“Tongariro River Rafting is the best”
Review of Tongariro River

Ranked #1,129 of 1,790 things to do in North Island
Melbourne
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Tongariro River Rafting is the best”
Reviewed 9 February 2010

I did this trip with my partner and it's fair to say I was a little nervous in the beginning as you hear about so many people falling out of the rafts and I didn't want that to happen to me. Thommo was our guide and he put our mind at ease right from the start. The trip itself was amazing, just the most spectacular river to float down - we were wishing we could've taken our camera. I think you'd need a video camera to really do it justice. It was hard keeping your mind on the rafting as there was just so much to look at. Tongariro River Rafting are involved in a blue duck conservation project and we were fortunate enough to have one of these very rare birds pointed out to us on the trip.
The highlight would have to be the jump off the rock into the very 'refreshing' water - I was last to go as I didn't think I was brave enough but after watching everyone else, I didn't have a choice! Heaps of fun - a great day out and topped off with lunch when we got back to the base.
Have recommended this to heaps of my friends and would go back and do it in a heartbeat.

Kalamazoo, MI
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“An incredible whitewater rafting experience”
Reviewed 9 December 2008

The Tongariro River is incredibly beautiful. I recommend a 4 hr raft trip. We used raftingnewzealand.com (run by Luke and Pianika Boddington) - they did an absolutely splendid job. This was the best part of my NZ vacation!! - The river is cold and clear and fast, and the trip up a creek to jump off a waterfall was quite a thrill. Even the hot chocolate tasted better on the river...

Rafting New Zealand is based in Tokaanu on the North Island of NZ, near Turangi...If headed north from there, try the Terraces Hotel at Lake Taupo, the largest freshwater lake in teh Southern hemisphere - it's a great place to stay.