Auckland City Hotel is well located, one block away from Queen Street, which is the main street of Auckland Centre. Cafe’s, restaurants, convenience stores and ATM’s are all within a minute’s walk. The Skytower is literally just up the road. Access to public transport is very easy, so in general the location is perfect, although the Auckland City Mission across the road attracts the usual group of vagabonds and societies degenerates, but you wouldn’t be standing on the footpath out the front of the hotel for long and staff at the hotel ensure there is no problem inside the hotel.
The entry foyer is large and comfortable, with a business centre, separate meeting room, computers and nice big seats and a TV. There were always plenty of staff waiting to serve at the counter, so there was no delay in my dealings with them.
The hotel boasts on-site cafe, restaurant and spa – I didn’t try any, but they are there if you need them. Two fast and efficient lifts provide access to the room. Mine was on the 9th floor and was very roomy. Large, comfortable bed, full length desk, TV, fridge with tea/coffee facilities, glasses, plenty of drawers, separate chair and coffee table and a large wardrobe containing a safe were all packed in efficiently and without cluttering the room. The bathroom was similarly large and comfortable. All in all the room seemed very new and fresh. The room includes a heater and a fan for temperature control and the windows could be opened as well to allow some fresh air in. TV even has a hotel channel listing the local sights! The only annoying thing is that the shower is not enclosed, so once you have a shower the entire bathroom floor gets wet which was a little annoying.
My room looked straight at an adjoining apartment complex so there was not much of a view. Street noise was significant, as was noise from the neighbouring apartments, especially when I opened the window. The blinds are reasonable, but if you are a late-riser like me, they do not do much to block out the morning sun.
Internet costs were nothing short of ridiculous, but they included 30 minutes per day free wifi in the foyer area. I wouldn’t even bother with hotel internet – there are plenty of shops and restaurants that provide free wifi nowadays (the Gloria Jeans coffee shop on Victoria Street is 5 minutes away and allows 1 hour of internet with a purchase – good speed too!)
So pretty much a big thumbs up across the board for the hotel. Great location, good staff and pretty comfortable. Highly recommended.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 1912, The year of the Titanic, was when the lobby and entrance of the Auckland City Hotel - Hobson St was originally erected. The hotel has retained the character and charm of its past enhanced with a new building housing 138 rooms with contemporary decor and modern conveniences. The Auckland City Hotel is ideally located at 157 Hobson Street - in the heart of Auckland's entertainment and business district with easy access to motorways. Only five minute's walk to the Sky Tower, Aotea Square, Civic Theatre and Queen Street, the Auckland City Hotel offers convenient, environmentally friendly accommodation for business and leisure travelers alike. Enjoy a meal at hotel Cafe & Restaurant, renew with a read of the Word for Today in our rooms or relax with a workout at our offsite gym and swimming pool, the Auckland City Hotel is called to serve more than just your accommodation needs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Hotelopia, Agoda, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St Hotel Auckland Central
- Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St New Zealand