.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
7 Thank Matthys R
Globe Backers P, Guest Relations Manager at Globe Backpackers & City Oasis Resort, responded to this review, 13 September 2014
Wow, very cleaver comments there, loved the airport and new species bit!! I feel like I had a Homer Simpsons moment going to laugh before realizing it was my work place that you were talking about. It's hard to believe these old comments are the same hostel and I must say that I'm glad times have changed because I've worked in some nice hostels around the world and I would not want to work in the type of hostel your describing. And "sell my body to afford a caravan outside of the city", are they really that much? Back to being serious I hope you enjoyed the rest of you trip to Australia, it's a beautiful county!!
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

I have been only for two weeks and I found it really good place to spend my holiday in Perth, Located in the middle of the city.. walk distance to everything!.
Met some cool friends here.. nice place over all!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Hey Nicky, just looking back over our reviews and wanted to say that we're glad you enjoyed your stay in the Globe Backpackers and City Oasis last year. Thanks for the positive review and hope this past year has been good to you!