“Breathtaking again”
Review of Lake Waikaremoana

Lake Waikaremoana
Ranked #408 of 1,884 things to do in North Island
Reviewed 9 March 2013

We have been to Lake Waikaremoana numerous times but it is always so picturesque and remote. Allow plenty of time for the journey in.
We visited the Information Centre but were very disappointed that it has changed from the informative place it was a few years ago when it was housed on the other side of the road. There used to be Maori artifacts and information that added a lot to the experience of visiting Waikaremoana.
Enjoyed the walk into Lake Waikereiti - about 2 hrs return and quite an easy walk. It is mostly uphill on the way in. Stayed at the Motor Camp in a Fisherman's' cabin as everything was booked out. Fabulous view out the window. Camp facilities are ok - just getting a bit older.
Well worth the effort if you enjoy nature - the bush is beautiful.

Reviewed 8 March 2013

I spent two days at Lake Waikaremoana, staying at Hikihiki B&B in Tuai (warm and welcoming...I highly recommend this B&B). On my full day in the forest, I walked the Ruapani track which takes about 6 hours for roughly 15 km. It was raining, so I got to experience the old growth rainforest in it's full glory! About one hour in, I came across 3 men hiking out from a multi-day tramp and after passing them, I didn't see another person. On the last day I drove the rest of the unsealed track north and it took me about 4 hours to get to Rotorua from Tuai...the drive was breathtaking...stunning views plus wild horses!

Reviewed 25 February 2013

We've just returned from a trip to Waikaremoana via the Hawke's Bay and Hastings. This in itself was an eye opening trip with so many differences which NZ is known for. Waikaremoana is unbelievably stunning. So peaceful and untouched, surrounded by rainforest. If you don't mind the unsealed winding roads it's well worth the effort.

We came back through a winding metal road into partly National Park and partly privately owned Maori land. We had heard from others that there were wild horses on the side of the road and have been for many, many years so our eyes were peeled! (I'm a horse buff from way back)
There was evidence of horses in the early stream beds - complete with DOC public toilet - so we were well catered for. The horse evidence was fairly old and could have meant anything.
A few k's further on and the horse poo started to look fresher, all on the road (this is where it started to get exciting). More and more of it as we drove on.
Then round the bend and there IT was - a ewe necked, boof headed chestnut. Real brumby breeding!
As we drove further there was more poo. Too much for just one nag....Suddenly to my left there was a black/brown. Handsome and well fed. Then two or three more - all doing their own thing and just grazing and only half interested in us. There were pintos and paints, palominos and duns. Some bays and chesnuts. The exhilaration at seeing all these was fantastic, ok they had to be introduced - there were just too many different colours. All were healthy, none were in paddocks. This was over a distance of 50 kilometers or so. There were some houses, remote and Maori owned I assumed in fairly remote areas.
Driving on we came around a bend and there was another band. A chestnut stallion (nice), a classy dun mare with either a cremello or albino foal at foot - about 4 months old. With blue eyes. Very nice indeed. He's going to grow into a stunning stallion, the presence was there already. The dam maybe had some Thoroughbred and/or Arab. The rest of the group I just don't remember. What a buzz!

But wait - there's more!!!

Further on we rounded a corner and there was a group of the most beautiful horses I have ever laid my eyes on. The reason being - they were all the same - at this point we stopped!
I would guess they were around 16 hands on average. Stunning duns! There were several in the group but strangely two were almost identical?! In face, beauty and type plus markings, with some white with black points. Mind boggling really. I didn't get photos because I really didn't want to break the spell of them looking straight back at me. And the camera was in the back of our RV??? They were about 5m from us - they live on the road so are used to vehicles. The bush is too dense for them to get into. That was the other thing - these horses were unblemished and in summer coat they gleamed. The group was 6 or 8 and were mostly if not all duns which was another remarkable thing. This suggested to me that strong breeding lines had been around for quite a while.

I know these animals have been introduced but as they are mentioned in what can be read on the area, they've been around for a very long time, and have banded into groups and even more remarkably have produced line bred excellence.

All in all we estimated we saw between 50 and 60 horses.

I have since searched the net for more info but as far as I can see no one has bothered to photogragh them, perhaps, like us they were just too over whelmed - or maybe we just were in the right place at the right time.

Reviewed 10 February 2013 via mobile

Tramped for 2 days and 2 nights staying in DOC huts. Walk is mostly in woodland but views of the lake every so often even when not walking directly beside it. Well kept paths and welcome swimming opportunities. Worth the effort to get to and from if you like scenery and shaded walking.

Reviewed 28 January 2013

Travelled through to Waikaremoana by motorcycle. The road is quite challenging in parts especially with a pillion. 100+km of gravel road, some freshly graded. A couple of short walks in the beautiful bush. Travelled on to Tuai for the night and stayed at this fantastic accomodation, The Tuai Suite. Martha and Patrick have created a beautiful spot to stay and relax after a hard day.

8  Thank SmokeyRH3