I chose this hotel on the basis of good reviews regardless of it being under a year old under present mangement. I was very pleased with what I got. Out of the blue when I checked in, they upgraded me to a double bedroom suite which was far larger than I needed. My head sank into super soft pillows each night. Every day I returned, my dishes had been washed and packed away. The suite was very clean, and my possessions were not disturbed. At night, it was quiet. I couldn’t hear other rooms and being on the 10th floor, I could barely hear the street. I liked the tv having access to Sky News and Sky Movies amongst other channels. I had no problems with staff.
The location was good, being one block from SkyTower up the top of the hill. If you need cheap transport there, catch the bus from the airport, then get onto the free red City Circuit bus and get off at the tower.
My only gripes were little things. The top of the stairs had nails for the carpet that needed to be better nailed down. I had to close the bathroom door each night due to noise through the ventilation vent. And on two days the cleaner had made everything tidy but had opened both the curtains. Since this was without A/C (as it seems is much of NZ), the place warmed up.The only thing missing was a restaurant which was still "under construction". As a result, there was no food via room service. However the location meant that there was plenty of takeway and convenience stores within a couple of blocks, some open 24hrs.
In my books, it was certainly four star, perhaps with a plus.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 1912, The year of the Titanic, was when the lobby and entrance of the Auckland City Hotel - Hobson St was originally erected. The hotel has retained the character and charm of its past enhanced with a new building housing 138 rooms with contemporary decor and modern conveniences. The Auckland City Hotel is ideally located at 157 Hobson Street - in the heart of Auckland's entertainment and business district with easy access to motorways. Only five minute's walk to the Sky Tower, Aotea Square, Civic Theatre and Queen Street, the Auckland City Hotel offers convenient, environmentally friendly accommodation for business and leisure travelers alike. Enjoy a meal at hotel Cafe & Restaurant, renew with a read of the Word for Today in our rooms or relax with a workout at our offsite gym and swimming pool, the Auckland City Hotel is called to serve more than just your accommodation needs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotelopia, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Ebookers, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, LateRooms, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St Hotel Auckland Central
- Auckland City Hotel-Hobson St New Zealand