“Central location”

Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St
Ranked #25 of 66 Hotels in Auckland Central
Reviewed 16 November 2013

The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. I had a light bulb that wasn't working and I had to call the front desk to get it fixed. It only took 5-10mins until someone showed up and helped me change the light bulb with no extra charges or anything. I also had to check out earlier than planned. The staff there was very helpful and willing to refund the full amount of the nights I prepaid but won't be staying for. The hotel room I had was very clean and it was very comfortable. It also had a heater handy inside the room. I must say, the wi-fi internet was extremely expensive so I ended up not using it. There was a kitchen in my room and it came with a lot of utensils and pots.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,017)

Reviewed 5 November 2013

very bad customer service, forgot that we paid for breakfast, looked at me and my partner like we had done something wrong the entire time, one person said hello toys the entire time we were there for four days, said there is a gym but its not in the same complex, very bad parking facilities stay clear even if they have a good deal!!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank sue538
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Clean room and good value, and location is not too bad. The only complaint about the room was the fact that our room was missing a shade/curtain though so sleep quality wasn't that great because the street light and light from neighbouring building streamed through. Not much in terms of ambiance but if you're spending just a night, you won't mind it. Hotel staff are not super friendly but certainly efficient, it's no different from other hotels in large cities.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 October 2013

OK place, tidy and presentable and good for 1 night. Have stayed in nicer & larger rooms for the same place else where around the city centre so wouldn't stay here for more than 1 night again.
Friendly staff thou and good location

1  Thank Mike J
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I did get an EXCELLENT deal for the room I was in, plus I received an upgrade on arrival ( Which as pointless as it gave an extra queen bed when I was a solo traveller).

This place had too many bad vibes about it, and most of them were spot on.

Firstly, within the guest comments the only thing I'd noted before my booking was that it is IMPERATIVE that WiFi works in my room. This never happened, and I spent about 3 hours trying to reconcile with the staff on what to do..eventually it was fixed..with much troublesome effort.

Upon arrival, I found the (Malaysian?) lady at the front to be abrasive and insouciant. Staff seemed to treat me as more of a hindrance than a customer. They were not particularly helpful on advising what to do /where to go in Auckland as it was my first time here in almost 11 years.

The room itself was average. The bathroom was very small, and as another user mentioned, the water actually leaks into the kitchen area (and as a result I almost slipped at one point).

There were far too few amenities..all I had was a tiny bottle of soap!

I wouldn't stay here again- which is why i will spend the final night in the rydges- however, the value and location are probably worth the $$ if you want a cheap hassle-free sleep over.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Keegan S
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Great location for staying near the CBD, right near the Sky Tower. Annoying having to hand car keys in overnight and $25 is a little pricey for parking. We picked a standard room which is starting to look a bit dated, net curtains a bit dirty, door needs painting etc. BUT, perfectly fine for one night at the price you pay and had good nights sleep.

1  Thank fi_d_13
Reviewed 23 October 2013

A better location than we'd imagined from simply looking at the Auckland city map. Very close to the InterCity bus terminal, Sky City Tower, iSITE, etc., and a comfortable walk from the wharf. Only minor problem is that it's near the top of an ancient volcano, so no matter where we walked it was up hill on the way back.

Nice room at a good price; it suited us better than a luxury hotel. The staff were (was?) friendly and helpful, especially when we arrived way before normal check-in. A little noisy a couple of times ... we had the room on our floor closest to the elevator. Internet connection was not free ... it seemed a little expensive so we went out to one of the many free WiFi locations nearby.

We look forward to coming back here for six more days next week.

Room Tip: Ask for a room down the hall, not close to the elevator.