“Handy location and spacious apartment”

Ranked #24 of 81 Hotels in Perth
Palmerston North
“Handy location and spacious apartment”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

We originally chose this hotel due to its proximity to the train station thinking that it would be handy when we got to Perth on the Indian Pacific Train. However that train actually terminates at East Perth Station so the Central Perth station near this hotel was not relevant unless you took a connecting train from East Perth. Location-wise this place is right in the heart of the city with the main shopping mall only a few metres away and the recommended restaurant area within walking distance as well. We were on the 5th floor facing out towards the train lines but there was no traffic noise except when out on the balcony. The area around this hotel is a bit seedy (sex shops and grubby looking internet cafes). The hotel does lock the main doors at night post 9pm (or earlier as we discovered one evening when the girl on the front desk opened the door for us and said she had shut it earlier due to some undesirable types loitering outside) and card key access is the only way you can get in after this time but you also need it for the lift and your room anyway.
Price-wise this hotel is not cheap and was by far the most expensive of this holiday which included Melbourne and Sydney. The price is probably inflated like most Perth accommodation by the FIFO workers from the mines who seem to come to this city for their time off work. Generally we found eating out and food /wine purchased in Perth to be quite expensive compared to other cities in Australia.
The front of house staff were friendly and hospitable. We were particularly impressed that we had been upgraded to a superior one bedroom apartment and that we could check in and use our room at 10am in the morning. Not sure what superiror meant relative to regular though! The apartment itself was spacious and well appointed with a good range of mini bar products including a package breakfast if you did want to buy a few provisions in. There are 2 convenience stores within meters of the hotel and a Coles supermarket and attached liquor store in the mall. We didn't eat at the adjoining restaurant but the menu looked reasonable and prices OK.
The free Cat buses (3 different routes) stop just opposite the hotel and were a useful way to get around the city and also over to the restaurant area. It was good to have a washing machine and dryer available in the apartment although the balcony proved to be an excellent way to dry clothes during the warm sunny weather we experienced.

Room Tip: A one bedroom apartment is spacious. A room looking out over Wellington Street on at least 4th floor...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank silverthreads101
Kyle K, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, Barrack Plaza, responded to this review, 9 May 2013
Dear Silverthreads101

Thank you so much for your extended & positive Trip Advisor posting. Your feedback is valuable to us and we appreciate the time taken writing such a detailed review of your experience at the hotel. It was great to read that the Team left a positive lasting impression and I am sure they will enjoy hearing to be mentioned in your review.

The hotel is indeed located very central with both dining and shopping attractions just around the corner. Because we are located in the CBD centre we do lock our doors from 9pm onwards. This is to guarantee the safety for both our guests and the Team. Reception is available and present 24/7 to provide access at any given time of the day. I was glad to read that the location did help making your stay enjoyable and that the free CAT busses helped making your inner city travels easy.

Accommodation prices in Perth are slightly higher than the rest of the country but I can assure you that our rates are very competitive to the market. The Adina Barrack Plaza in addition offers spacious apartment style accommodation including full kitchen & washing facilities in all 1 and 2 Bedroom apartments. As you mentioned I was happy that this was of great use too you.

Silverthreads101 thank you again for sharing your experience with us and we are looking forward welcoming you back to the hotel upon your next visit to Perth.

Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, Barrack Plaza

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Brisbane Region, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013 via mobile

A great inner city break hotel, convenient for sightseeing. Close to shops and restaurants. Comfortable beds and well equipped rooms. The only downside was the car park was full so we had to park overnight at a pay car park around the corner meaning our hire car was locked in overnight, so we had to wait for it to open rather than get an early start as planned.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Claire H
Kyle K, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, Barrack Plaza, responded to this review, 7 May 2013
Dear Claire H

Thank you for the time taken and your positive review posting on Trip Advisor.

It was great to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that in particular you liked the location of the hotel. Also, I was glad you found our beds comfortable and the apartment well equipped.

I was sorry to read that parking had a slight impact on your day. The hotel only has very limited parking available and we do recommend our guests to pre-book this well in advance to ensure availability is secured. On your next stay, please contact us on 08 9267 0000 or via email barrackplaza@adinahotels.com.au and we more than happy would be able to assist.

Thank you again for sharing your experience. We value your feedback and we are looking forward to be seeing you return on your next stay with us.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2013

I visit Perth two or three times a year on business and stay at the Adina on Barrack St, which suits my needs ideally. The hotel is handy to the central city and most places I need to get to, while public transport hubs are close and the arterial roads are easy to access.

The rooms are large and spacious - about as good as you could ask for in the price range - and everything you could want is readily to hand. I haven't found a room that I didn't like, and every one I've stayed in has been of a similar high standard. In a city that can get very warm in summer the aircon needs to work efficiently (which it does, cooling quickly) but the rooms don't get so stuffy that it needs to be operating all night.

Self-caterers don't have to go far to find the supermarket and there are plenty of little cafes and shops within a short walk.

I've always found the staff friendly and helpful as well as being good at their jobs, which is just what you're after.

