The Old Swan Barracks
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
  • Room Service
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I rarely write bad reviews but aviod this place! Me and my friend booked in for one nigth at the end of a backpacking trip and we upgraded to a private room. The staff were SO rude. The girl on reception had no customer service skills and was rude and abrupt. I had paid a deposit and when I asked her how much my balance was she sighed at me and said "you're not half making my job difficult" All I wanted to know was how much I needed to pay - I thought that was her job! We also met the manager who spoke to me and my friend like dirt. He was the rudest person I have ever met!!
We paid $90 for a private room which was a waste of money! We had an adjoning door to a large dorm and could hear EVERYTHING going on - music, talking etc. The boys in the next room weren't even being loud, the door was paper thin. A waste of $90, we might as well been stayin in the dorm next door and it would have only cost $26!!
The room was grubby and tired and the bathrooms were OK, but not the cleanest!! There are also signs around the hostle constantly telling what you will be fined for doing and what you will be thrown out for doing - I've never seen so many signs around a hostel and I've been travelling for a year!!
I've never been so glad to leave a hostel.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Rach-Scott9
Reviewed 18 May 2013

I had a bad vibe about this place immediately but had already booked. I didn't like the rooms which are dated and dirty! Or dirty and dated either way. Warning signs saying no food or alcohol in the rooms or you will be evicted so they want you in their overpriced bar. Some staff were ok but on the flip side some were extremely rude! The bathroom was aweful and the shower had no pressure so I had to throw the water over myself with my hands! Grrrr! All in all a grim place with no pride at all! Except for the banners saying they were a finalist (far from being a winner)
Dirt and dust to be seen everywhere. The laundry room will happily swallow $8 for wash and dry and is not open after 7pm. I'm looking forward to leaving tomorrow morning! I will never stay here again and would not recommend it to anybody!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank John_Davy
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I'm now thinking maybe all the hostels in Australia are disgusting. They should have a look of Asian countries' hostels!

They gave me the wrong key but I found the dormitory never locked even in the evening or everyone out. The room is so dirty and nearly all the lockers in room cannot use properly. No internet.

Fortunately the bathroom is ok and location is good.

But it doesn't worth 27 dollars.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Annwang923
Reviewed 7 March 2013

Good points- close to free buses into and around city. And these buses are really good. No ticket or cash needed. Just grab a map and explore the city. Very cool.
Breakfast is basically free help-yourself cornflakes, weet bisc or white bread. Condiments are also provided.
Note that milk is not provided so go to the Coles supermarket on the corner to get cheap(ish) cartons, not from reception.
Also, the kitchen amenities are poor so make sure you have a can opener. Pots & pans and plates cutlery etc are rented off the hostel at $10 deposit.

Rubbish points- very expensive for what is it. We paid $28 each for a bunk in an 8 bed dorm. The dorm isn't large and as other people have mentioned, a large number of the guests here are actual overseas 'residents' working in Perth. They treat the dorms like their student digs ie dirty clothes and rubbish everywhere. Our room stank.
If you can get through an hour in the hostel without overhearing some idiot from England moaning about how skint they are and they can't find a job and are stuck in Perth until they do blah blah meh then you've done well.
Cleaning standards are poor. Tables in the communal eating area are dirty and the floors are filthy. While we were there we did see staff making an effort to clean the shower rooms but I got the impression they're really annoyed with guests leaving such a mess everywhere and I can't blame them. Hostels of this size are pretty unsociable places, with little groups of particular nationalities keeping to themselves. A horrible atmosphere most of the time. The average age is early 20's so expect lots of rubbish conversations about not being able to find a job etc.
In our room I couldn't understand why when it was so beautiful outside there were so many people still in bed at 3 in the afternoon. People like that shouldn't be allowed a passport Ha!
Overall. Decent location. But choose somewhere else to stay unless your 21, living off a credit card and want to meet like minded job seeking filth mongers.
Also. Wifi is $3 for an hour. Connectivity is poor.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Andy H
Reviewed 4 March 2013

It's situated close to the city, that's all it has going for it. Very expensive for everything including the awful dirty, cockroach infested rooms, the old crap washers and dryers and general stuff like cartons of milk etc in reception. No value for money at all, was paying $250 p/w to stay in a 6 bed room on wonky beds and then have the nerve to extort $15 extra per day for parking or they clamp your car and demand $125! staff are just disgraceful bar 1 or 2 and have horrible attitudes, to say they work in hospitality is laughable. Poorly maintained and no air con. Terrible kitchens and claim to supply free breakfast but is really just bread, butter and cereal without milk. All this and they claim to be a HOTEL and not a hostel! Would strongly suggest to look elsewhere for accommodation.

• Stayed: January 2013