I did get an EXCELLENT deal for the room I was in, plus I received an upgrade on arrival ( Which as pointless as it gave an extra queen bed when I was a solo traveller).
This place had too many bad vibes about it, and most of them were spot on.
Firstly, within the guest comments the only thing I'd noted before my booking was that it is IMPERATIVE that WiFi works in my room. This never happened, and I spent about 3 hours trying to reconcile with the staff on what to do..eventually it was fixed..with much troublesome effort.
Upon arrival, I found the (Malaysian?) lady at the front to be abrasive and insouciant. Staff seemed to treat me as more of a hindrance than a customer. They were not particularly helpful on advising what to do /where to go in Auckland as it was my first time here in almost 11 years.
The room itself was average. The bathroom was very small, and as another user mentioned, the water actually leaks into the kitchen area (and as a result I almost slipped at one point).
There were far too few amenities..all I had was a tiny bottle of soap!
I wouldn't stay here again- which is why i will spend the final night in the rydges- however, the value and location are probably worth the $$ if you want a cheap hassle-free sleep over.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 1912, The year of the Titanic, was when the lobby and entrance of the Auckland City Hotel - Hobson St was originally erected. The hotel has retained the character and charm of its past enhanced with a new building housing 138 rooms with contemporary decor and modern conveniences. The Auckland City Hotel is ideally located at 157 Hobson Street - in the heart of Auckland's entertainment and business district with easy access to motorways. Only five minute's walk to the Sky Tower, Aotea Square, Civic Theatre and Queen Street, the Auckland City Hotel offers convenient, environmentally friendly accommodation for business and leisure travelers alike. Enjoy a meal at hotel Cafe & Restaurant, renew with a read of the Word for Today in our rooms or relax with a workout at our offsite gym and swimming pool, the Auckland City Hotel is called to serve more than just your accommodation needs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotelopia, Agoda, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Odigeo, Ebookers, Priceline, LateRooms, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St Hotel Auckland Central
- Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St New Zealand