The one knock I would have on the hotel is the minimal car parking - you must pre-book this and it's often easier (and, surprisingly, cheaper) to use the Wilson parking garage down the street. The Perth one-way system means you might have to travel a fair bit out of your way when leaving the hotel, but that's the city's fault.

Apart from that one minor grizzle, I've had nothing but good stays here. It's one of those hotels where I sleep particularly soundly although I realise this is a personal observation and not one that will apply to everybody. It works for me, and makes the Adina my regular choice in Perth.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Road_Kiwi
Kyle K, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, Barrack Plaza, responded to this review, 5 May 2013
Dear Road_kiwi

Thank you for the time taken and posting such a detailed review about the hotel.

It was great to read that you have chosen the Adina Barrack Plaza as your preferred hotel option. I will most definitely share your feedback with the Team and I am sure they are excited to be mentioned as “friendly” and “good at their jobs”!

I was glad to read you found our apartments spacious and met your expectations. We are well situation in the CBD district with both shopping and eating just around the corner as well as some of Perth main attractions.

I do understand your comments in regards our parking. Unfortunately the hotel only has 23 car parking bays hence is very limited. We do advise to pre-book parking well in advance to ensure a spot is secured. Luckily as you mentioned there are car parking facilities very near to the hotel and especially over weekends at very competitive weekend rates.

Road_kiwi, thank you again for your candid review and we are looking forward to continue and see you return upon your next visit to Perth. It will be great meeting you next time when staying with us.

Perth, Western Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2013

Stayed for one night in a 2 bedroom apartment on 4th floor with family of 4. The apartment was great, clean, spacious and mostly comfortable. All kitchen items clean and in working order. Bathrooms clean. Beds a little uncomfortable (the kingsize bed mattress very hard) but OK. Linen good. Plenty of space to lounge around. Air condition worked fine.

Location is perfect. Right in heart of CBD. Apartments are a little pricey in my opinion say compared to Brisbane but getting used to that in Perth. Can walk straight out and catch buses including the free ones (called CATS) to most places. Train station nearby. Both Murray street and Hay street malls at your doorstep with loads of shopping and dining options. Plenty of secure parking facilities around Adina. The parking at Adina is limited though so need to book in advance if want to park at the apartments. Only drawback for location is the adultshop a few doors up. Not a good look when walking with kiddies but it is discrete enough.

I didnt have breaky at Adina but my wife and kids did in their attached bar/bistro. They said food Ok but pricey. Better options in city malls.

Reception good, nothing to complain about. There is a $50 bond payable when checking in. Check out easy.

Overall recommended for family or business stays.

Room Tip: Ask to be upgraded to a premium apartment - more spacious.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank dejamls
Kyle K, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, Barrack Plaza, responded to this review, 3 May 2013
Dear Dejamis

Thank you very much for your time and great Trip Advisor review in relation to your recent stay with us.

I was great to read that you found the location perfect and that you took advantage of the free CAT busses to explore Perth city but also found it conveniently close to both shopping & dining options.

Your feedback will be shared with the Hotel Team. It was good to read that you found the apartment clean and in working order. I have taken note of your feedback about the beds. Please do not hesitate in future to contact our friendly Reception Team as they may be able to assist.

Thank you again for your kind feedback and I am happy that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Please do not hesitate contacting us directly for your next visit to the city and we gladly would offer you the most competitive rate available.

Looking forward welcoming you back next time.

Warm regards

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2013

Would I stay here again??? NO!!!

Internet
BEFORE PAYING FOR INTERNET BUY A WIRELESS HOTSPOT, like the ones avaible from Telstra, you can have multiple devices connected.

Internet was a major issue at this hotel, I reviewed was included in the room price and it stated there was broadband and Wi-Fi, it did not state there were additional charges. I had booked the most expensive room and was staying 6 nights and I thought internet was included. I also stated in my booking notes that I required internet, no one responded to my request. On arriving at the hotel I was advised the internet was $22 per day or $66 per week. I was then advised you could only have 1 device connected for this price. You could not log one out and then connect another device. Some of the staff were very patronising and just kept saying they had to wait until the hotel manager was back on site on Monday. Why bother having duty managers, when they cannot make decisions?

If I had known, I would have booked another hotel.

Room not clean
The cleanliness of the room was only adequate, bathroom floor tiles looked like they hadn’t been mopped for a long time and carpet was not vacuumed behind the doors

Only one bedroom cleaned
I moved from a 1 bedroom apartment to a 2 bedroom apartment as I had a friend joining me. I was charged for the change as if I was only staying 2 nights. A rip off! The housekeeping only serviced the main bedroom. I had to call reception for an urgent makeup of the 2nd bedroom and the bathroom. Multiple people from reception tried to justify the lack of service stating if there was anything on the bed the staff would not move it. THERE WAS NOTHING ON THE BED.
The beds were very uncomfortable, 2 single beds pushed together with a big hard lump in the middle. Not a true king size bed.

The only positive was the location.

Room Tip: Next to the hotel there is construction, the hotel doesnt tell you when booking. DONT STAY HERE!!!!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank steve l
Dear Steve L

Thank you for your posting on Trip Advisor.

It was quite disappointing to read your posting on Trip Advisor especially after I discussed the internet issue in person in length and detail and was under the impression this was resolved. We supplied you with 2x complementary internet packages for two devices for the entire length of stay as well as complementary Nespresso Coffees in the morning as a gesture of goodwill.

As discussed at the time, the room features displayed on our website did not state that our internet was complementary however we have taken note from your feedback and at the time we spoke all necessary changes to our website were already made to avoid any further miss communication. In addition, our internet rates are very competitive compared to the market. We revise them on a regular basis to ensure we maintain them in line.

Thank you for your comments about the bathroom. Unfortunately some bathroom tiles experienced damage hence some may have discoloured due to this - we are however in the middle of a full soft refurbishment replacing all bathroom and kitchen tiles. I will share this feedback with the Housekeeping Team to ensure we address and maintain a normal high quality of cleanliness. I also have spoken to the Housekeeping Executive regarding the cleaning of the second room. Unfortunately in this instance both the room attendant and supervisor confirmed that the bed was covered with personal belongings and for security reasons of both our guests and room attendants we do not touch any personal belongings to avoid any possible miss-understanding.

I do apologies that we were not able to complementary upgrade you to a Two Bedroom Apartment Premier. We only have 8 of this particular room type and they are highly popular. I can assure you that we have given you a very competitive rate because you stayed with us for 6 nights.

Steve L both the Team and I always have been committed in rectifying your initial hiccup and both have spoken to you throughout your stay to ensure all was well and to be readily available to assist if necessary. If you have any further concerns please do not hesitate contacting me directly.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

I had a very brief overnight stay at the Adina for a business function, which I was running very late for. I was greeted by the lovely Shaya at reception, she went out of her way to ensure I was checked in & given my room key with the upmost professionalism & friendly ness in the quickest possible way. She arranged to have Atta ready to assist with parking my car which I had no time left too do so, Atta did this such a smile & the fact that he went above & beyond to help me was fantastic . The service standards that Shaya & Atta showed we're exemplary & a credit to hotel manager Kyle. With this fantastic experience I had while staying at the Adina I will always refer to the Adina as my number one accommodation preference in Perth.

• Stayed April 2013
Kyle K, General Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, Barrack Plaza, responded to this review, 1 May 2013
Dear Melanie A

Thank you for your time and your candid Trip Advisor Posting.

It was great speaking to you the other and really appreciate the time you took to acknowledge our Team with in particular mentioning Shaya and Atta. We strive to exceed expectations and I am truly happy you experienced this.

I will share your review and experience with the Team and both Shaya and Atta will be acknowledged & rewarded for being mentioned but also for their great level of service. I am sure they will be delighted to be mentioned in your review.

Thank you again and we are looking forward welcoming you back to the hotel upon your next visit for business or leisure.

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013

This hotel/apartment is defiantly not four stars but with the four star price. When we arrived at our room I noticed a strong musty mold odor which was very over powering. I had to open the balcony door to let some fresh air in to vent the place out. we ended up leaving the balcony door open all day during our stay to let the fresh air in, or else we would have been overpowered by that stench.

When taking a shower the water would leak from under the shower onto the bathroom floor no matter how little or how much the water would run.

The apartment wasn't vacuumed once during our 7 day stay. The reason I know this is because there were clumps of dust on the floor in one of the bedrooms and it was till there 7 days later.The bedside tables had an inch of dust on them. Had to get a cloth to wipe them down myself. The same applied to the coffee table which had stains on it which wasn't wiped down. Some of the cutlery had food particles still stuck on them. Had to give everything a very good wash and scrub to remove the old bits of food.

The dining room chairs had dust around the bottom of the frames which looked like they have never been cleaned.So had a nice thick layer of built up dirt on them.
We were very disappointed with our stay. If this was a three star apartment I could probably understand, Not was I was expecting from a four star property. The only good thing about this place was the location and the friendly staff. If cleanliness doesn't bother you, and you don't mind paying top dollar for a place that isn't cleaned and stinks then this place is for you. If not give this place a BIG miss.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Nella D
Kyle K, Manager at Adina Apartment Hotel Perth, Barrack Plaza, responded to this review, 30 April 2013
Dear Nella D

Thank you for your time and posting on Trip Advisor.

I regret that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion and I apologies for any inconvenience caused.

In regards to your comments about the shower. We currently are committed in a re-tiling program of all our bathrooms and kitchen floors. I am happy to advise that we are addressing this issue and should be resolved in the near future.

Please note that I have shared your experience with both the Executive Housekeeper as well as the Housekeeping Team and all points were addressed and discussed in length & detail.

Nella D, we are committed in delivering a high level of service and quality and I again apologies that you did not experience this throughout your stay.

It would be great to have the opportunity to discuss your stay in person and discuss & resolve you recent experience with us. I can be contacted on kkaya@adinahotels.com.au or alternatively you could contact me on 08 8267 0000.

Warm regards