“Comfort and cleanliness”

Ranked #23 of 67 Hotels in Auckland
Melbourne
“Comfort and cleanliness”
Reviewed 10 December 2008

I chose this hotel on the basis of good reviews regardless of it being under a year old under present mangement. I was very pleased with what I got. Out of the blue when I checked in, they upgraded me to a double bedroom suite which was far larger than I needed. My head sank into super soft pillows each night. Every day I returned, my dishes had been washed and packed away. The suite was very clean, and my possessions were not disturbed. At night, it was quiet. I couldn’t hear other rooms and being on the 10th floor, I could barely hear the street. I liked the tv having access to Sky News and Sky Movies amongst other channels. I had no problems with staff.

The location was good, being one block from SkyTower up the top of the hill. If you need cheap transport there, catch the bus from the airport, then get onto the free red City Circuit bus and get off at the tower.

My only gripes were little things. The top of the stairs had nails for the carpet that needed to be better nailed down. I had to close the bathroom door each night due to noise through the ventilation vent. And on two days the cleaner had made everything tidy but had opened both the curtains. Since this was without A/C (as it seems is much of NZ), the place warmed up.The only thing missing was a restaurant which was still "under construction". As a result, there was no food via room service. However the location meant that there was plenty of takeway and convenience stores within a couple of blocks, some open 24hrs.

In my books, it was certainly four star, perhaps with a plus.

• Liked — quietness, comfort and cleanlieness
  • Disliked — lack of inhouse catering
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank AussieMike22

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed 8 December 2008

I had a few days in Auckland before taking off on an extended overseas trip, and needed somewhere I could do some last minute work and also somewhere close to the AK79 reunion gig. This place worked out great.

The one complaint I do have is that I did not know about the $25 a day parking charge until it came time to check out - luckily I only had a car for one day. Other than that, the location was just great, the bed was comfy, the TV was shiny, the bathroom was clean, the staff was friendly.

What else could you ask for? Oh, I know: make the wireless internet a decent price. 60 cents a minute is too much. Luckily, there is an Esquires coffee shop just down the road with free internet, and a very cheap and good internet cafe just round the corner from the hotel, towards Queen Street.

• Liked — Room price.
  • Disliked — Internet price.
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Zealand
Reviewed 12 November 2008

17th October 2008
I stayed at this hotel with my mother and wasn't expecting to be surprised as little had been said about this place.
Well much to my delight the ecco friendly hotel was clean tidy and refreshing. They have done well with the basics and the astute traveller will appreciate this. I booked at last minute and paid half the price of the rake rate which would be difficult to justify not staying here.

Stayed October 2008
1 Thank Tui08
Brisbane
Reviewed 3 November 2008

This place is great value for the money. We got a double room on wotif.com for NZ$110/night.

The fit out is new, nice flat screen TV, sure not much of a view and the (new) bathroom is a bit on the small side but for the price you can't complain.

Really central to everything, 7-11 type store right across the road, and yes valet parking is $25 but suited us as we could park in the basement and leave really early for the airport in the morning.

If you are on a budget and can find a good deal on a last minute type website I think this is really good value.

• Liked — Location and price
  • Disliked — Smallish bathroom
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple