“Expensive low grade pub food in a lovely setting”

Matilda Bay Restaurant
Ranked #23 of 1,369 Restaurants in Perth
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Business meetings, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Melbourne, Australia
“Expensive low grade pub food in a lovely setting”
Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Positives - lovely view over the river, friendly service staff, plenty of parking if you are driving
Negatives - food was awful. You can't put lipstick on a pig. Fancy presentation does not offset overly greasy, over cooked food. I suspect mine was put in fat that wasn't hot enough. I struggled with both vegetarian courses, my husband proclaimed his meal mediocre and my sister left half her seafood platter - too greasy. Wine is very expensive, with the cheapest bottles starting at well over $100. That's expensive if you are eating pub standard food. Sadly, I just cannot recommend this place and would not go back.

Visited May 2014
4 Thank Allcorners

• Indonesian first
“Finer details lacking”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Went to Matilda Bay for our anniversary. Ordered the crayfish . Was disappointed that it came on its own, apart from a small amount of dressing. It really needed a small salad but of course that was extra cost. Dessert was also expensive and nothing special, but the real disappointment was ordering Peppermint tea and then discovering a tea bag was used instead of fresh tea leaves.
A fine detail I thought was lacking from a Restaurant of this caliber .

• Visited March 2014
4 Thank Maggie M
“rude manager”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We booked a table for 11---birthday dinner. They seated us up against the back wall. It uncomfortable particularly for the 6 persons ( 4 of our party were elderly) . When we complained to the manager he was rude and very condesending he told us that he thought it was a good table however said we could move but the other tableon offer was going to be noisier---no real solution for us. Waitress was good, food was not bad however for the price we paid in the future we will go to one of the lovely at the Bureswood-----a bit futher to travel but would never be treated in that manner. I must add that at the time of booking we had to leave a $200 deposit our bill was $1500.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank ringo-cap
“Never fails to impress”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Not a cheap restaurant but it is certainly a great one. Impressive menu, wine list, food and service. I have been there a number of times over the years and it has never left me unimpressed. My favourite fine dining restaurant.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Geoff D
“Wonderful stake”
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

My partner took me here and I had the stake it was cooked perfect for me yes it is expensive but worth every cent as yiu grt what you pay for it

1 Thank Hayley H