“Not Without Issues”

Cuisines: French, International
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: West Perth
Description: Opus is Perth's most glamorous dining experience.Expect inventive cuisine with French origins and modern Australian fresh flavours. Using the finest West Australian ingredients, our Executive Chef Todd Cheavins presents his creations in seasonal menus, reflecting the availability of local produce.
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We picked Opus for a birthday dinner as it markets itself as a high end fine dining experience. As such I judge it based on this.

Firstly the service was first rate. Excellent, professional and attentive. Every member of the floor staff were fantastic.

We started with scallops with chorizo foam, a poularde (chicken) and a mushroom consommé with truffle tortellini. The scallops were perfectly cooked but the dish lacked a wow factor (watch for the trend). The poularde was small and this dish lacked an identity. It was beautifully cooked but was a bit bland. The mushroom consommé lacked punch but the truffle tortellini were sensational.

For mains we had a canon of lamb with fondant potato. Seriously there wouldn't have been more than 50 grams of lamb on the plate. Again beautifully cooked but lacked a real impact. We also had a venison loin with beetroot and chocolate and a cherry sauce. Probably 75 grams of meat on the plate. The dish was good but wasn't setting new standards of culinary excellence. I have to admit I like it when a chef stretches the boundaries and presents something a bit different. This was a standard classic dish. Well executed but I have had the same dish and not had to fork out $58 for it.

The sides were some very anaemic looking baby carrots, a roasted beetroot with candied walnuts (delish) and soft fetta and french fries. Here is my biggest peeve. You are a fine dining restaurant and certainly charge like one. I expected hand cut, preferably triple cooked chips. We got straight out the bag frozen chips that every roadhouse and dive cafe serves and at $10 for a handful. Seriously pathetic.

So at this stage we were not unhappy but not relishing our choice either. At the price point the dishes just weren't cutting it.

Desserts were next and whoever is the dessert chef give that man/woman a pay rise. Superb desserts. We had a chocolate and orange delice. Too rich for me but the girls loved it. We also had the vanilla cheesecake with strawberry sorbet, shortcake ice cream. Sensational. Absolutely loved it. This was the standard of food we expected from Opus.

We finished with good coffee's and petit fours which were very good as well.

In summary, there was nothing wrong with the food. Everything was beautifully cooked but when you drop $470 on dinner for 3 it needs to be a high light and it wasn't. It lacked invention, at times flavour punch and some dishes just didn't have an identity. Classic cooking but I've had everything before but cheaper and better. It could just be me as I have had the same feelings about Friends restaurant in Perth that people rave about. Kind of a been there done that before feeling.

Less money can be spent for a better meal but maybe not for better service. Really deserves 3.5 stars in my opinion.

6  Thank Redaussie8

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Gained some serious brownie points by bringing the other half here for the degustation meal. The meal and service were faultless. An intimate atmosphere, but attentive service without being too 'in your face'. Highly recommend the degustation menu accompanied by one of their recommended wines.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Great restaurant in Perth. We had the best oysters of our whole visit here. Great restaurant and bar staff. One not to be missed.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I have never tasted food like I did at Opus Restaurant. My Husband & I had the Truffle Degustation Menu & we were not disappointed. I would highly recommend this to anybody who goes to this restaurant. The service was outstanding without being over the top. The staff certainly know how to make you feel special. We decided to have accompanying matching wine which is very expensive but the wine certainly matches with the foods you are eating. A big congratulation to all staff involved.

1  Thank johnoT
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Quite a nice meal but did not like the steak, very fatty and not the cut of meat I would expect from a restaurant of this calibre. The seared ocean trout was lovely. Service was very good, and an excellent wine list.