The Great Southern Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
ibis Perth(Perth)
US$112
US$95
  • Room Service
Travelodge Hotel Perth(Perth)(Great Value!)
US$91
US$86
  • Room Service
Holiday Inn Perth City Centre(Perth)(Great Value!)
US$109
  • Room Service
Mantra on Murray(Perth)(Great Value!)
US$108
US$99
  • Room Service
Crowne Plaza Perth(Perth)(Great Value!)
US$129
US$114
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Fraser Suites Perth(Perth)(Great Value!)
US$145
US$92
US$173
US$162
Agoda.com
All reviewsbudget hotelundercover parkinghotel is locatedincluded breakfaststayed for one nightlate at nightperth hotelsnorthbridgecitycafesfoyer
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I really wanted to love my stay at the Ibis Styles... After travelling around Australia for a year, staying mainly in hostels and/or campervans, I was looking forward to spending four nights "in a proper hotel" before flying home to England. And although I did enjoy my time at this hotel, there were a number of things which I wanted to highlight in this review. I will list the pros and cons in the order we experienced thm in order to give a fair overview of our stay.

We arrived quite late in the evening after travelling all day (nearly 18 hours in total!) from far north queensland, was met by the slightly grumpy check in girl. BUT she did upgrade us (for free) from a standard room to premium room.

We were starving hungry after our journey and decided to phone down for something from the "grab and go" style menu they serve after 9pm. We chose a couple of paninis. After waiting over 20mins, and suprised not to have had a call to say the food was ready, my husband went down to reception. When there, the girl at reception was apologetic - she was about to call up to the room and explain that she had suddenly been really busy with people checking in so had not had the chance to make the snacks yet. Fair enough. So my husband decided to wait at reception while she went off to make them, however she proceeded to take over 20mins to prepare the sandwiches, and when she finallly brought them out they looked like a dogs dinner. One of them was also missing some of the ingredients described, but as we were so hungry and at this point had waited nearly 45mins decided just to eat them. In the morning, we mentioned this to the manager and he was EXCELLENT. Incredibly apologetic, very polite and extremely professional. He said he would ofcourse take them off the bill and offered us a free upgrade from continental breakfast to cooked. Lovely. The food generally was very good, even on the other days when we just enjoyed the contintental breakfast, we still really enjoyed it. Very good selection of cereals, fruit and toast.

After a long day exploring (the hotel is in a decent location, 10mins walk to the station and near plenty of restaurants) we were back relaxing in our room, when out of nowehere a random guy strolls in. He was as suprised as we were! There had been a rather ridiculous mix up at reception; his freidn staying at the hotel has the same first name as my husband and a girl on reception had not checked the details properly and instead just given him the key to our room! Slightly awkward and embarressing for everyone and could have been alot worse. Surely a potential security issue too? Once again, they were apologetic at reception so no harm done I suppose....

The last two nights of our stay we wre woken up at 4:50/5am by THE CLEANERS?!?! Who were crashing and clattering around in the two rooms next to us. They were vacuuming and generally being as noisy as one could. I could not fathom why on earth they would be cleaning at such an hour. On the second night, I found it so ridiculous, I called down to reception and the manager was apologetic and explained that they have airline staff who use the rooms, they had left for an early flight and another crew was coming in within the hour to take their place. Now, I understand this is a reason, but it is not a very good excuse in my mind. Surely, if you had this arrangement in place you would
(a) Put the new crew into a new room to avoid having to clean at 5am. If the hotel was full (unlikely in the off season) then
(b) DONT put 'normal' travellers like myself in a room surrounded by these rooms being cleaned at such an unsocaible hour. Or if you really have to then...
(c) make sure the cleaners are as quiet as possible, which they were not being in this case.

When checking out, we had a few drinks we had put on our room which we had to pay for, but suprise suprise, they had also forgotten to remove those pesky paninis. Explaining this to the staff took another 5mins and was a bit of a sour note to end on.

It's a shame I have to leave such a negative review, as the hotel is VERY clean, the rooms are nice, the management is very good and given the pretty good location, it was good value for money.

I would probably look elsewhere in Perth sadly....

Room Tip: Not room 92!! Otherwise you will be surrounded by cleaners banging about at 5am every morning.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Paul R, General Manager at The Great Southern Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear EJoyceG,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback following your stay at ibis Styles Perth last month.

Like you, I had mixed feelings reading through your feedback, pleased to see many positive aspects mentioned but also disappointed this was not consistent across all of the hotel service and facilities and for that I sincerely apologise. Please let me assure you we value all feedback and I have already passed on a copy of your comments to each of my department managers so they can review and make the necessary adjustments to our service delivery to improve the overall standard and communication in the hotel.

Once again, I wish to thank you for your patronage and for your constructive and balanced feedback. It certainly gives us the ability to address our shortfalls and we do hope we can welcome you back to Accor Hotels in the near future.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Paul R, General Manager at The Great Southern Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Returning from Albany, we decided on Northbridge for accommodation as it appeared to be closer to restaurants. Ibis Styles is close to ChinaTown with a large & varied mix of eating places close by although we opted for a 10-15 min walk to James Street for Italian.
Our Superior room (Queen & Sgl) $99, came with continental breakfast which was excellent and the hospitality manager went out of his way to help out where he could. Breakfast is 7am weekdays but be sure to check timing for weekends if you have early travel plans in case it is later. Beds were comfortable and room, although getting dated, was large enough and we didn't have trouble from outside noise. Noticed a hair dryer was missing but was provided with one by the room attendant quickly when asked. Parking, which is at a premium in both Perth and Fremantle is $10 and situated adjacent to the hotel (through glass doors into reception). We noticed airline staff were staying there. Staff are friendly and complimentary expresso coffee was available in the downstairs lounge. Over all, it was a good choice for us.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Karie2,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with fellow travellers regarding your stay with us at ibis Styles Perth. We always appreciate feedback on the hotel service and facilities.

I am pleased that overall the hotel proved a good choice for your accommodation needs and we hope we can welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Perth.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

Nice location right in Chinatown, Northbridge. Lively neighbourhood and hundreds of restaurants. But windowless room on 1st floor with fake view of the city and door between my room and next door not soundproof so I hear their tv and phone conversations. Hope they don't make too much noise tonight.....
Breakfast good. Expensive wifi. When will Australian accommodation realise that wifi is like running water these days - you need it!

Room Tip: Ask for a window and check that it doesn't have an adjoining room door
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Rod F,

Thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent stay with us at ibis Styles Perth. We always appreciate feedback on the hotel service and facilities.

Whilst I am pleased to see positive aspects mentioned, I have also noted the improvement areas outlined and will review your comments with our team. Some aspects can be addressed simply, others such as the soundproofing may require a more detailed and long term approach.

Thank you once again for your patronage and constructive feedback and we hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 12 July 2014